Isn’t waking up in the morning the hardest thing to do? If you not a morning person and always start your day swearing at the alarm clock, this guide is just for you. Chances are you’re already dismally enslaved to your schedule, which unfortunately exposes you to many sleeping disorders such as insomnia or sleep apnoea, and the disturbing thing is it is considered quite normal. It is not! Sleeping disorders are pretty dangerous and if aggravated can cause many physical and mental problems. Read through the guide to know more about the ravages of sleep disorders and how to cure them.
What’s keeping you up?
Are you and headaches old acquaintances? That’s probably because you couldn’t get a proper night’s sleep. The reasons might be the ever growing work pressure and deadlines that take a toll on your sleeping habits. Depression and mental stress might be another cause for those long restless nights. Even the seemingly harmless afternoon naps and midnight snacks can contribute to insomnia. Also many surveys have proven how smartphones and laptops are fast becoming an unhealthy addiction that waste precious hours of sleep.
Why is it important to have a good night’s sleep?
The amount of sleep you get at night determines your behavior the next morning. But it’s just not a matter of how many hours you sleep but how well you sleep; you might still wake up tired and cranky if all you did was change sides and stare at the ceiling half the night. The quality of sleep matters. Sleep is important for your mental and physical well-being and getting ample of it keeps you fresh, youthful and rejuvenated.
Start the day on a positive note
You’ll be less irritable during daytime if you get good rest at night. And a good start leads to better things in the course of the day! As you are well rested, your brain will be much more aware and you’ll be able to take better decisions. It boosts your immunity and you’re less likely to fall ill. Also lack of sleep makes you careless and forgetful. With proper sleep you’re more alert and active
Wake up refreshed and active
Only after a night of peaceful sleep you’ll notice how active you are in the morning! You will be so much more productive. Your brain and body will be alert to the surroundings. No more morning crankiness and fatigue, proper 6-7 hour sleep cures it all!
No more body sprains and headaches
Sleep is a great way to stay in shape! Believe it or not but proper sleep boosts your metabolism and helps you shed extra kilos. Also insomnia usually results in chronic headaches and sprains. Sleep disorders is a side effect of depression, proper sleep helps you stay positive and fit.
Get glowing refreshed skin instantly!
According to a 2010 study published by the British Medical Journal, regular sleep can really work wonders for your skin. Get rid of the puffy red eyes and dark circles and replace it with fresh glowing skin! Now you know why Aurora was called the sleeping beauty! Proper sleep really does gives you a healthy glow making you look much younger and beautiful.
How to sleep better?
As discussed above, your sleeping patterns drastically affect your lifestyle. Follow these simple tips for a good night’s sleep
Tire yourself physically
The main problem with the urban lifestyle is that people are mentally exhausted but not physically. We sit in air conditioned offices, in front of the computer hardly moving a muscle but still get tired. We don’t indulge in physical labour. Exercise regularly and sweat it out in the gym. A person who is physically exhausted would fall asleep as soon as his head touches the pillow unlike one who is physically active but mentally tired. Also many yoga asanas are known to cure sleep apnoea and snoring issues.
Switch off your mobile phone
Night time is for sleeping and not aimlessly scrolling through your Facebook news feed or chatting with friends. Turn off the television, the laptop and any other electronic gadget that might be a hindrance to your sleep. An average human being requires 6-7 hours of sleep, getting any less sleep would make you moody and stressful.
Follow the “early to bed, early to rise” philosophy
Unfortunately for us this popular phrase has now been deformed to “late to bed, early to rise, makes it hard to open my eyes”! If you want a good night’s sleep you have to take some major steps and really alter your lifestyle. The trick is to mould your body clock accordingly to wake up fresh and fully rested. This way you’ll be active and energized throughout the day.
Quit smoking, alcohol and other addictions
Other than the fact that these habits are very dangerous and quite fatal, it also is a major cause for those dark circles and the gaunt face. The everyday stress and many unhealthy habits such as smoking, drinking and other drugs are one of the main reasons you cannot fall asleep at night. Also avoid drinking wine or any other beverage such as tea or coffee before going to sleep as caffeine is known to kill sleep.
Change the mattress and pillows
Another reason why many can’t sleep is because they are not comfortable in their beds. The hard pillows and bumpy mattress might result in back aches and sprains. Go for a bed that is comfortable and soft. Also ensure that you have a quiet and peaceful atmosphere at night.
The bottom line
Proper sleep can cure many diseases and increase your longevity as well. Sleep helps us cope up with the chaos and stress of our lives. It feels amazing to wake up after a full night’s sleep without any interruptions as you’re ready to take on the challenges and face the obstacles of the following day headlong!
Home remedies to remove dark circles
Raw potato is a natural bleaching agent which helps reduce dark circles, lighten and brighten your skin near your eyes.
- All you need to do is freeze 2 medium size potatoes for few minutes.
- Cut it into small pieces and mash the potatoes to extract the juice.
- Now take a cotton ball and dip in into the potato juice.
- Place the cotton ball on the affected skin and wait until your skin soaks the juice entirely.
- Ensure that the cotton ball covers the affected portion.
- Wash it off with cold water after 15 minutes.
- After washing it off apply some moisturizing cream on the affected area.
- Apply this technique daily for faster healing.
- Else you can directly place potato slices on the affected skin if the above technique seems to be more time consuming.
- Repeat the procedure in the same way as mentioned above.
Cucumber is the best astringent you can opt for as it lightens, brightens and soothes your skin. It is also very effective in reducing dark circles and a brilliant skin toning agent. It is one remedy on which you can rely completely and you won’t have to face any side effects. Though it does not remove dark circles completely but it reduces the effect and soothes your skin.
- Take a fresh cucumber and cut it into thick slices of equal width.
- Freeze the cucumber for at least 30 minutes before you apply them on the affected areas of your skin.
- Place them on your skin and let your skin absorb all the benefits it has to offer for around 10 to 12 minutes.
- Rinse off with normal water and dab your skin with a dry cotton towel.
- Alternatively you can extract some cucumber juice and mix it with 2 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Mix it well and use a cotton ball to dab it on the affected region of your skin.
- Wash off after 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat the above mentioned process for 10 to 14 days.
Being a beauty and skin care ingredient, rose water consists of many beneficial components. These components or properties does not only cleanse your skin but also helps in removing dark circles effectively.
- Dip 2 cotton balls in a bowl of rose water.
- Let them soak the rose water for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Now take them and place it on the dark circles.
- Make sure it covers the affected portion completely and wait for 10 minutes.
- Remove them after 10 minutes.
- Practice this process 2 times a day for few weeks.
Almond oil is the most beneficial skin problem treating remedy. It helps in reducing dark circles, skin rashes, redness, skin irritation and dryness of the skin.
Almond oil is the most beneficial skin problem treating remedy. It helps in reducing dark circles, skin rashes, redness, skin irritation and dryness of the skin. It moisturizes and lightens up the skin tone.
- Wash your hands before applying this method.
- Take few drops of almond oil on your finger tips and massage it on the affected region tenderly.
- Keep on massaging until your skin soaks the oil completely.
- Do this every night before going off to sleep.
- Wash it off the next morning with cold water.
- If your skin still seems oily then cleanse it with a mild face wash.
- Keep on repeating this process until you get rid of dark circles completely.
Tomato is not only a natural bleaching agent but also a great skin lightening agent too. It consists of certain antioxidant properties which helps remove dark circles completely.
- Take a fresh tomato and extract it juice.
- Take 1 teaspoon of it and mix it with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Use your fingers to spread the mixture gently on the affected region of your skin.
- Wait for 10 minutes before you rinse off with cold water.
- Apply this method twice a day for a week at least.