When you are pregnant, the foods that you eat and drink can affect the health of your child. The foods and beverages that you consume would possibly even present a danger to your unborn child if you do not take care to avoid some of them. The foods such as lean meats, vegetables, legumes, etc., should form a part of your daily diet. Here are certain foods that you may want to avoid during your pregnancy.
[ Hindi version ]
Unpasteurized dairy foods, luncheon meats and hot dogs
These foods are susceptible to a bacterium that causes Listeriosis called the Listeria monocytogenes. The presence of the bacterium in the body may result in stillbirth, miscarriage, and even other severe health problems. Apart from luncheon meats, and hot dogs, you should consider avoiding seafood that has been smoked and refrigerated, refrigerated pates, etc., since they contain the bacterium. Seafood that has been refrigerated is safe, so long as it is a part of a cooked dish such as a casserole. Frankfurters and luncheon meats are safe to eat, so long as you reheat them.
A Safe Pregnancy Diet for a Healthy Baby
The food and drinks taken during pregnancy influences the health of the child. Pregnancy affects the immune system of the woman and both the child and mother are susceptible to the bacteria and viruses caused by food. There are some bugs like Listeria and Toxoplasma can infect the newborn and cause serious diseases and health problems.
Foods To Avoid During Pregnancy
The pregnancy diet should include whole and lightly processed foods like grains, legumes, lean meats, low –fat dairy products, fruits and vegetables.
- Undercooked animal foods like raw oysters, clams, sushi, unpasteurized eggs, raw cookie and homemade cakes should be avoided as they may contain some bacteria, virus and parasites causing foodborne diseases.
- Hot Dogs, Luncheon Meats, and Unpasteurized Dairy Foods can contain bacteria which cause Listeriosis, which can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth or other health problems in the newborn. Besides these some processed meats and seafood may also contain the bacteria – Listeria
- Unpasteurized dairy foods like curd and cheese made from raw, unpasteurized milk are also prone to Listeria.
- Certain Seafood and Fish and large fish like shark, swordfish, and king mackerel have a high content of mercury, which interferes with the normal development of the baby’s brain and nervous system.
- Fishes caught from rivers, lakes, ponds, and streams may contain industrial pollutants which can be dangerous for the developing nervous system of the baby.
- Caffeinated Coffee can cross the placenta and have an effect on the baby’s heart rate. Doctor’s recommend a small amount of caffeine to some mothers, but it is best to avoid it during pregnancy.
- Liver and all liver products like liver sausage and liver pate contain high amount of Vitamin A which can be related to birth defects in babies. A limited amount of Vitamin is Ok, but high doses of multi-vitamin and fish liver supplements should be avoided by pregnant women.
- Uncooked Eggs should be avoided completely during pregnancy. They pose a great risk of salmonella poisoning.
- Blue Cheese like queso fresco cheese can lead to some food borne diseases. It is made from unpasteurized milk and is linked with Listeriosis which can cause a fatal infection and also lead to miscarriage or stillbirth.
- Brie cheese and feta cheese, can pose potential health risks to the mother and the unborn baby. These soft cheeses are made from unpasteurized milk and are commonly linked to foodborne illnesses. The slightest form of this infection can lead to severe illness in the child, miscarriage or stillbirth.
There is a lot of controversy in selecting foods and so it becomes difficult to know which foods are safe during pregnancy. But whatever is the theory, it must be remembered that foods that have a high content of mercury or Vitamin A must be avoided. They can pose a serious health problem in the baby. Foods that are known to cause Listeriosis and salmonella poisoning must be avoided. Other foods which a pregnant woman must avoid are unwashed vegetables, certain types of raw fish and alcohol.
Certain fish and seafood
Big fish such as tilefish, swordfish, shark and king mackerel have high concentrations of mercury as compared to other fish. As a byproduct of coal mining plants, mercury interferes with the normal development of the nervous system and the brain of the growing child. The Food and Drug Administration recommends that women that are carrying eat more of seafood that is low in mercury levels. The albacore, for instance, has more mercury than tuna that has been canned and, for this reason, should be avoided. Fish that have been caught while fishing in ponds and lakes may also contain high concentrations of mercury and other industrial effluents that can cause havoc in the nervous system.
Sprouts of raw vegetables
Mung, fresh radish, alfalfa and other vegetable sprouts should be avoided during pregnancy, as per the Food and Drug Administration. The primary reason behind this is that bacteria can infiltrate into the vegetables and would be nearly impossible to wash out. It is, however, okay to consume sprouts that have been thoroughly cooked.
Alcohol, unpasteurized juices and lead are to be completely avoided during pregnancy. Alcohol can take away the cells of nutrients and oxygen, which in turns prevents the proper development of the fetus. If the womb is exposed to alcohol, then it can have permanent effects on the physical growth and the intellectual abilities of the child.
Juices that are unpasteurized and have been purchased from farms, roadside stands, or from stores are to be avoided altogether. These products are highly susceptible to E. Coli and the other germs. Examine the label once before buying the product to see whether the juice has been pasteurized or not.
The effects of drinking lead include preterm delivery, low birth, and the delays in the development of children. If you have a home that has pipes made of lead, then it would seep into the drinking water, and even home filtration systems would not be effective in filtering the lead. If you are having doubts about the quality of the water from your tap, then have it tested.
Consuming caffeine in any of these forms – energy drinks, tea or coffee – would result in reduced birth weight, miscarriage, or even stillbirth. Some researchers, however, suggest that you can take in caffeine, but not in quantities that are more than 200 milligrams per day.
Listeria contaminates deli meat and taking in such meats can cause miscarriage. Listeria can lead to blood poisoning, when it crosses the placenta and can even take away the life that is being formed. If you are however considering taking in deli meat, make sure you reheat it till it is piping hot.
Avoid raw eggs, since they contain salmonella. Homemade ice cream, homemade mayonnaise or homemade Caesar dressings may be prepared using raw eggs. If you cook the recipe well, then you could avoid exposure to salmonella. You can also take in commercially prepared dressings, ice cream, and eggnogs since they would not increase the risk of your being exposed to salmonella.
Vegetables are good for the health. You would need to eat them, but toxoplasmosis can sometimes contaminate the soil that they are growing in. You would need to, for this reason, wash the vegetables before consuming them.
Feta cheese is famous in the form of cheese which is used in salads and pastas. Your craves of it will be more during your pregnancy, if you’re a cheese lover. It is important to know that cheese is safe. Feta cheese is soft, unpasterurized cheese, which is linked to foodborne illness. The most popular foodborne illnesses that are particular with cheese is Listeriosis. Consuming foods with the Listeria causes flu, which is like a symptom that not has any lasting effect or damage to your health. Avoid cheeses that have unpasteurized on the label. So opt for the safer choice like mozzarella cheese instead of feta cheese. If you are infected with Listeriosis, then there’s the risk of miscarriage. Premature labor and severe illness are also causes of Listeriosis. Some meats are also risk during pregnancy because they contain Listeria that can helps to these meats.
The unpasteurized milk or similarly cheese is not good for unborn baby. But, it is recommended don’t drink raw milk such as sheep or goat milk. Unpasteurized milk along with uncooked and unwashed food can carry pathogens that can make you extremely sick. Raw milk is significantly higher risk of being contaminated with Listeria compared to pasteurized milk. It can result in the disease Listeriosis.
Unpasteurized milk is known as to cause foodborne illness such as Listeriosis. Listeriosis is a dangerous infection that can lead to miscarriage, severe illness and even stillbirth. The danger from getting with pregnant women being at a higher risk of getting Listeriosis and unborn babies at risk of developing serious complications from it. It can advise their pregnant patients to avoid unpasteurized milk during their whole term.
Nitrate rich foods
Chemical contain foods deteriorate our health easily. Bacons, sausages, diet sodas, artificial sweetener etc., are some of the known nitrate rich food items. The nitrate rich food are not harmful but can lower the nutritional values. Thus, nitrate rich foods are unhealthy for pregnant woman. Daily consumption of high quality can lead to fetal abnormalities and poor development of unborn babies.
[ Hindi version ]