Hormones are chemicals that are produced by the cells or glands in the human body. They control a number of functions of the body. Hormones are responsible for control of cell’s life span, stimulation of growth, regulation of metabolism, control of immune system, sexual functions and reproductive cycle. It is important to keep proper balance of the hormones to keep the body healthy.
Role of hormones
Different types of hormones are required by the body in different stages of life. Some are required in the growing phase of the body. Others are important during the reproductive stage. The hormones tend to decline with age, once the natural cycle is complete.
Hormonal imbalance leads to a number of problems leading to depression, memory related problems, hair fall, stunted growth, menstrual cramps, fatigue and many other problems. The main ways to balance hormones is by making changes in lifestyle and through specific foods, herbs and nutrients.
Some aspects to follow to improve hormonal balance
- Caffeine should be avoided in order to reduce the cortisol level which stops fat burning in the body. This leads to fat deposit in the mid-section of the body. The substitute of caffeine is tea or green tea.
- After the age of forty intake of sugar should be reduced or eliminated from the diet. Sugar encourages weight gain and adds in inflammation in the body which can lead to many problems like dampening the immune system, taking away some nutrients from the body.
- It is advisable to take food containing natural oestrogen which are called phytoestrogens. They help in balancing the hormones in the human body. They are found in kidney beans, lentils, peas, flaxseed oil, hazel nuts, peanuts, whole beans etc.
- Looking after the gut which is a major endocrine gland is equally important. The gut produces many hormones that affect sleep, digestion, reproductive health and appetite. Foods like herbs, aloe Vera, marshmallow root and manuka are good for metabolism.
- High fiber vegetables are good for liver detoxification. These include broccoli, cabbage, radish, turnip etc.
- The fiber in whole grains, fruits and vegetables help in intoxicating the system of the body.
- Some environmental factors like synthetic chemicals used in food, used as pesticide added for preservation or packaging play a vital role in hormonal balance. Many of them act like hormones and disturb the endocrine system. Such hormonal disturbers need to be avoided.
Serious hormonal problems need to be treated by the doctors with hormonal supplements. But normally supplements are avoided as they lead to further serious problems in future. The following tips will help in keeping the balance of the hormones and keep the body healthy.–
Eat healthy – Healthy and balanced food with less caffeine and sugar will help in reducing the hormonal imbalance and increase the immune system.
Sleep well – Sleep is the most important tool for keeping the hormonal balance. The body requires rest to carry out the functions of the body properly and to repair and replace old and damaged tissues.
Exercise – Plays the most important role in maintaining the hormonal balance. Cardiovascular exercises help in cutting down the fat and keeping the body fit. Weight-lifting helps in building muscles.