Headaches are common for all of us, but people who have migraine, tend to have it more than how we regularly do. This gives you a feeling of intense throbbing and pulsing in one area and it is accompanied by nausea, sensitivity to light or sound, and even vomiting. Migraine attacks brings in pain for hours and all you need is a quiet place to lie down. To avoid such circumstances, we have listed down some home remedies which will help you get rid of it.
Common cause of migraine
- Women have migraine during their menstrual cycle due to hormonal changes.
- Stress, anxiety, shock and tension are some common reasons to trigger migraine
- Bad sleep, wrong posture, low blood sugar, jet lag, etc. are some common physical triggers
- Delayed meals, dehydration, caffeine products, alcohol, chocolates and cheese, are some common dietary triggers to migraine.
- Bright light, smoking, loud noises, stuffy atmosphere, strong smells, are some environmental causes which trigger migraine.
- Sleeping pills, contraceptive tablets, etc. are some medications which can cause this condition.
Home remedies to treat migraine
- Lavender Oil: lavender oil isn’t just a fragrance. It can be used for headaches which are as bad as migraine. This oil can either be inhaled or applied topically. Take three cups of boiling water and add 2-4 drops of the oil. Inhale the vapor and this treats your pain! Alternatively, this oil can be safely applied on your head but it should not be consumed.
- Peppermint Oil: peppermint oil wipes off all the creases on your forehead. This oil has vaso-constricting and vaso-dilating properties which smell fresh and controls your blood flow. Many times, migraine happens due to bad blood flow. Peppermint oil helps you to open and close the blood vessels which promote better blood flow. You might also solve sinus problems if you are prone to that too.
- Basil Oil: it is extracted from a strong scented herb. You might have seen them on pizza and pasta toppings. It not only tastes and smells good, but also cures your natural headache treatment. Basil relaxes your stress and tightens your muscles.
- Diet Changes: one of the best ways to get rid of headaches is altering your diet. There are some food which differ the frequency of headaches and migraines. Some have already been listed above, but you can also add peanut butter, avocado and banana on your list. Food with nitrates and monosodium glutamate (MSG) are also on this list. If your migraine problems are really severe, you should try and avoid these foods.
- DIY Scalp Massage: migraine pains can be reduced by giving your scalp massages. Massaging anyway relaxes our scalp and makes us calm, but it also heals headaches. A research in Brazil had found out that massaging at the back of one’s head and one the base of one’s skull can reduce migraine attack.
- Flaxseed: some headaches happen due to inflammation and you can reduce that by consuming omega 3 fatty acids. Flaxseeds improve headache and relieves you from this condition, since flax seed has omega 3s. The seed can be used in many forms. You can extract its oil or use whole seeds or ground it into powder and consume it.
- Buckwheat: this is a good remedy to heal migraine because it has rutin. Rutin is one of the main flavonoids for treating this condition. They have antioxidants which heal the damaged cells. On the other hand, there are also ways to treat inflammation, which is why buckwheat could be a nice option to heal your condition.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: After being an amazing nutritional powerhouse even migraine pain can be reduced with apple cider vinegar. Simple take a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar and add it to a glass of water. Add one tablespoon of honey and then drink the mixture. This will reduce your migraine pain and give relief. Those who are not used to having apple cider vinegar should start with one teaspoon. Increase the amount gradually so that when you get migraine attacks, you can consume 2-3 tablespoons.
- Ice pack: Ice packs are first aid which we always keep at home. It is one of the most common remedy to soothe pain and headaches. Ice packs provide a numbing effect which reduces pain. Simply wrap a few ice cubes in a clean cloth and place it on the temples, back, forehead and neck. Apply for 15 minutes and repeat if needed. You could alternate hot and cold compresses for 15 minutes if needed. Add essential oils like peppermint and lavender for improved results.
- Cayenne paper: Cayenne pepper is another element from your kitchen that can reduce migraine pain. It contains capsaicin which is known to be a natural painkiller! Take one cup of warm water and add ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper. To improve the taste you can add lemon juice and honey as well. This adds up health benefits and makes you feel better.
- Apple: An apple a days keeps us away from a lot of diseases. People who have repetitive migraine problems should have an apple every day. It will not only reduce the possibility of the attack but also help with other health benefits. Green apples are more preferred when you look for reduce migraine attack. They smell pleasing and taste yum!