Once a girl’s body undergoes this magical thing called puberty, it transforms into a wonderfully-shaped figure; sexy, voluptuous, attractive. However, this process isn’t always glitters and sunshine. Part of the experience is the not-so glamorous changes in a woman’s body. And one of them is this long time enemy, body hair.
As we mature, the hormone levels in our body also change. These changes cause the physical and chemical changes in our bodies. One of the first signs of puberty is the growth of hair where it didn’t grow before, especially under the arms or around the genital areas. Yikes! This is the point where hair begins to grow out of control.
So we need to take control of them.
Dealing with unwanted hair can be so time-consuming and expensive, and painful waxing and laser could leave scars if not done properly.
There are many resources and products available for hair removal. However, most of them are bombarded with chemicals that could cause long-term toxic effects, especially since they are probably used very often by women. These products are also not good for our environment. With the state our current environment is at, we need to be more mindful of the products that we use.
Best ways to naturally remove unwanted hair
Recently, more women are giving up those chemically-treated products for those which are natural, both good for the body and for Mother Nature. Here are 12 of the best ways to naturally remove unwanted hair:
- White Pepper and Camphor
Both pepper and camphor are very strong products so this may not be an ideal remedy for those with overly sensitive skin and should only be used strictly for treating leg hair, not for other areas of the body.
- 2 tablespoons of both white peppercorns and camphor
- A few drops of almond oil
- Procedure: Using a food processor, grind the peppercorns into a fine dust before mixing thoroughly with the camphor and almond oil. Apply the treatment to your legs (remember only to be used on your leg hair!) and leave for around 20 minutes. Once the time is up, wash the paste away and you will see the hair wash away with it too!
Be aware, cayenne pepper should not be used in confusion with this remedy. Cayenne is traditionally used to boost hair growth and will be contrary to your desired effect!
An additional method of using papaya to remove hair involves a few more ingredients but that simply boosts its potency.
- Ingredients: Papaya and turmeric.
- 1 tablespoon of mashed papaya
- ¼ tablespoon of both turmeric powder and gram flour
- 4 tablespoons of aloe vera gel
- 2 tablespoons of mustard oil
- Optional: an essential oil of your choice, 2 drops
- Procedure: Mix all the ingredients into a thick paste before applying to the body in the opposite direction of the natural hair growth. Leave to dry which may take around 15-20 minutes before using a cloth to clean away, again in the opposite direction of the way the hair grows. Once all the paste has been removed, fully wash the area with clean water before moisturizing thoroughly.
- Ingredients: Papaya and turmeric.
- SugaringAlso known as organic waxing or “moom”. This process is similar to that of waxing, but instead of wax, it uses only sugar, honey, and lemon. It is so natural, that it can be eaten! This technique was developed in the Middle East and was used by the Egyptians, a very good and less painful cheap alternative for paraffin wax used by many spas.
- Ingredients: Sugar, honey and lemon
- Procedure: Just add 1 cup of sugar, ¼ cup of honey and half a lemon in a pan, and stir to combine as it begins to heat. Bring the mixture to boil and simmer down when the mixture has turned golden brown while constantly stirring. Leave it cool for around 30 minutes before using. After cooling down, get a good amount and roll into a ball. Clean the target surface and spread the wax over it. Leave it on for about a minute before pulling in the opposite direction of the hair growth. Just clean the residual wax with water and apply moisturizer to the area.
This ingredient has a long list of health benefits for the body. But not many people know that this can also be used for removal and prevention of hair growth! Ancient people rub dried or fresh tumeric root onto the skin. It has a compound called curamin, which is also an antibacterial and an anti-inflammatory.
- Ingredients: Turmeric powder and milk.
- Procedure: You just need two ingredients to make this: 3 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp milk. Make a paste out of those two ingredients and spread onto to the area desired. Leave it dry for 20-30 minutes before adding a small amount of water and then scrub the skin in circular motions. Wash with water and use regularly for a more long-term effect.
- Sugar and Lemon Pack
It has mild bleaching properties and is used to remove unwanted hair especially on the face. You don’t have to worry about sensitive chemical reactions on your face since this screams au naturel!
- Ingredients: Sugar and lemon.
- Procedure: Mix 2 tsp of sugar, 2 tsp of lemon juice, and ¼ cup of water. Apply onto the face going against the direction of the hair and then leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Do this 3 times a week to achieve desired results.
- Oatmeal scrub
Another natural and cheap method is a good scrub. This is a good natural exfoliating agent which removes dead skin cells and hair follicles on the face.
- Ingredients: Oatmeal, honey, and lemon.
- Procedure: To make the scrub, mix ½ tsp of coarse oatmeal, 1 tbsp honey, and ½ lemon until a paste-like consistency is achieved. Apply to the desired area and rub in circular motions. Leave on for 15-20 minutes.
Egg is not only a nutritious and delicious food, but it can also be used as a beauty tool. Make a homemade facial mask out of this!
- Ingredients: Egg white, sugar, and cornflower.
- Procedure: Mix 1 egg white, 1 tbsp sugar, and ½ tbsp cornflower and apply a thin layer to dry skin. Leave it on to dry for 15-20 minutes to form a film-like mask. Peel it off and get ready to extract dirt and some facial hair!
- Banana-oatmeal scrub
Best for dry skin since oatmeal acts as the exfoliator while banana as the moisturizer.
- Ingredients: Banana and oatmeal.
- Procedure: Mash 1 banana and mix with 3 tsp of oatmeal then apply for 10-15 minutes for at least 3 times a week.
- Ingredients: Lentils and potato.
- Procedure: Soak 1 bowl of lentils overnight and grind to a paste the next morning. Then, extract about 1 tbsp of potato juice from the crushed potato using a thin cloth and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. In this method, potato acts as the bleaching agent while lentils pull off the hair.
- Chickpea flour mask
- Ingredients: Chickpea flour, turmeric, and milk.
- Procedure: This method is used by the Indians usually with ½ cup of chickpea flour, 1 tsp of turmeric, and ½ cup of pure milk. Add the ingredients to make a paste and apply it to the area going against the hair grain. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes. When dried, run the flour into the opposite direction to remove the hair. This can be used all over the body.
Gelatin is not only for food consumption, but also for beauty purposes. This is perfect for upper lip hair removal.
- Ingredients: Gelatin and milk.
- Procedure: Just mix 1 tbsp of unflavored gelatin and 1 ½ tbsp of milk and microwave for 12 seconds. Peel off against the hair grain once dried.
- Pumic Stone
A simple tool used to exfoliate skin to remove layers of dead skin cells and is definitely 100% natural. The stone has a rough texture which enables the hair and dead skin cells to cling. Just use a dry pumice stone and apply in circular motion onto the dry skin. You may want to use lotion or moisturizer after exfoliating.