You wake up squeaky fresh in the morning, only to see eyes that look tired and swollen. Skincare experts agree that under-eye dark circles can have many factors ranging from genetics to age to sun damage on the skin. While some of these factors are not in our control, there are some effective dark circle removal creams that can undo the effects of these factors on your skin and give it a revitalized look.
If your under-eye area is calling for attention, you need to amp up your skincare regime with a more dedicated formula. Well, it all begins with using an under-eye cream to depuff the eyes and lighten those shadows. A dark circle removal cream can lighten the darker pigmentation in the area and lend a plumping effect to control sagging and puffiness.
But before you buy a dark circle cream, you should understand the cause of dark circles. Addressing the root cause will help you give a permanent solution. So, read for more information on dark circles and experts’ recommended tips for banishing dark circles. We have also shared our take on one of India’s most effective under-eye creams for removing dark circles ahead.
Why do you have dark circles?
While sleep deprivation is the obvious culprit, several other factors can trigger dark circles too. Barring genetics and age, you can manage most of these factors and prevent the appearance of dark circles in the first place.
Let’s introduce you to some factors responsible for dark circles or puffy eyes.
- Inadequate sleep: The biggest cause of under-eye circles is sleep deprivation. In the deep sleep phase, the body repairs tissues and skin cells, which is why you wake up to cleaner skin after a good night’s sleep. The body cannot regenerate itself if you are sleeping less than usual needs.
- Heredity: If one of your parents has had prominent under-eye circles, your chances of having the same increase. Some people develop dark circles in childhood. Depending on your skincare routine, these may become lighter or darker with age. A dark circle cream can be helpful in this case.
- Eyestrain: If you spend a long time in front of a computer or mobile screen, you may develop dark circles and eye bags. The constant strain dilates blood vessels around the eyes, causing the surrounding skin to look comparatively darker.
- Age: Skin all over the body turns thinner as you age. Since the skin around the eyes is soft, the effects of age tend to show more in this area. With reduced collagen, the skin loses its elasticity. Dark blood vessels underneath show up, and the skin appears darker.
- Rubbing eyes: This may come as a surprise to you, but a habit of constantly rubbing the eyes causes dark circles too. Rubbing the delicate under-eye skin displaces the thin layer of fat underneath and causes dark circles. So always be gentle with your eyes.
- Smoking/drinking: Smoking speeds up the skin’s aging process and causes dark circles. Drinking dilates the blood vessels under your eyes, causing the skin to turn darker. So yes, another great motivation to quit smoking and drinking today.
Other causes of dark circles include sun exposure (which causes the body to create more melanin), dehydration that causes skin sagging, thyroid conditions, and iron deficiencies.
Try a safe and gentle under-eye cream
Regular application of a dark circle cream will lighten your under-eyes. We thus recommend picking a safe and gentle dark circle cream with natural ingredients to nourish and lighten the under-eye area.
You can choose a cream with skin tightening and lightening properties to remove under-eye circles. An under-eye cream with Vitamin C will protect the skin from sun damage and inhibit melanin production. In addition to an under-eye cream, indulge in self-care to reduce stress and overcome fatigue. Additionally, the following measures will help lighten the appearance of dark circles:
- Ensure 7-8 hours of sleep: Try to get 7-8 hours of sleep regularly to keep your skin looking young and fresh. Excess caffeine consumption can also cause drowsiness, which affects your skin.
- Shield your eyes from sunlight: Wear UV-protectant sunglasses when you step outside. Use sunscreen even if you are sitting at home. Sunscreen application around the eyes cuts down the chances of developing dark circles.
- Try a cold compress: Applying a cooling pad to the under-eye area will constrict blood vessels and bring down puffiness and swelling.
- Quit smoking: The aging process slows down if you quit smoking. Giving up smoking and drinking can help combat signs of premature aging, including dark circles, fine lines, and wrinkles.
- Tea bags: Tea contains caffeine that has antioxidant properties. It will boost blood circulation and help reduce puffiness and dark circles in the under-eye area.
- Antioxidant creams: Choose products with antioxidants to lighten the under-eye area. Products enriched with vitamins C and E will be helpful for people with dark circles.
Which is the most effective dark circle removal cream?
If you want to manage under-eye circles, using a dark circle cream is non-negotiable. This skin care product helps lightens the skin in the under-eye area. Additionally, a cream packed with antioxidants will aid cell regeneration and prevent signs of skin aging. Gently massage the under-eye area with a dark circle removal cream to get the best results.
Mamaearth’s Bye Bye Dark Circle Removal Cream contains cucumber extracts rich in antioxidants and Vitamin C. It helps inhibit melanin synthesis by neutralizing the effect of UV rays. The cream also has daisy flower extract, which exfoliates the skin to increase the cell turnover rate. Peptides in the cream boost collagen production, while hawkweed extract regenerates and lightens the skin.
Pair it with the best serum for dry skin too!
Inadequate sleep, dehydration, and stress can also show up in the form of dry skin. Explore Mamaearth’s wide range of face serums to pick the best serum for dry skin to give your skin a hydrating boost.
You may opt for its Ubtan Face Serum with Turmeric and Saffron for Skin Brightening. It gives a natural glow and helps retain moisture balance in the skin cells. It features turmeric and saffron that also help repair sun damage.
Spending a lot of time in front of your digital screen, smoking, drinking, stressing, and getting inadequate sleep can contribute to developing dark circles. Additionally, changes in the skin with age, exposure to the sun, and hyperpigmentation may aggravate the problem even more. A dark circle removal cream helps inhibit melanin production, improve cell turnover rate, and reduce dark circles. Additionally, you can keep your skin moisturized with the best serum for dry skin and ward off fine lines and wrinkles.