The summer heat can be exhausting for everyone. It can be especially exhausting if you are expecting. Pregnancy can be quite uncomfortable; the heat can make the situation worse for many mothers to be. One cannot risk their lives and the lives of their unborn child in the excruciating heat. The body looses out on a lot of moisture, nutrition and minerals in the heat. It is important to keep your body fit during pregnancy. Hence a mother to be must be extra cautious if they are pregnant during the summer. There are a few tips that can help make pregnancy problem free during summer.
Problems with summer pregnancy
Before you know what to do during the summer you need to understand the problems that are there during summer pregnancies. A major problem of being pregnant in summer is the fact that you feel hotter than you would if you were not pregnant. This can easily cause overheating and can eventually lead to a heat stroke. Your pregnancy can force you to make more frequent visits to the toilet, apart from all the sweating; the loss of water can cause severe dehydration. Skin rashes and blisters due to all the heat can be another discomfort that can add to the discomforts of pregnancy. There are a few ways by which you can fight these problems.
Battle the blaze
You can follow a few simple tips to beat the heat successfully during summer pregnancies. Here are a few of the best tips that you should keep in mind:
- What you wear can be an important factor in summer. You might not feel like dialling up all the time, and that is perfect for summer. Wear light cotton clothes as often as you can. Avoid tight clothes to avoid chaffing and discomfort. Light colored clothing can also help you cool down and feel more comfortable.
- Your diet needs to be highly regulated during pregnancy. Summer pregnancy can require you to follow a stricter diet. Eat fresh fruits and vegetable. Have lots of mocktails and sports drinks if you do not just want to have water. Try avoiding sour fruits and drinks, since this can cause stomach problems.
- The best way to cool off can be by taking a shower or by diving into the pool. If you have access to a pool do not be shy about your baby bump. Take a refreshing swim. Do not exert yourself, just rest submerged in the water if required. At the same time take showers as frequently as you possibly can.
- During pregnancy your body can feel fatigued; the heat can aggravate the situation. Reduce all your chores, get as much help as you can and take frequent naps. Even if it throws your night’s sleep off track, it is best to take frequent naps.
- Staying off of your feet can be important. By doing so you can be resting your swollen feet and can help your body to cool down.
- If you are heading out of the house, then carry a spray bottle full of cool water that you can use to cool off. You also must apply sunscreen with SPF 15 and higher. The sunscreen can protect you from sunburns.
- Always keep you hydrated with lots of water and fluids during pregnancy. However, it is good for everyone during summer. It is very important for your baby to be hydrated otherwise it may lead to some problems like dizziness, nausea, dry lips and mouth. You may also notice a yellow colored urine or less urine due to hot weather. These are all symptoms of dehydration. Drink 6 – 8 glass of water to get hydrated.
- Hair care is also one the important measure to be taken during pregnancy in the summer. If you have long hair ties it into a bun to provide free air circulation to your neck and back. It helps to reduce sweating too. You may have hair cut also during summers to reduce heat. Apply cool hair oil to your scalp while washing your hair. It helps to keep you cool and avoids headache.
- The skin becomes very sensitive during pregnancy. At the same time heavy exposure to sunlight also makes your skin sensitive. Apply sunscreen lotion before going out to protect your skin from sunlight. Always carry a bottle of water with you to be hydrated that prevents you from dry skin also. Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from UV rays. Have a scarf or hat to save you from sun.
- Proper exercises like walking, swimming, yoga are food for you and pre born baby. But during summer, exercise should be done either early in the morning or in the evening whenever the temperature is low. You may feel tired during exercise that is better to relax and take a rest.
- Play limited outdoor games to get some fresh air which will be good during pregnancy. It helps you to keep relaxed and rejuvenate. Restrict outdoor activities during summer, but you may have early in the morning or evening to avoid excess heat. Try to avoid going out during 11 am to 4 pm in summer as the sun’s rays are strongest.
- Take proper rest and sleep during pregnancy as it will be good for you and your baby. Sleeping mostly helps to come out of stress. As heat is more during summer, take time to relax by reading a book, listening to soft music or even meditation is also good for your health.