Ear wax is a naturally produced substance called cerumen which is sticky shiny. It is produced by the wax glands that are placed on the outer part of the ear. This wax is mainly fat and it covers the ear canal to keep it moist. It helps in protecting the ear from bacteria and acts as a lubricant to the ear and the ear canal. Normally the wax comes towards the outer ear, dries and falls out of theear some people produce more wax than others.
It is important to clean your ears when you have excessive ear wax inside. People adopt number of ways in doing so. Some ingredients available at your home or kitchen will be ideal in providing bet remedy for the ear wax removal. Though ear wax has number of positive points, but excess of it can also lead to negative fact. You cannot hear properly if the ear wax makes a higher amount of deposits. Even when it becomes hardened, this can be a trouble as well. You should make a routine to clear your era wax at least once in a week. You can avail home remedies or go for medicine.
- The wax in the ear gets pushed deep into the ear canal while inserting cotton swabs into the ear causing discomfort and irritation.
- The ear wax is also pushed deep inside the ear wen a pointed object like a bobby pin is inserted to remove the wax.
- Persons using ear plugs or hearing aids are at a risk to ear wax blockage.
The warning signs of ear wax include itching of the ear canal, ringing in the ear, discharge from the ear, loss of hearing and pain in the ear.
Home remedies for ear wax removal
There are a lot of home remedies to remove the wax from the ear. Some of the common natural remedies are —
- Saline Solution – the best ear wax removal at home can bedone by dropping warm salty water in the ear with the help of a cotton ball. Tilt the head on the opposite direction to remove the water.
- Hydrogen Peroxide – A mixture of equal amount of water and hydrogen peroxide can be dropped into the ear by tilting the head on one side. Tilt on the opposite side to drain out the excess solution.
- Baby Oil/Glycerin—Baby oil or mineral oil helps in softening the ear wax. Drops of oil must be dropped into the ear with a dropper and placing a cotton bud over it. Remove the cotton bud after some time and the ear can be cleaned with a bud as the wax has become soft and can be easily removed.
- Vinegar and Rubbing Alcohol Solution—Mix equal parts of water and white vinegar in a bowl. Put drops of this solution in the ear that is blocked with wax. This solution clears the ear but can cause irritation some times.
- Olive Oil Drops of olive oil in the ear at bedtime helps to soften the wax, making it easier to be removed. This should be done daily for 4-5 days to give effective results.
- Bulb Syringe—irrigation with the help of a bulb syringe filled with warm water helps in removing the wax from the ear. Repeat the process slowly so that the ear drum is not damaged.
- Removal by E. N. T Specialist—when all home remedies fail, the best method is to get the wax removed by an ear nose throat specialist. They have mechanical and suction tools to remove the wax with minimum discomfort.
- Homeopathic Ear Wax Removal – There arehomeopathic ear drops for safe and effective removal of wax in the ear. It helps in getting rid of chronic wax blockage and by softening the hardened ear wax.
- Ear Wax Removal Kits—there are several brands of ear wax removal kits available in the market. They are good solutions for flushing out the wax from the ear.
- Ear candlingis done by a tube made of paraffin and beeswax with a cloth wrapped on the tapered end. The end is placed in the ear and the other end is lighted. The flame creates a vacuum which pulls out the wax from the ear. This is a dangerous method and is not recommended by experts.
- Medical Treatment for Earwax Blockage—in the medical process the wax is removed by a small plastic spoon called curette or with the help of soda bi carbonate in warm water or by some strong ear drops.
The safest ways to remove excess ear wax
Ear wax removal is a part of the personal hygiene routine. The ear wax can be cleaned by wiping the external ear with a soft clean cloth. Sometimes few drops of baby oil, glycerine, hydrogen peroxide or ear drops can be put in the ear to soften the wax.
If there is excess wax causing problems it is advisable to consult a doctor. The wax can be cleaned with certain mechanical devices.
Best ways to remove ear wax
Medicated ear buds
You can avail ear buds available in the medicinal stores. This is very well available in the clinics and medical outlets. You need to use softly inside your ear buds so that the soft area of your ear does not get affected. This will specifically discharge all your ear wax that is unwanted.
It is possible to get ear drops right at various pharmaceutical stores. This can be applied as suggested by the physician. The drops are made for clearing ears. Thus, you will be happy in getting instant result after using the ear drops. But never use these drops without consulting your physician.
The ear wax itself have good amount of oils. Mineral oil can work in an effective way to remove wax from the ear. You also need to use the warm water with the combination of mineral oil. You have to make the combination of mineral oil and warm water combined together and gets a wonderful remedy for era wax removal.
Another simple way of removing ear wax from ear is application of coconut oil. Just like an ear drop you have to apply it inside your ear. Keep it for 10-15 minutes and there after go ahead with its removal. The stubborn era wax inside your ear will be removed easily with the help of this coconut oil remedy.
Almond oil is also quite suitable for removing excess ear wax from your ear. This has good action when diluted with warm water and put inside the era hole. You can also use a cotton ball to swipe the external part of the era. Also the inner part of ear can be swiped by using ear buds and almond oil placed over it. This is a natural way of removing wax from your era.
We all know that garlic has variety of medicinal properties. It is also one of the natural antibiotics that will keep you away from many diseases. You have to take a small pan and heat mustard oil of 2 spoons. Now add 2 cloves of crushed garlic in it. Let it get heated till the garlic smells and becomes black in color. Now let the solution cool and apply it inside your ear with a dropper.