Ear Piercing is a very ancient tradition that is followed all over the world. It is done as a fashion trend, style and in some communities as religious practice. The ear is prone toear infection by ear piercing. According to medical point of view ear piercing infection is one of the most common infections in the body. But it cannot be considered as a life threatening infection. Still ear piercing infection must be treated as soon as possible. Neglected for a long time this infection can spread in the entire portion of the ear.
Causes ear piercing infection
Ear piercing infection is caused when the microbes and germsenter the skin through the pierced area. This is possible when unsterilized needles are used to pierce the ear. Another cause of infection occurs when the freshly pierced ears are touched with dirty unwashed hands. Over-tightening of the clasp can result in reducing the flow of blood to the ear lobes which can lead to infections. Allergy can take place with certain metals used for ear rings.
Symptoms of ear piercing infection
Severe pain and yellow discharge is seen from the pierced ear. There is a burning sensation on the infected part and the person experiences itching in the area. Sometimes there is redness and swelling near the pierced part of the ear.
Treatment for ear piercing infection
Ear piercing infection is usually treated with antibiotics in the form of pills or ointment prescribed by the doctor. There are some homemade natural remedies to treat ear piercing infection..
Home remedies for ear piercing infection
- Non-Iodized Salt Solution can be applied on the infected ear with a cotton ball four times a day to cure ear piercing infection.
- Epsom Salt Solution is very helpful in treating ear piercing infection. Soak cotton ball in a solution of water and Epsom salt or sea salt and apply it on the infected ear twice a day…
- Ice-Cube for Ear can be used on piercing Infection. Simply rub an ice cube gently on the infected area is very helpful in reducing the inflammation caused by infection.
- Hydrogen peroxide or alcohol can also be used to treat the infection caused by ear piercing. Clean the front and back areas of the piercing spot with a cotton ball dipped in alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.
Ways to treat an infected ear piercing, without letting the whole close
Remove the earring from the ear and put it in a bowl of alcohol. Clean the ear lobe with alcohol. Squeeze out the pus and wash the area with mild soap and water. Apply alcohol on the front and back side of the ear with a sterilized cotton ball. Apply any antibiotic ointment on the ear hole that has a wound. Wash and clean the earring, apply ointment on the post of the ear ring and insert it in the ear hole and tighten the clasp. Continue this treatment three times a day till the infected area is completely cured. If the ear piercing is an old the same treatment is to be done, but the ear rings can be removed till the infection is cured. But in newly pierced ear there is a possibility of the holes getting closed if the ear rings are not replaced.
Preventive measures for ear piercing infection
- Gunshot piercings must be avoided as there are chances of tissue damage by it.
- Ears must always be pierced by an expert with sterile methods and equipment.
- Never over tighten the clasps of the ear rings as it may lead to reduction or stoppage of blood flow to the ear lobes.
- The ear rings must be removed off and on and cleaned with alcohol to prevent infection especially in the initial period of piercing.
- Antibiotic cream must be applied on the pierced area of the ear twice a day.
- Any home gadgets like phones and mobiles that come in direct touch with the ear must be sterilized regularly.
- The earring needs to be rotated or removed from the ear at least once a day in the initial stage of piercing.
- Sometimes formation of a crust is seen near the pierced part. This must be removed daily with a cotton ball that is dipped in distilled water or antiseptic lotion.
- It is essential not to expose the pierced area of the ear to hair gels, sprays and perfume as the harmful chemicals present in them can cause infection.