Gamma knife is the innovative technical systems for interventions on the nerve endings, brain, spinal cord, and blood vessels.
To be precise, radiosurgery is a kind of irradiation procedure, not a surgical one. It is called “surgery” due to the precision and treatment results – complete resection of the pathological formation.
Gamma knife is a good option for treatment of tumors, aneurysms or other vascular malformations in the functionally significant areas of the brain. Preserving healthy cerebral tissue prevents serious neurological deficit in the postoperative period.
When radiosurgery with Gamma knife may be performed
Gamma knife is not intended to substitute all the conventional neurosurgical interventions. Eligible patients with the following conditions are carefully selected, so that the technique provides them with maximal benefits:
- Vascular brain tumor (e.g. hemangioblastoma)
- Arteriovenous malformations in the brain and spinal cord
- Benign brain neoplasms (e.g. pituitary adenoma)
- Malignant brain neoplasms (e.g. glioblastoma, germinoma)
- Metastases of other tumors in the brain, head and neck region
- Neuromas of the acoustic and facial nerve, spinal neurinomas
- Functional disorders of the nerves (e.g. trigeminal neuralgia)
Currently, clinical trials are being performed to estimate Gamma knife application in the treatment of tremor. Radiofrequency thalamotomy is an effective measure in Parkinson’s disease, essential tremor, tremor in multiple sclerosis or brain trauma.
Advantages of Gamma knife procedure
Gamma knife surgery in Germany offers the following advantages:
- Avoiding healthy tissues trauma, complications of surgical procedure and general anesthesia.
- Avoiding irradiation of the healthy tissues due to the high precision, lower radiation complications risks.
- Lower dose of irradiation, precise irradiation focusing.
- Preserving function of the affected nerves, e.g. preserving hearing after the acoustic neuroma treatment.
- No need in systemic medications cessation, e.g. patient may continue taking glucocorticoids, antihypertensive drugs.
- Comprehensive treatment during the single procedure, often on the outpatient basis.
- Painless post-procedure period.
Potential complications and risks of the intervention include hair loss at the treatment site, swelling of the scalp, transient nausea and headache.
Choosing a Gamma knife center worldwide with Booking Health
Gamma knife treatment is performed only in the best hospitals, as it requires high-priced equipment and trained medical staff.
Such specialized healthcare facilities should be also able to offer comprehensive preliminary examination, estimate neoplasm localization and size, and arrange necessary follow-up tests.
Germany was the first country in Europe that has implemented Gamma knife into the wide clinical practice. Now the technique is actively used for the brain cancer treatment in Germany and demonstrates excellent results.
If you are planning to receive treatment with Gamma knife in Germany as the foreign patient, it will be more convenient to use service of Booking Health.
Booking Health is the unique medical tourism provider with the international quality control certificate ISO 9001:2015. We offer our patients:
- Choosing the best healthcare facility for the Gamma knife procedure.
- Arranging the intervention on the required date.
- Assistance in issuing visa and preparing necessary papers.
- Translating medical reports into German and into your native language.
- Scheduling additional examinations, if necessary.
- Further communication with physician after the programs completion, if necessary.
- Independent financial control, avoiding additional fees for foreigners (saving up to 50% of the cost).
- Booking tickets, selecting appropriate accommodations, interpreter services.
- Confidence and comfort while staying in Germany.