There are plenty beauty products available in the market but natural ingredients used in homemade beauty products are simple and easy to make in the comforts of the home. The quality and quantity of the natural ingredient can be controlled according to one’s likes and dislikes. These products have a longer lasting effect on the skin with less money than the artificial products.
Do it yourself (DIY) natural beauty product recipes
There are seven natural beauty staples which can be used in making number of beauty product recipes.
- Coconut Oil is widely used in making many types of beauty products.
- Shea Butterhas a mild earthy and nutty smell and it is great in nourishing the skin. It has the anti-bacterial properties which help in preventing stretch marks of pregnancy and in healing wounds. It can be used to make lotions, deodorant, face cream baby lotion and diaper creams.
- Cocoa Butter is another type of butter which is used in natural beauty recipes. It gives a light chocolate scent to lotion bars and face creams.
- Beeswaxis a thickening agent used in lotions, baby care recipes foot cream etc.
- Liquid Carrier Oilis used as a thinner in recipes like smoother lotions, after shave balms and baby oils. These oils include olive oil, apricot kernel oil, and almond oil.
- Arrowroot Powderis used in recipes of diaper creams, baby powders, deodorants and dry shampoos.
- Essential Oils give a natural perfume to the beauty products and can work as a mood lifting agent. Most commonly used essential oils in the world are lavender, mint, sandalwood,lemon and orange.
Other helpful ingredients
Some other helpful ingredients can be added to along with the above ingredients include–
- The dried herbs chamomile and calendula are used in many skin careproducts.
- Zinc oxide is added in making diaper creams and sunscreen lotions.
- Sugar is the best ingredient for making a scrub to clean the dead cells on the body and face.
- Baking Soda is a good deodorant
- Salt can be used as hair sprays or skin exfoliating.
- All essentialoils.
- Coconut Milk is used in making homemade shampoo
Homemade beauty products can be used in various ways to keep a long lasting smooth and soft skin. Some of them are given below–
Invigorating Facial Mask is required to give life to dull looking tired skin that comes as age advances. A mask made with overripe tomato lemon juice and oatmeal and applied thickly on the skin regular helps in reducing the signs of aging and in reversing the damage done to the skin with stress. The mask brightens and exfoliates the skin.
Hydrating facial cream
A night cream made with lanolin, sunflower, almond oil and lavender oil can be made and used to hydrate the skin
Method—three spoons of lanolin should be melted in a double boiler.When it is smooth add one tablespoon sunflower and one tablespoon of almond oil and continue heating while mixing. Remove from heat and let it cool till it thickens. Store and use it daily at night.
Tinted lip balm
A tint of pink color to the lips with homemade natural products gives a glossy shine to the lips.
Method—Microwave 10 fresh cranberries, one table spoon sweet almond oil and a drop of Vitamin E oil for two minutes. Crush the cranberry and make a smooth pulp. Strain and keep in a bottle. Number of cranberries can be added for a darker shade. If a lighter shade is required the cranberries number should be reduced.
Exfoliating body scrub
Exfoliating body scrub is needed to keep the skin soft and silky. Here is the recipe of a simple homemade exfoliating scrub.
Method—Combine two and a half cups of sugar with half cup of almond oil and stir well. Add four teaspoons of lemon juice and mix. Add four table spoons of honey and four drops of lemon essential oil. Stir well and use it as a scrub.