A well-known bath powder that is associated with aromatic therapy and is available in the southern part of India is named as Sunni Pindi. This particular bathing powder works as a wonderful scrub and exfoliate. Once you keep on using it, your skin will be really soft and smooth. This practice of bathing with Sunni Pindi is really very popular among the people staying in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
Green gram powder is the main ingredient with which this bath powder is made. The green gram powder is formed by the combination of rice flour and chickpea. There are other ingredients such as fenugreek leaves, basil leaves, Turmeric, gooseberries, neem leaves and almond meal are present in this Sunni Pindi preparation.
Homemade natural bath powder “Sunni Pindi” making
There are many scrubs available out in the market, but no product can beat the “Sunni Pandi” one of the traditional methods used by people in Andhra Pradesh to cleanse exfoliate and make the skin softer. Till date, in many traditional families this scrub is used as an alternative to soap.
Sunni Pindi – The natural scrub
Ingredients required to make
- Green gram flour: 250 grams
- Horsegram – 250 grams
- Chickpeas (kabuli chana ) – 250 grams
- Freshly ground Turmeric powder – 25 grams
- Multani mitti powder – 200 grams
- Rose petal powder – 30 grams
- Orange peel powder – 30 grams
- Neem leaf powder – 30 grams
- Suganda kachuralu also known as Curcuma zedoary, or, Shati in Sanskrit – 30 grams
- Rice flour – 30 grams
- Wheat flour – 30 grams
- Tulsi powder – 10 grams
- 4-5 almonds
- Tablespoon fenugreek seeds for stickiness
The products mentioned above can be used as per availability (that’s been the beauty of Sunni Pindi) as they are used to give a pleasant fragrance to the mixture and the combination works wonders to smooth out the blemishes, rough and dead skills off the skin. The products are generally available at any Ayurvedic, herbal or general grocery stores.
- The green gram powder + Horse Gram powder + chickpeas Powder + together removes dirt, applied oil and extra water contents from the body
- Fenugreek seeds bonds the mixture together
- Lemon removes the tan from the skin, while tulsi and neem protects the skin from diseases
- Kachuralu, rose powder gives the fragrance to bear the scrub as a facial pack or scrub for hours.
How to make Sunni Pindi – the traditional scrub?
- Take fresh green grams, horse grams, and chick peas sundry for 2 days and prepare a fine powder by grinding at a flour mill. The flour mill is recommended to avoid damage of household grinder machine blades.
- Mix the green gram powder + Horse Gram powder + chickpeas Powder +Turmeric powder + other ingredients mixture and store it in a glass jar with a cap to retain the fragrances of the rich ingredient.
How to use Sunni Pindi??
- The natural scrub powder – Sunni Pindi is mixed with water / milk / lemon juice / crushed cucumber /tomato juice/ yogurt to form a paste of separable consistency.
- Oil massage your whole body, or face or hands or any part of the body that you want to scrub with Sesame oil, olive oil, coconut oil/ Mustard / gingelly oil or one that suits your body type before applying Sunni Pindi Scrub to your body.
- The application of oil easily coats the “Sunni Pindi” paste on to your skin.
- Leave the scrub “Sunni Pindi” onto the skin till it dries and use water to scrub away the pack off the skin.
- Thus, Sunni Pindi helps remove dirt, exfoliate dead skin and makes your skin smooth, glow and healthy.
- It improves blood circulation and improves skin complexion
If not daily, at least use this scrub once in a week or on festive occasions to rejuvenate and cleanse every skin cell of your skin!!!!
Benefits of sunni pindi
The natural body scrubber made at home includes all types of herbs and nutrients good for the nourishment of your skin. Each of the ingredients has separate value and nutritional factors. The ingredients such as chickpea, gram flours as well as rice flour have wonderful benefits of exfoliating. Again turmeric, basil leaves as well as neem leave has its antibacterial properties. If you have any types of skin irritants and infections these are ideal to be used. You can also get enough nourishment on your skin with the natural oils contains in almond nuts. If you can add essential oils in the pack of sunni Pindi, getting a spectacular skin moisturizing is the mandatory.
You can now get a very soft skin with the Fenugreek leaves. You can also get wonderful shower experience with the fragrance of the rose petals. You can also stay away from the tan skin with the combination of milk and citrus fruit rind. You can stay away from excess oil that comes out of your skin due to excessive oil secretion.
Sunni Pindi requires wheat flour, semolina, sugar, ghee, and cardamom.
No, Sunni Pindi is traditionally prepared without the use of oil.
The shelf-life of the Sunni Pindi is approximately 1 year.
The purpose of each ingredient is to provide flavor, texture, and nutrition to the dish.
Yes, the main technique required for preparing the Sunni Pindi is to ensure that all the ingredients are properly blended together to create the perfect texture and flavor.
It usually takes about 2-3 hours to make traditional Sunni Pindi.
Yes, it is necessary to grind the ingredients for Sunni Pindi.
Yes, some alternatives for ingredients in the Sunni Pindi recipe include whole wheat flour, oat flour, and almond flour.
Yes, it is suitable for all skin types.
Store the Sunni Pindi in an air-tight container in a cool, dry place.