Oil is the substance secreted by the glands present beneath the skin. This oil, when produced in normal quantity, protects the skin from the external environment. However, when there is excess production of sebum, it results in various diseases, primarily acne. Thus, various face packs available for oily skin, which reduces the presence of oil on the skin by absorbing and prevent the incidences of lords clogging.
Causes of oily skin
Following are the causes of oily skin:
- Genetics: Genetics is known to be an important cause for oily skin. The person having any of the parents with oily skin is more likely to have oily skin as compared to the people who have both parents without oily skin.
- Enlarged pores: In some people, the pores are enlarged. This results in excess oil coming out on the skin, making the skin oily.
- Increased sebum secretion: Various medical conditions increase the production of sebum or oil secretion by triggering the sebaceous glands. The conditions with overactive sebaceous gland include seborrhea, rosacea, furuncle, and asteatosis.
- Environmental factors: Some people have increased oil production during summer while in some people, cold climate results in too dry skin leading to overproduction of oil.
- Incorrect cosmetics: People with no knowledge of cosmetics use wrong cosmetics which does not suit their skin. The cosmetics used should be of high quality and have the pH similar to your face. Further, it should not make your face too dry to trigger the production of excess oil.
- Hormone fluctuations: Fluctuation in the level of hormones are one of the primary causes of oily skin. The main hormone responsible is androgen which increases the production of sebum. Due to this reason, the acne, usually as a result of increased oil secretion, is seen at the time of puberty, when the fluctuation is at the highest level.
- Medications: Medications such as contraceptives and hormone replacement also increase the production of oil.
- Excess skin care: Excess skin care such as washing face frequently, using scrubs and wiping your face tightly to remove excess oil actually triggers the production of more oil.
- Age: As age increases, the production of sebum decreases. Thus people who have oily skin in younger age may end up with dry skin as they grew older.
Face packs for oily skin
10Besan and curd face pack
- 1 tablespoon besan
- 1 tablespoon curd
- To prepare this face pack, mix equal quantities (1 tablespoon) of besan and curd until a smooth and consistent mixture is obtained.
- Apply the face pack on the face and neck, let it dry for 15 minutes and wash it with warm water.
9Multani mitti face pack
- 1 tablespoon sandalwood powder
- 1 tablespoon multani mitti
- The face pack contains 1 tablespoon sandalwood powder, 1 tablespoon multani mitti, and sufficient quantities of rosewater and milk to make a consistent mixture.
- All the ingredients are thoroughly mixed, and the mixture is applied on the face.
- Leave it to dry for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Wash face with warm water and pat dry.
- Apply this face pack every fortnightly to get smooth and oil-free skin.
8Cucumber face pack
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- Cucumber has hydrating and nourishing properties.
- Cucumber face pack may be prepared by adding various ingredients.
- One of the best face pack for oily skin is prepared by adding 1 tablespoon yogurt to cucumber pulp (prepared by blending half cucumber) resulting in a paste.
- The paste is applied on the face.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off with water and pat dry.
7Neem and turmeric face pack
- Neem and turmeric are known for their anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
- The face pack is prepared by making a paste of neem leaves (by blending 10-15 fresh neem leaves), 2-3 pinches of turmeric and sufficient water to obtain a consistent mixture.
- This mixture is applied to the face and left for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, the paste should be washed off with water.
6Aloe Vera face pack
- 2 teaspoons Aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon cucumber juice
- 1 teaspoon yogurt
2 teaspoons Aloe vera gel is mixed with 3-4 drops of rosewater, 1 teaspoon of cucumber juice, and 1 teaspoon yogurt to obtain a consistent mixture. This mixture is applied to the face and the neck. Keep the mixture on the face for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, wash off with water and pat dry.
5Clove face pack
- 3-4 cloves
- Rosehip oil
- 3-4 cloves are taken and make a paste of these cloves by mixing and grinding with sufficient quantity of rosehip oil.
- Now add a small amount (1/4 teaspoon) of turmeric to this paste and mix well.
- Apply the mixture on the face and the neck.
- Leave it for 20 minutes.
- Wash off with water and dry the face with a soft towel.
4Orange face pack
- 1 tablespoon orange peel powder
- 1 tablespoon multani mitti
- An equal quantity of orange peel powder and multani mitti (1 tablespoon) is taken and are mixed with the help of required amount of rosewater to obtain a consistent mixture.
- Apply the mixture on the face and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Wash the face with water.
3Honey face pack
- The face pack contains the lemon and honey which are to be applied one after another.
- Initially, the lemon is applied on the face.
- It can be diluted with a small quantity of rose water if you feel severe irritation.
- After 15 minutes of lemon juice application, apply honey on the face.
- Wait for 15-20 minutes and wash off the face.
2Sandalwood face pack
- 1 tablespoon sandalwood powder
- 2 tablespoons rosewater
- One tablespoon of sandalwood powder and 2 tablespoons of rosewater are mixed to form a mixture of even consistency.
- This mixture is applied on the face and wait for at least 20 minutes to get it dry.
- The face should be washed off with water and pat dry.
1Coffee face pack
- 3 teaspoonS coffee powder
- 2 teaspoons honey or yogurt
- Coffee contains powerful antioxidants.
- 3 teaspoon coffee powder is blended with 2 teaspoons of either honey or yogurt and the contents are thoroughly mixed.
- Wash the face with water prior to the application.
- Apply this mixture on face and neck and let it for 15-20 minutes to dry.
- Wash the face with water and pat dry with a clean towel.