If you feel cosmetics and creams are very expensive in the market, home remedies can help provide you moisturized skin during winter. In winter, many of us face the dry skin problem. In the winter the moisture in the skin goes down and skin becomes dry.
The winter wind is so strong that even people with oily skin tone gets pulled out skin during this season. Thus, proper care is important for individuals with both oily and dry skin tone. Following are some of the ways through which you can take care of both oily and dry skin tone.
Dry skin during winter
The causes of dry skin can be many external factors. Our body contains adequate moisture to keep our skin free from wrinkles and scales. But, during the winter season, the dry air absorbs all moisturizes from your body leaving your body very dry and unattractive.
Your skin becomes lifeless with the effect of harsh wind and worsening of the skin condition. During winter season, it is very tough for us to touch cold water. Thus, we prefer washing out hands, feet and full body with warm water. If you skin is exposed for a long time to hot water, this will be a fruitful reason for worsening the skin condition.
Winter skin care tips
- Try to take the necessary diet in the winter. Try to add the fruit and fruit juice to your diet.
- Apply the petroleum jelly on the face, lips, hands, legs.
- Do not take the hot water baths. The hot water takes out the moisture in the skin then skin becomes dry. So try to avoid the hot and long baths in winter.
- The chapped lips are one of the problems in this winter. Apply the petroleum to the chapped lips. Use the lip scrubs for the lip care in the winter.
- Dry skin is the major problem in the winter. Use the natural moisturizer in the winter.
- Try to cover the most of the body with the clothes. Do not expose the skin to the cold air.
- Do not apply the makeup products with high alcoholic content. Do not use the beauty and hair styling products too much in winter.
- Use the natural moisturizers like butter, oils, glycerin, etc., in the winter. Not to choose the chemical moisturizers.
- Try to add the vitamin A, vitamin E rich foods in your diet.
- Stay hydrated in the winter. Try to take the juices and drinks.
- Use Humidifiers during winter to keep the air moisturized and protect your skin from dryness.
Home remedies for moisturized skin during winter
Choosing the right product
Choosing the right cleansers, toners and moisturizers is very essential for combination skin. It must not be too hard or too greasy. You must look for products which are free of synthetic fragrances or alcohol. Use a mild foaming cleanser and a lotion-based cleanser is suitable.
Treat differently, different areas
Having a skin type which is different in different areas is quite difficult to manage. You can use a mild cleanser and moisturizer on the drier areas and a drier product on the T-zone to cut through the oil. Use a good cleanser, toner and moisturizer for your skin in winter.
Exfoliation is another important thing for a person with dry and oily skin. This removes the dead skin cells which build up on the skin. It is advisable to use a BHA/ salicylic acid or an AHA/ glycolic acid to exfoliate your skin and wash your pores thoroughly.
Stop using soaps
Using soap for your delicate skin is not appropriate. Soaps dry up the skin and causes irritation which increases your skin problem. They are very harsh on your skin instead go for a gentle cleanser or some natural cleansers.
Use a papaya and banana face pack
Papaya and banana make a great face pack for dry and oily skin.
- All you need to do is mash them and make them into a paste and apply it all over your face.
- Then let it dry and wash it off.
- You’ll be shocked to see a glowing skin.
One very important key of keeping your skin maintained in winter especially if they are both dry and oily is to use the correct moisturizer. You must go for a gel-based moisturizer which works well on both dry and oily skin. It keeps the skin hydrated without making it greasy.
Egg yolk paste
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon milk powder
- Make a face pack with 1 egg yolk, 1 teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of milk powder.
- Mix the ingredients well and apply it over your face evenly, leaving eyes and lips.
- Keep the paste for 20 minutes and wash with simple tap water.
Rose water & honey pack
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- Mix one tablespoon of honey with a spoon of rose water and mix.
- Now apply this pack on your face, hands and legs.
- Keep it 20 minutes and wash it.
- Feel the moisture entire day.
With aloe vera gel
- Aloe vera gel
- Apply aloe vera gel over your face, hands and legs for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with normal water.
- It acts as a wonderful moisturizer.
- coconut oil/ olive oil/ almond oil
- Apply coconut oil/ olive oil/ almond oil over your skin and massage it gently before going to bath.
- Bath with normal or lukewarm water, do not use hot water.
- This is the best way to contain your skin moisture.
Almond paste, raw milk, lemon and gram flour
- Raw milk
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons gram flour
- Soak almonds overnight, peel off and make a paste of them using a mixer.
- Add few drops of raw milk and two teaspoons of lime juice and two spoons of gram flour to make the paste thick.
- Apply this face pack and wash off with lukewarm water.
- It will moistures your face and helps with better skin tone.
Vaseline is a petroleum jelly which can be applied without having to mix it with anything else. It treats the dry skin in winter by keeping the skin hydrated and prevents it from drying out. It has anti-inflammatory properties which acts towards healing the skin allergy. It also soothes the skin.
The lemon juice contains vitamin C that is good for your skin. The citric acid in this juice exfoliates and hydrates your skin.
- Lemon juice
- Apply the juice of lemon on your face and neck to make it glow.
- The winter sun often darkens the facial skin but lemon helps in removing the dark shade.
- You can rub a slice of cucumber over the face after rinsing it with lukewarm water.
- This will help moisturize the skin.
Oatmeal face pack
Oatmeal is good for moisturizing your skin.
- ½ cup of oatmeal
- Lemon juice
- Mix a pinch of turmeric in ½ cup of oatmeal and a few drops of lemon juice.
- This has to be blended into a thick paste and then you can anoint it on your face.
- Leave it for 15 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water, do not use soap.
- You will feel this is a better option than the drying effects of soap.
Milk, lemon and almond oil for dry skin
Milk powder will add moisture to your skin and the lemon will cleanse it. The tone will lighten with the lemon juice and almond oil will help make the skin soft and supple. Use this pack on your neck, face and hands for lightening the tone & moisturizing the skin.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon milk powder
- 1 tablespoon almond oil
- Make a mixture of 1 spoon of juice and 1 tablespoon of milk powder.
- Add 1 tablespoon of almond oil to this mixture.
- Now blend it to form a thick paste.
The avocado contains the vitamin E helps for the skin care.
- Take the fresh ripe avocado and mash the avocado into smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on the dry skin and face.
- Wash it off after 15 minutes.
- If the skin is too dry, then adds the 1 tbsp of honey to the avocado paste.
- Honey keeps the moisture in the skin.
Glycerin is the natural humectants keep the moisture in the skin.
- 1 tbsp glycerin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp rose water
- Mix the 1 tbsp of glycerin, 1 tbsp of lemon juice and 1 tbsp of rose water.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Apply this solution before going to sleep.
Natural bridal facial treatment with orange peel
- 1 tbsp orange peel powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- Take the orange peel powder 1 tbsp and 1 tbsp of honey and apply this paste on the dry skin.
- Leave it for 15 minutes.
- Then wash it off with the cool water.
Milk powder and almond oil
The milk powder has the moisturizer properties and almond oil contains the vitamin E both helps a lot for the dry skin.
- 2 tbsp milk powder
- 2 tbsp almond oil
- Take the 2 tbsp of milk powder and 2 tbsp of almond oil and mix them well.
- Apply this paste on the dry skin, wash it after 15 minutes.
Apricot and glycerin
- Avocado oil
- Massage avocado oil mixed with apricot and glycerin.
- This is good for dry skin.
- You will get an instant glow on your face, neck and hands.
Castor oil and glycerin
- Castor oil
- Lemon juice
- Apply a mixture of castor oil, lemon juice and glycerin on your lips.
- Leave it overnight and you will find the lips softer in the next morning.
Chocolate, preferably dark, is melted at first. It is then mixed with cream, which makes it an excellent lotion for the skin. The phytochemicals content in chocolate has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and healing properties. It maintains overall skin health in winter by improving the blood flow within the skin cells.
In order to make a lotion, the salt has to be mixed with either petroleum jelly or olive oil and a few drops of essential oil. The salt particles act as exfoliators and remove the dead skin cells. They also absorb the toxins from the skin and gives the face a smooth, shiny and glowing look.
Lacto calamine is a lotion in itself and it contains zinc oxide which helps in soothing the skin and removing the itchiness of the dry skin. It is specifically made up of a lotion variant that is suitable for the dry skin. This lotion is applied twice a day tends to get rid of the dryness within three to four days of usage.
The green tea leaves are boiled to extract the juice. It is then mixed with cream/coconut oil to make a body lotion. The antioxidants present in the green tea remove the stress from the skin and helps it relax. Green tea face pack helps in healing the damages to the skin and rejuvenating it.
Avocado, banana and papaya
- Papaya was proven as a wonderful remedy for treating dry skin.
- You can now make a paste with a single banana, a slice of papaya and 1 avocado.
- Wonderful mixture must be prepared and must be applied over the face.
- After applying the same, you must leave the paste for a period of 15 minutes.
- You can wash the paste from your face and watch the difference.
If you have a tanned skin tone along with dryness of skin, cucumber will be an effective remedy. This is a natural ingredient to moisturize your skin and make your skin tone lighten.
- Take 1 whole cucumber.
- Take out the flesh from it and make a paste in a mixture.
- Apply this on your face and keep it for a period of 30 minutes.
- Apply this at least twice in a week and get visible result after a week.
This is another moisturizer for your body. This natural remedy takes care of your skin in detail.
- Lime juice
- 1 tablespoon milk cream
- Take a few drops of lime juice and 1 tablespoon of milk cream and add 4 tablespoon of milk to it.
- Mix the contents and spread on to your legs, body and hands.
- You need to leave it on for 30 minutes and then go for shower.
Curd and honey
The curd has got anti inflammatory property and is an antioxidant that takes care of the damage done by free radicals.
- You can mix curd and honey properly and then apply the mixture on your body.
- Wash the mixture after 20 minutes and you will find the body soft and supple from the natural goodies for your body.
Lemon with milk
With this remedy you will not only get moisturizing effect during the winter but also a clean and supple skin. At the same time you can also get moisturized skin with milk.
- 3-4 teaspoons milk
- Lemon juice
- Take 3-4 spoons of milk.
- Add few drops of lemon in it.
- Mix both the ingredients really well.
- Apply on your face and skin.
- Keep this for 10 minutes and then wash away with warm water.
Oatmeal with olive oil
You need to crush oatmeal and get it grainy consistency so that the scrubbing part can be ideal.
- 1 teaspoon oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Take a spoon of crushed oatmeal and add a spoon of olive oil in it.
- Mix both the ingredients really well and apply it over your skin and face.
- Now, keep this for 10 minutes and wash with warm water.
- Before washing it, you need to rub your skin in circular motion such that it covers face and its different element.
- This will remove your dead skin and make you look attractive.
Egg yolk with olive oil
Egg yolk is a wonderful protein rich ingredient that will provide proper nourishment to your skin and restrict getting cracked.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Break an egg and take out the yolk portion of the egg in a small separator
- Add 2 spoons of olive oil over it.
- Beat the two ingredients really well such that the pale yellow color can be visible.
- Now apply it over your face, hands and legs and wait for 15 minutes.
- There after you can wash away with lukewarm water and see the difference.
Yogurt with banana
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- Take a ripe banana and mash it really well.
- Now add 2 spoons of yogurt in it.
- You can also add a spoon of honey in it.
- Mix all the ingredients well and apply over your face and hands.
- Keep this mask for 20 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water.
Orange peel off mask
During winter, your skin requires more care than the usual seasons. You need to remove the dead skin as well. You can now make an orange peel off mask.
- 2 tablespoons orange
- Egg white
- 1 tablespoon raw milk
- For this you require peels from fresh orange dried and crushed- (2 spoons), Egg white- of 1 egg, raw milk- 1 spoon.
- You have to mix all of them and apply over your face.
- Now, peel it out and see your face. It will be clear and away from dead skin.
Omega 3 fatty acid/ fish oil
You can get Omega 3 fatty acids in many sea fish. You must consume those fishes during winter in order to get beautiful skin tone. You can also get the cod liver oils in the medical stores.
Those are also good to fulfill the deficiency of Omega 3 fatty acid. If you can consume it on a regular basis, you will not get dry skin during winter.
Apart from treating with beauty products from outside, you too should go ahead with the inside care. This can be done with Omega 3 fatty acid consumption. This will provide a natural glow on your skin.
Vinegar for hand
If you speak about the skin care, it does not mean only the face. You also need to take good care of your hands. Vinegar is one of the useful ingredients available in the kitchen.
You can use this vinegar over your hand and leave it overnight. It should be kept as it is and wash it off next day morning. You should try this today and stay away from dry skin.
This is not only for reduces skin dryness, but also helps to clear dark spots and blemishes. Coconut can be used fresh or bought from the market. Rub the milk on the body and leave it overnight.
It is found to be an excellent skin-hydrating agent with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help to soothe the dry and itchy skin. The lactic acid content in yogurt also helps get rid of any germs or bacteria that may cause dryness or itchiness.
- Lemon juice
- Apply yoghurt on hands and face and wash it off after 10 minutes.
- Alternatively mix yogurt and mashed papaya with few drops of honey and lemon juice.
- Apply it on the skin and wash after 10 minutes.
Oatmeal, banana and milk
Oatmeal can also be used to moisturize and get relief from the symptoms of dry skin. The high protein content present in oatmeal provides a protective shield on the skin, which prevents water loss and helps to maintain moisture on the skin.
- Lavender oil
- Add plain oatmeal in the bathtub full of warm water.
- Add few drops of lavender oil and lie in it for half an hour.
- Alternatively a face mask can be prepared by mixing a mashed ripe banana with some ground oatmeal and adding a small amount of lukewarm milk.
- Apply the paste on the face and wash after 15 minutes with cold water.
Sour cream and gram flour face mask
This mask made from sour cream and gram flour helps to combat dryness leading to flaky and cracked skin. The lactic acid in sour cream helps to exfoliate the dead skin cells and moisturizes the skin, making it soft and supple.
- Sour cream
- Gram flour
- Make a smooth paste using the two ingredients and apply the paste on the face and neck.
- Rinse with cold water after 20 minutes.
- This mask must be applied on every alternate for better results.
The flour mixed with turmeric powder and mustard oil makes a mask which is considered to be a good remedy for dry skin treatment. This can be used as a scrub which can be applied it on the skin with the fingers or a brush.
It is oily in nature and so helps to fight dryness when applied on the skin.
- Sandalwood powder
- Make a paste with sandalwood powder and rosewater.
- And apply it on the body.
- This helps in gently scrubbing away dead and dry skin cells.
It help to treat dry skin with its antibacterial properties.
- Neem leaves
- Make a fine paste out of neem leaves and apply it all over your face and body.
- This, instantly helps to treat dry skin, and helps in removes bacterial infections of the skin.
Diet chart for winter season
It is also essential to consume plenty of vitamins and minerals in winter along with outer skin care. Some of the food tips are as follows:
- Avoid all types of junk food
- Drink as much water as you can for keeping your body hydrated
- Consume sweet and citrus fruits such as orange so that you get strength in your body and your body can fight with diseases.
- Avoid cold food items such as cold drinks, ice- creams, milkshake with ice etc.
- A diet rich in vitamins and minerals along with outer skin care is essential to keep the skin healthy during the winter months.
- Junk food must be avoided and consumption of water need to be increase to keep the body hydrated.
- Sweet and citrus fruits like oranges must be added to the diet to give strength to the body to fight diseases.
- Cold food items like cold drinks, ice- creams, milkshake with ice, cold salads etc. Must be avoided.
- Avocados are a good source of vitamins C, E, and monounsaturated fats, which help in locking the moisture in the skin.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil is full of vitamin E and good fats that will moisturize the skin both from the inside by using it for cooking and on the out by topical application.
- Salmon, mackerel, anchovies, herring sardines and rainbow trout are all amazing for the skin. They contain Omega 3 fats which help to protect the skin from sun damage, cancer and helps in reducing inflammation and in strengthening the skin cells.
- Spinach and other dark, leafy greens are packed with iron, omega-4 fatty acids, and vitamins A, B, and E, which protect skin and help to hydrate skin and keep it healthy.
- Nuts and seeds contain omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins A, B and E, monounsaturated fats and minerals. These help to promote elasticity, regenerate cells, hydrate the skin, and protect against pollutants and free radicals.
- Home remedies to treat dry cracked and chapped lips
A diet rich in vitamins and minerals along with outer skin care is essential to keep the skin healthy during the winter months.
Kitchen ingredients to treat winter skin
Just take a spoon of butter milk and apply over your hands and see the difference. Since it is easily absorbed into your skin, your skin will easily get moisturized and soft.
- Sesame oil
- Apply this oil on your face and body and keep it for 5-10 minutes before bath.
- People have been using this remedy for long to create dry skin conditions during winter.
- You can try this today and see the difference.
Fresh cold milk
- Fresh cold milk
- Fresh cold milk is really very effective remedy to stay away from winter dry skin.
- Apply it over your skin and keep it for 10 minutes.
- Thereafter wash your skin with the lukewarm water.
This carrot juice can be used in a natural way without any addition of chemicals and cosmetics to heal your dry or cracked skin during the winter season. Since carrot is filled with vitamin A, your skin easily gets a glow & moisture with its application.
- 2 tablespoons carrot juice
- Add 2 spoons of carrot juice with milk and mix them well.
- Now apply it over your skin especially those parts that are exposed.
Choose the best suitable oil free moisturizer in winter. Moisturizers like gel and water based are available in the market. Make sure it should be enriched with vitamin E, the best option for oily skin type. This will keep your oils balanced by applying after every face wash.
Tea tree oil
Most of you will use a hot water bath in winters. It is better to add a few drops of tea tree oil to your warm water while bathing. It helps to keep your skin smooth, supple, and loss of moisture. It keeps your skin glowing and helps in cracked skin.
Exfoliate your skin
Maintain a healthy skin by cleaning your skin regularly with natural products. Raw milk helps to exfoliate your skin.
Use a good exfoliating gel that has minute granules enriched with vitamin E. With this you can maintain a healthy skin tone by cleaning and exfoliating your skin regularly. Repeat it twice a week for better results.
Oil free based makeup
Use oil free based makeup products, ensure you should choose a liquid or cream while buying a foundation. They should be oil free and water based. Regular makeup products high amounts of natural oils and they affect skin instead of good skin.
Winter skin care tips for oily skin
- During winter wash your face twice a day that helps to keep your skin protected.
- Use less excess face oil that doesn’t mean effect your skin after cleansing.
- Switch from a harsh medicine that contains the cleanser to a creamy facial wash and keep you dry out your face.
- Cleaning helps to control excess sebum that is getting rid of all your skin’s natural oils and cause unwanted dryness.
- Don’t use oil based moisturizers, as it makes your skin too oily.
- Use products that have salicylic acid instead of benzoyl peroxide. Salicylic acid tends to be less drying and decrease inflammation. Try to apply salicylic acid that contains toner once a day after cleansing.
- Avoid scrubs if you have acne problems and irritated skin.
- Avoid heavy cheesy, fried and sugary foods.
- Avoid damp makeups as it leads to clogging up of pores.
Ways to keep skin moisturized in winter
Toning of skin
Most of the time people clean their skin with a cleanser and then applies a moisturizer. But the step on toning which comes in the middle is equally important.
Especially during winter skin toning is really important. It will open your skin pores and make it breathable. If you have oily skin, it will secrete oil in order to compensate the dryness. Thus, during winter, toning becomes really essential.
Drink water – lukewarm
Even the water your drink will be difficult to intake. But if you make your water little lukewarm, there will be no problem in drinking it.
In winter your body becomes dry from inside as there is no sweat. Thus, water intake must be maximum to keep body moisturized from inside. There is no harm in taking lukewarm water during winter.
Moisturizing throughout night
Winter is the season when your skin becomes too much dry. Getting wrinkles over your skin is also quite common during this season. It is important to apply moisturizer on your skin repeatedly.
During the day time you can do it as per your consciousness. But what about the night? Thus it is important to apply such a moisturizer to protect your skin throughout the night.
Ways to get rid of cracked skin in winter
Get a humidifier
Humidifiers are now considered in many houses during winter. It will protect your body from the extreme cold in winter. The dry and cracked skin takes place due the extreme cold weather.
Now, you can get relief from the cold wind in winter if you have set a humidifier at home. Another positive sign of this machine is the fact that it hyper hydrates your skin. Thus, you can stay away from flaky skin during winter. Crack on skin can be avoided as well.
Keep a hand cream handy
It is quite natural to lose moisture in your skin during winter. You need to have a cream handy always with you. Women generally have a habit of carrying the lipstick.
But, very few people keep creams and moisturizers. But, if you want to keep yourself away from dry and cracked skin, you must keep the creams of winter. This will keep your hands and legs protected.
Use toothbrush for exfoliate
Your lips to become dry and also get cracked. All you have to do is exfoliate your lips instantly. Since your lips are really smooth and sensitive, you need to use something that does not hurt. Even for exfoliate process do not use any hard surface.
Toothbrush is having the soft bristle which should be brushed over your lips. This way you are going to remove the dead skin from your lips. There after you can apply a protective coat.