Through the natural skin regenerative process, old skin cells die out and new skin cells are developed to replace these old cells. However, the problem is, often the old cells are not removed naturally from the surface of the skin and they continue to accumulate on the skin as a layer, stopping the new cells to take their place.
Accumulation of dead skin cells on the skin can lead to several skin issues. These dead cells not only give a rough and patchy look to the skin but can also work as one of the primary substances to block the skin pores which can give rise to blackheads, whiteheads and even pimple or acne.
So, removing the dead skin from the skin surface is actually vital to enjoy a naturally healthy skin.
One of the most effective ways of removing the dead skin is scrubbing. Scrubbing gently brushes off the dead skin and enables the new skin cells to take their place. The good thing is that, for removing the dead skin through scrubbing you need not to rush to a parlor.
Some simple yet effective homemade scrubs can give you the best effects right in your home. Here we have listed a list of homemade scrubs that can remove the dead skin cells gently and most effectively.
Homemade dead skin removal scrubs
- Milk and pomegranate seeds face scrub
- Sugar and ripe papaya face scrub
- Buttermilk and oatmeal face scrub
- Green tea and baking soda face scrub
- Vanilla extract, sugar and Vitamin E scrub
- Brown sugar and almond oil face scrub
- Raw milk and semolina (rava/suji) face scrub
- Olive oil and olive pits face scrub
- Honey and almonds face scrub
- Coffee and honey scrub
- Sugar and lime juice scrub
- Besan and rice scrub
- Fenugreek, milk and milk cream scrub
- Orange peel, honey and milk scrub
- Oat, honey and lemon scrub
- Poppy seeds and green papaya scrub
- Masoor dal, milk and milk cream scrub
- Sea salt, honey and potato peel
- Almond and honey scrub
- Turmeric as a facial scrub
- Wheat bran and yogurt skin scrub
The pomegranate seeds act as a great scrubber and are rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, A and E. whereas the lactic acid present in milk eradicates dead skin cells and improves skin tone.
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Cold milk
- To make this scrub just blend ½ cup handful of pomegranate seeds and add adequate amount of cold milk to it.
- Apply it evenly on your face and scrub for few minutes.
- Rinse with plain water and pat dry.
The papain in papaya is very beneficial in dissolving dead skin layers and exfoliating the skin while sugar is great scrubbing agent.
- ½ tbsp sugar
- Just smash, some finely chopped pieces of ripe papaya, add ½ tbsp sugar to it, and mix well.
- Spread the paste all over your face and scrub for 2-3 minutes.
- Let it stay for 15 minutes before washing off.
The combination of these two ingredients is very helpful in removing dead skin, lightening skin tone and removing suntan.
- Quarter cup oatmeal
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Add quarter cup oatmeal in half-cup buttermilk and wait until all the buttermilk is soaked.
- Apply it on your face, massage in circular motion for 4-5 minutes, and rinse with lukewarm water, pat dry.
Green tea has a little rough texture due to which it aids in dead skin removal. In addition both the ingredients are a great exfoliate which makes this pack more effective.
- 2 green tea bags
- 2 tbsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp honey
- Cut two used green tea bags, and add 2 tbsp of baking soda and honey to it.
- Keep stirring the mixture until you get a thick paste and then apply it on your face.
- After 10 minutes massage your face with wet fingers and rub with a wet towel.
Vanilla extract contains skin damage repairing properties, sugar removes dead skin while vitamin E oil to keep the skin hydrated and nourished.
- 2 capsules vitamin E oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract and sugar
- Puncture two capsules of vitamin E oil and add 1 tbsp vanilla extract and sugar to it.
- Mix it thoroughly, apply it on your face.
- Scrub for face for a few minutes, and rinse with tepid water, pat dry.
Almond oil gives your skin a smooth, soft and wrinkles free texture. Brown sugar when scrubbed with almond oil mixture helps in removal of dead skin.
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Almond oil or coconut oil
- Mix 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1 tablespoon Almond oil (you can also use coconut oil but almond oil is recommended for best results) and apply it on your face.
- Scrub your face in circular motion for 2-4 minutes.
- The friction caused between your skin and brown sugar due to scrubbing helps to eliminate dead skin cells from your face.
- Allow the mixture to be on your face for the next five minutes and wash your face with lukewarm water and pat dry.
Raw milk contains lactic acid in high quantity which acts as a natural cleanser and helps in exfoliating and lightening skin tone. Semolina is also an amazing exfoliate for skin.
- 2 tbsp cold raw milk
- 1 tbsp semolina
- In a bowl and add cold raw milk to it in a ratio of 2:1.
- Let the mixture rest till semolina soaks whole milk forming a thick paste.
- Apply this pack on your face and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the mixture turns moderately dry gently massage your face in order to scrub off the dead skin on your face.
- Wash away the scrub mixture with lukewarm water and pat dry.
Regular use of this mixture will help you in getting healthy, radiant and dead cells free skin naturally.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 olive pits
- In a bowl mix 2 tablespoons olive oil with a mixture of grinded olive pits (2-3 olive pits).
- Apply this pack on your skin and scrub it lightly in circular motion.
- Leave it for few minutes and clean your face with lukewarm water.
- This pack is extremely oily hence if the oil doesn’t come off easily use a mild cleanser to remove the excess oil thoroughly from your face, pat dry.
Almonds contain vitamin E and are help to nourish skin from within. Honey is a natural moisturizing agent and also an antioxidant.
- 10-12 almonds
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- Soak 10-12 almonds in milk overnight (8-10 hours) and peel the soaked almonds in the morning.
- Put the leftover milk and peeled almonds in a food processor and grind to form a thick granule paste.
- Remove the paste in a small bowl and add 2 teaspoons of honey into it and mix well.
- Apply the scrub on clean face and neck and scrub for a few minutes.
- Post scrubbing let the scrub pack dry on your face and once it’s completely dried wash off with lukewarm water.
Coffee and Honey make an excellent scrub to remove the dead skin cells. This scrub can be used on face as well as on your body as per the requirements. While coffee gives gentle yet effective exfoliating effect, honey ensures nourishment of the skin.
- 1 teaspoon of coffee
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Mix 1 teaspoon of coffee in 1 teaspoon of honey and use this mixture to scrub your face to get rid of the dead skin cells.
- After few minutes wash your face with lukewarm water.
This scrub is really simple to make and can be very effective to remove the piling dead skins. However, this scrub, being strong in nature is better suggested for use on the body, instead of the delicate skin of the face.
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and add 1 teaspoon of lime juice to it.
- Now use this mixture to scrub your body in slow circular motion.
- Once you are done scrubbing, wash off with water.
This is another effective homemade scrub that can work efficiently for removing dead skin from the face as well as from the body. This scrub can be very ideal for sensitive skin as well. Wash some rice with water and dry them out.
- 1 teaspoon rice powder
- 1 teaspoon besan
- Now grind them to make a coarse rice powder.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of this rice powder with 1 teaspoon of besan and add water to the mixture to come up with a smooth pack.
- Use this scrub on your face and body, rubbing in slow circular motion.
- Let the pack set for 5 minutes and then scrub again before washing off with water.
If you have dry to normal skin this scrub can be the ideal one for you. The fenugreek seeds remove the dead skin while the milk and milk cream nourishes the skin from within making it soft, smooth and fair.
- 2 tablespoons fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon milk cream
- Soak 2 tablespoons of Fenugreek seeds in raw milk overnight.
- In the morning dry them in sun and grind them to make a coarse powder.
- Now add 1 tablespoon of milk cream to this powder and use it as a scrub on your face and body to get rid of the layer of dead skin completely.
The peel of orange can be a great ingredient for scrubbing the skin and removing dead skin cells.
- 1 teaspoon orange peel powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon milk
- Collect the peel of an orange and dry it under the sun.
- Once the peel has dried, grind it to make orange peel powder.
- Take 1 teaspoon of this powder add 1 teaspoon honey to it and 1/2 teaspoon milk.
- Use this scrub on your face and body.
- You should follow the scrub-leave-scrub process repeatedly to get the best results.
- Wash off with water.
Oat and Honey does not only taste good but also works great as a scrub for removing dead skin cells. This scrub is very gentle on the skin and can be used on face as well.
- 1 teaspoon oats
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Few drops lemon juice
- To make this scrub mix 1 teaspoon of oats with 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Now add a few drops of lemon juice to the mixture.
- Use this pack for scrubbing your face and body.
- Then let it stand for 5 minutes and then again continue scrubbing.
- Wash off with water or remove with a dry cotton cloth.
This is a very luxurious and effective scrub. However, being very gentle, this scrub is more suitable to be used on the face.
Poppy seeds offer mild scrubbing action on the skin and the green papaya of the scrub helps in exfoliating the skin through its enzymatic constituents promoting soft and bright skin.
- 1 teaspoon green papaya paste
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Take few pieces of green papaya and grind them to make a paste.
- Take 1 teaspoon of this paste and mix 1 teaspoon of poppy seeds to it.
- Now use this scrub on your face.
- Let it set for some time before washing off.
Masoor dal or red lentil is an effective skin scrubber. This pack is ideal for dry skin and if you have oily skin you should skip adding the milk cream to this scrub.
- 1 tablespoon red lentils
- 1/2 tablespoon milk cream
- Soak 1 tablespoon of red lentils in warm milk for 1 hour and then grind it to make a paste.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of milk cream to it, mix well and use directly on your skin.
- You can use this scrub on your face as well as on your body.
- Let it stand for 10-15 minutes before washing off.
Sea salt is a great ingredient for removing dead skin cells and when mixed with potato peel it can also offer de-tanning effects. Potato peels are known for their ability to remove any unnatural skin pigmentation and the honey ensures the best nourishment of the skin.
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon potato peel paste
- Take a potato, clean it properly and peel off the skin.
- Now crush the potato skin to make a paste.
- Add 1 teaspoon honey with 1 teaspoon sea salt and add this mixture with 1 teaspoon of the potato peel paste.
- Mix all the ingredients well and use it as a scrub to get the best results.
Almonds are loaded with skin nourishing elements and they can offer great scrubbing effects too.
- 6-8 almonds
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Take 6-8 almonds and grind them to make a coarse powder.
- Add 1 teaspoon honey to it to come up with a paste that is more on the dry side.
- Use this paste to scrub your face in circular motion.
- Let it set for 10 minutes and then scrub again before removing with a soft damp cotton cloth.
- This is an ideal scrub for dry skins during winter.
Turmeric is known for its great anti-bacterial and skin lightening properties. It can also work as a facial scrubber when used in the right way.
- To get the scrubbing effects with turmeric, make a paste with 2 inch of fresh turmeric root and apply the paste onto your face.
- Let it set until it gets 90% dry and then start rubbing your face with your hands in firm circular motion.
- The dried out turmeric will work as a scrub and exfoliate your skin gently, revealing the new skin cells.
Wheat bran can work as an effective scrub for the skin. By adding it with yogurt you will ensure the best nourishment of the skin and it will also add a healthy glow.
- 2 teaspoons wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon yogurt
- Mix 2 teaspoons of wheat bran with 1 teaspoon of yogurt.
- Use this mixture as a scrub on your face and body.
- After scrubbing for 2 minutes, you should leave it on to get at least 80% dry and then scrub again before washing off with water.
- Do not scrub your face with any of these scrubs more than thrice a week.
- While using the scrub on your face, be gentle but firm. You can use more pressure while using it on the body.
- Do never use these scrubs around the delicate eye area.