Winter brings freshness in life with cold wind blowing from North West direction. After the effect of scotching sun during the summer season, human being would always look forward for the winter season to arrive. But, one of the negative effects of winter season is dryness in skin. Most of the people suffer from cracked and chapped lips during the winter season.
Apart from looking odd, dry lips also hurts. Sometimes dryness can give rise to bleeding in lips. But, if you are really concerned about such problems, it is the time to stop it through some homemade ingredients. The crack in lips formed due to weather condition can become larger even with little stretch. Thus, you need to be very careful.
Winter season is welcome after the scorching sun during the summer. It brings freshness and activity in the life of individuals. But winter has some negative effects on the human skin. The lips are prone to chapping and dryness because the skin on them is very thin and does not have any protective hair growth. There is no sweat or oil glands present beneath the surface. Hence the lips lose moisture much faster than other areas of the body.
Many people suffer from chapped and cracked lips due to the dryness in the environmental conditions. Chapped, or cracked, lips are the term commonly used to describe dry lips which are a common feature during winter. They can be painful and unattractive. The common symptoms include dryness, redness, cracking, flaking, and tender or sore lips. Sometimes the dry lips start bleeding also. One has to careful and takes care of lips even before the winter sets in.
Home remedies to treat dry cracked and chapped lips
It is normally found in the garden. You can use the gel extracted from the Aloe Vera juice to get a perfect remedy of chapped lips. It is now possible to take Aloe Vera juice directly from the plant. Just rubbing the raw Aloe Vera leave on your lips with a slight tear that brings out juices will be quite effective. You need to repeat the process for few days to eradicate this problem entirely.
Indian Kitchen especially in Bengal, Mustard oil is used repeatedly. Whether they cook fish or that of meat, cooking will be always done through the mustard oil. Thus, it is quite easy to get in the kitchen. If your lips are had cracked and it very painful, you must dip your finger in the mustard oil and apply it on your lips. It may burn for some time, but will be very effective for your cracked lips.
With the arrival of winder season, people keep enough of glycerin at the stock to reduce dryness in skin. You can now apply just two drops of glycerin on your lips before going to bed. As soon as you get up in the morning, your lips will be fine.
These are also a good source of moisturizing your skin when it is affected by the winter climate. As compared to other natural home remedies, petroleum jellies can give temporary remedy to your lips.
If you have kids at home or your breakfast generally consists of bread and butter, applying this natural home remedy will be easier for you. The Indian butter or Ghee is also quite effective to treat your cracked and chapped lips. Just apply it in small quantity and get moisturizing effect for a longer period of time.
You must have known that, cucumber is really a good food for skin. Many women consume this fruit to get clear and glowing skin. You can now peel a cucumber and cut it into pieces. Now put it in the mixer to get some juice out of it. After applying this juice in your lips, you must keep it for 5 – 10 minutes to get best result.
It is a great moisturizer that has healing and antibacterial properties to treat chapped lips. Honey and glycerin at night gives softer lips in the morning.
It helps in exfoliating dead cells and to restore the natural softness of the lips. Apply a paste of honey and sugar on the lips.
It make a paste of rose petals after soaking them in milk for a few hours. Apply this paste on chapped lips three to four times in a day. This remedy will help in keeping the lips moisturized
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that help in the healing of chapped lips caused by cold or dry weather
Castor oil is another good treatment for dry and chapped lips. It can be applied on the lips as it is or it can be used by mixing it with few drops of glycerin and few drops of lemon juice.
The high fat content in milk cream makes it a great natural lip moisturizer. Apply fresh milk cream on the lips, leave it for a few minutes and then wipe it off with cotton ball dipped in Luke warm water.
Diet for cracked, chapped and dry lips
Just like the skin on the rest of the body the skin on the lips has to be kept hydrated.Here are some dietary tips for relieving cracked and chapped lips.
- Adequate water and fluids must be taken on daily basis.
- A healthy diet comprising of several vitamins, minerals. In order to keep the body healthy. Fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants must be included in the diet.These help the body from the harmful effects of free radicals.
- Vitamin A is an important vitamin for the good health of the skin as it helps in repair and maintenance of the tissues.Milk, apricots, carrots and milk products are a rich source of Vitamin A
- Vitamin C found in citrus fruits and several vegetables helps to protect the body from sun damage and also helps in tissue repair. Vitamin C increases the production of collagen which makes the lips fuller and suppler
- Nuts, leafy vegetables and eggs contain high amounts of vitamin E which helps to prevent lines and wrinkles on the skin. Ageing is also a cause dryness of the lips,it is important to supply the body with adequate amounts of vitamin A.
- Similar to cracked heels chapped or dry lips are a common problem. Common symptoms are dryness, redness, cracking, and flaking. The main causes are vitamin deficiency, allergic reaction, dehydration, smoking, exposure to harsh sun and wind in cold weather.
- Sugar helps in exfoliating dead cells and to restore the natural softness. Apply a paste of honey and sugar on the lips. Rub and wash it off after 10 minutes with Luke warm water.
- Honey is a good moisturizer and it possesses anti bacterial properties to treat chapped lips. Apply only honey 2-3 times a day.
- Rose petals help in keeping the lips moist and in regaining their natural color. Soak petals in milk and make a paste and apply at night on the lips.
- Coconut Oil is a natural moisturizer that helps to heal chapped lips caused by cold or dry weather.
- Castor Oil is also beneficial for treating chapped and dry lips.
- Milk Cream serves as a good lip moisturizer. The fat content of the milk works wonders in softening the lips. Apply fresh milk cream on the lips, leave it on for few minutes and then wipe with cotton ball dipped in Luke warm water. You can get beautiful and rosy lips like a baby.
Always apply SPF based sunscreen lip balm to avoid dark, dry and scaly lips, when going out of the house. Consume lots of water to keep the body hydrated. Include tomatoes, carrots and green leafy vegetables as they are rich in vitamins. Make it a habit to apply a natural lip balm containing shea or cocoa butter before sleeping. Try and avoid licking, peeling and biting the skin of the lips. The dead dry skin from the lips must be cleaned with a cotton ball dipped in warm water.
Lips are the most delicate and sensitive part of the body. Cracked and chapped lips are a common problem in winter which can be painful and unattractive. These lips lose their gloss and can also be infected easily. They are usually a result of dryness. Common symptoms of cracked lips are dryness, redness, flaking, and sore lips. In few cases the skin of the lips may also peel. In other cases when the lips become too dry small tears appear on the surface that can lead to great discomfort and also bleeding.
Causes of chapped cracked lips
Chapped lips mainly develop during the winter months due to the exposure to harsh winds or sunburn. Constantly licking ofthe lips may also develop chapped lips. Breathing through the mouth especially at night can also cause the lips to become dry and chapped. In some cases nutritional deficiencies, allergy to certain medicines,dehydration and some diseases can also be a reason for chapped lips.
Symptoms of dry chapped lips
The main symptoms of this condition are formation of cracks, bleeding, dryness, swelling and flaking. Cracked lips are slightly different from chapped lips. The main symptoms of cracked lips are cracking at the corner of the lips which makes it painful to open the mouth. The cause for this condition is excess dryness or excess moisture in the mouth,ill-fitting dentures, or a side effect of some disease like diabetes, anaemia and vitamin deficiencies.
Natural remedies to treat chapped lips
It is known as one of the best nourishing oils for the skin. It helps in softening and lubricating the lip during winter. It also helps in growing new skin cells to treat cracked lips. Simply apply few drops of jojoba oil on the lips. Leave it for 15 minutes before wiping the lips.
It contains natural healing of lips. Shea butter also acts as a natural sun block and makes a perfect natural lip balm that can be used in winter to protect chapped lips.
It is also a great ingredient used in making lip balm for preventing chapped lips during winter. It is a natural skin softener with anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties in it.
Lemon juice is another effective ingredient forlip care. Lemon juice mixed with cream or milk is a perfect home remedy for chapped lips. Mix the two ingredients and store it in the refrigerator. Apply it on the lips daily before sleeping. Effective results will be visible in just three days.
Green tea bags
Green tea bag can be used as natural home remedy for chapped lips. This is one of the oldest home remedies for chapped lips. Pressed hot used tea bags against the chapped lips for 4-5 minutes.