In today’s world, people are constantly in front of their computer or laptop screens. This goes up to around 5 to 8 hours a day and we gradually start straining our eyes. We live in a digital world and people cannot imagine striving without these devices. This category would also include cell phones, which constantly sticks to us, all through the day. In this article, we will read through the symptoms and causes which would assure you your condition and remedies so that you can prevent and heal yourself.
Some common symptoms that you are straining your eyes because of these devices are:
- Eyes getting tired even when your body is active enough
- Dry eyes or watery eyes
- Blurred vision
- Soreness in back, neck and shoulders
- Sensitivity in the eyes due to light
If you ever feel any of the above symptoms, you can comfort your eyes with the remedies we have listed below:
Blink eyes repeatedly
Blinking is very important as it adds moisture and prevents you from itchiness and dryness. When you are using your computer screen, there are possibilities that you aren’t blinking at all! Add a blinking regime in which you would take out couple of minutes at every interval and blink your eyes.
Adjust the lighting of your room
Your computer should be present in a properly lit up room. Again, properly lit up doesn’t mean blinding light. Excess brightness could strain your eyes too. This could also include scorching sunlight coming through an open window. Use drapes or windows shades for blocking that out. For the electric lights, you need low intensity bulbs or fluorescent ones. Comfortable lights reduce stress and prevent further eye strain.
Adjust contrast and brightness
Go to the setting for display of your computer screen and adjust it to match the brightness of your room. You also have to adjust the contrast of backgrounds and features so that you don’t squint to see the screen! You can also alter the font sizes and colors.
Giving short breaks
Don’t stare into the screen for a long time and in the same position. You might be sitting in the office in the same posture for hours, and this is why you ought to take short breaks too. Be off your computer screen for 5 to 15 minutes to relax your eyes. Do it after every 1-2 hours. This would circulate blood and prevent from eye straining.
Move the monitor
If your monitor is fixed in a cramped space and that too right at the corner of the cubicle, you might want to move it. This will help you look away when you take a break. Try to move it to a position, so that it is at quite a distance while you take a break.
Getting rid of the glare
Glares coming out from your computer screen, windows, walls or any reflective surfaces could strain the eyes. It is best to install an anti-glare screen which would cover the reflective surface. If you don’t have it, try and close the drapes or shades of the windows for reducing the condition caused by sun rays.
Relax your eyes
Prevent eye strain in few simple ways:
- Focus on something which is at a distance and stare straight for a few minutes.
- Rub your palms till they are warm and then touch your eyes. Your eyes would be closed and you would have to take deep breaths. Visualize that you are looking at something at a distance. Open the eyes and release. Repeat three times.
- Close eyes and roll the neck, shoulder and head for relaxing the eyes. This would also minimize shoulder ache.
When your eyes start burning, go and splash some water on the face. Splash normal to cold water and let the water dry on its own. You can get back to work after the water dries.
Wet a towel with warm water. Rub your cheeks, neck and forehead with it. Keep massaging these areas and don’t rub the eyes. You can improve blood stimulation and not strain while working at the monitor.
If you still see these symptoms to persist after following all the above remedies, you might need to consult an optician. Eyes are sensitive and eye checkups should not be delayed at any cost. Have an eye test, and let the doctor tell you, how critical your condition is and what the medicated solutions are.
Regular eye care tips
We have listed down some regular eye care tips which should be followed to maintain soothe eyes. These will be helpful to improve the overall condition of your eyes.
- Sleeping is one of the most important parts of our physical needs, which should be given prime importance. In other words, you need to rest your eyes and body with adequate hours of sleep.
- It is better to manage the level of lights you work in, so that it doesn’t strain your eyes more. This could also include having painted the walls in a different color if needed.
- Splash cold water on your face whenever you are refreshing yourself. Add water to your neck as well. Keep a cold compress in the freezer so that you can use it any time.
- Sometimes cold water would not be your friend and you’d need steam instead. Try out a steaming towel to give yourself a facial. You could add menthol or eucalyptus oil to add some more refreshment.
- You can calm your eyes by applying frozen tea bags or cucumber slices on your eye lids. They soothe the eyes and make you feel relaxed.
- It is important to drink lots of water and reduce the amount of caffeinated and sweetened drinks. Keeping your body hydrated is one of the best ways to not strain eyes.
- Use artificial tears to lubricate eyes instead of eye drops. If you have chronic conditions, go to an optician and not use anything self medicated.
- Never sleep with you contact lenses. They can dry out eyes and stress you while you’re at sleep.
- Eye strain is often complemented with neck strain. It is important to stretch your neck when your eyes are closed. This improves blood flow and refreshes you.
- Finally, you can also give yourself a quick facial massage. Rub your forehead, temples and cheek bones. Stretch your neck and relax muscles around. They are all connected to the delicate eyes and would soothe the entire face.