Acne is a common skin condition characterized by red pimples on the skin. In medical terms it’s known as Acne Vulgaris. There are certain conditions which when occurs, result as acne. Hair follicles are connected with oil secreting glands which are known as sebaceous glands. The substance secreted by these glands is called sebum which is oily in nature that helps to grease the skin and hair. Excess secretion of sebum when combined with dead skin cells blocks the hair follicles, resulting in acne. It is normally traced on the neck, chest, back, face and shoulder. There are various forms of acne like blackheads, pustules, cysts, nodules, papules, whiteheads. Dark spots on skin, scars and pigmentation are some of its symptoms.
Causes for acne
As mentioned above, acne is formed due to clogging of hair follicles. There are many other conditions related to the formation of acne which are sometimes ignored in our daily life. The conditions which lead to the formulation of acne are hereditary, unbalanced menstruation period, hormonal changes during pregnancy, uneven cracking of dead cells, oily or greasy makeup, excessive production of oil, formation of bacteria in pores of the skin, medicines containing androgens or corticosteroids, lithium, etc. Smoking is another cause for acne which is known as smoker’s acne, here the body doesn’t make an inflammatory response as it usually does for normal acne. Times of puberty, in either of the sexes, acnes often bring about an increase in androgens. The excess growth of bacteria caused these acnes to form and they keep continuing if not treated promptly.
Remedies to cure acne
We all want to have a spot free clear skin without any blemishes, but some way or the other our skin gets infected by bacteria leading to formation of acne. Here are some effective and natural procedures to get rid of acne.
Garlic contains an antiseptic property which fights off the bacteria invading the skin. It also consists of some natural component like sulphur, zinc, allicin and calcium which is known for quick healing of acne. It acts as an antibiotic and antifungal for purifying the skin.
- Make a paste of crushed raw garlic clove.
- Apply it on the acne.
Alternatively, garlic can also be used as a facial mask.
- Add some egg yolk to the garlic juice and stir it well.
- Apply it on the infected portion of the skin.
- Keep it for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
Tomatoes are rich in vitamins like vitamin A, C and K. They are known for their antioxidant property. Tomatoes help in healing acne effectively.
- Take a whole tomato.
- Cut off a slice from it.
- Apply it directly on the infected area.
- Paste the tomatoes and use it as a facial mask.
- Apply it multiple times for better results.
Lemons contain citric acid which is a natural cleanser that helps in opening the pores which are blocked due to acne.
- Take a lemon, slice it.
- Squeeze it in a bowl.
- Take a cotton ball and dip it in the bowl.
- Apply it on the acne directly.
- Take a lemon slice and rub it on the infected part of the skin.
- Leave it for a minute or two, rinse it off.
Lemon juice mixed with groundnut oil is an effective method for curing skin infection.
- Take a few drops of lemon juice in a tablespoon of groundnut oil.
- Apply it on the infected zone.
It is used for moisturizing and cleansing the skin. Cucumber helps in removing dead skin cells from the skin.
- Crush a cucumber, mix some water to it.
- Blend it well before applying it on the skin.
Regular intake of cucumber juice mixed with carrot juice helps in alleviation of acne.
Fuller’s earth or multani mitti is known for absorbing excess oil from the skin. It is a natural process for treatment of acne.
- Mix multani mitti with rose water and sandalwood powder of equal amount.
- Mix the paste properly and apply it on the skin.
- When it dries off completely, wash it with clean water.
Alternatively,A mixture of orange juice with multani mitti can be very much helpful for curing acne.
It is an ancient and effective element for cures related to skin infections. It fights against bacteria and absorbs extra oil from the skin.
- Take a bowl, put 4 tablespoon of turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon of milk and 4 tablespoon of honey in it.
- Stir the mixture well.
- Apply it before going off to sleep, rub it in a circular motion for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it in the morning.
- Make a pack of 2 teaspoon of yoghurt, half teaspoon of turmeric and add very little quantity of honey to it.
- Stir the mixture properly and apply it on the skin.
- Keep it for 30 minutes and then rinse it off.
Orange peel is an effective remedy for the treatment of acne. The presence of vitamin C in it helps in treating acne.
- Dry out some orange peels in the sun.
- Grind the dried peels into powder.
- Add some water to the powder to make a proper paste.
- Apply the paste on the infected area and keep it for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Baking soda is a natural exfoliative agent for the skin. It maintains the pH balance of the skin and removes the dead cells. The anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties present in baking soda helps in healing acne fast and effectively.
- Prepare a mixture by adding 2 tablespoon of baking soda, 5 teaspoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and few drops of lemon juice.
- Stir the mixture and apply it directly on the face.
- After 5 minutes rinse it off.
- Add some water to baking soda.
- Mix it well.
- Apply it on the infected area.
- Leave it for 5 minutes to dry out and then wash it off with water.
- For effective results, apply the procedure twice a week.