Bentonite clay is one of the most effective natural skin and hair care products you need to hoard on. The results of using bentonite clay for hair are astounding.
What is Bentonite Clay?
Bentonite clay (montmorillonite) is a substance similar to mud (texture and appearance) derived from volcanic ash. In the recent past, beauty experts have discovered amazing benefits of this clay for face and hair.
Bentonite clay can be used for hair as a natural pack to add moisture and remove toxins.
How to Use Bentonnite Clay for Hair?
Bentonite clay is renowned in the beauty industry for its amazing healing properties. When used on scalp and hair directly, it imparts deep moisture to the hair making it soft and shiny. It treats a variety of hair and scalp related issues including dry scalp, damage from heat, dry hair, chemically treated hair, frizziness, dull hair, and scalp infections.
A bentonite mask with water and vinegar will draw out excess dirt and oil from scalp.
Amazing Benefits of Bentonite Clay for Hair
- Detoxification of Hair: Since bentonite clay is anionic or negative-charged, it attracts positive-charged (cationic) toxins. When combined with other clarifying and detoxifying agents such as water or vinegar. Washing the clay off will remove all of the unwanted impurities from hair. It will also clarify hair from chemicals, toxins, and heavy metals from the scalp.
- Prevents Infections: This miraculous clay will protect your scalp and hair from infections. As discussed above, it is anionic in nature which allows it to effectively cleanse chemical build-up and excess oil from the scalp. A cleaner healthier scalp is revealed which ensures ample protection from fungal and bacterial infections. Additionally, the antimicrobial properties of this clay will prevent scalp from serious infections such as psoriasis, irritation, and seborrheic dermatitis.
- Removes Dandruff: Dandruff is one of the most common hair problems faced by men and women, these days. Malassezia fungus is mainly responsible for an itchy scalp and dandruff. The main source of this fungus is extra-sebum on scalp. Over secretion of sebum offers a thriving place for this fungus. Application of bentonite clay on a regular basis will help with effective scalp cleansing. The extra sebum will be removed. The process will also help with scraping off the accumulated dandruff on scalp. Use of this clay hair mask will prevent dandruff formation and makes your scalp unfriendly for the nasty fungus.
- Promotes Hair Growth: Bentonite clay is loaded with essential minerals such as calcium, potassium, and sodium. These minerals play a vital role in the growth of longer thicker hair. Hair masks effectively cleanse hair follicles and remove dead skin cells from the scalp. This allows stimulation of follicles. Clean scalp allows growth of fresh hair.
- Adds Natural Shine: Regular application of bentonite clay masks can add natural healthy luster to hair.
Frequency of Use
Applying bentonite hair mask once in a week is enough to see results. It will detoxify and cleanse the scalp. The mask will also add natural shine to the hair. Here’s how you use the mask:
- Bentonite clay – 1/2 cup
- Apple cider vinegar – 1/4 cup
- Aloe vera gel – 1 tbsp
- Honey – a few drops (optional)
- Step 1: Mix all ingredients until you get a semi thick (yogurt-like) consistency.
- Step 2: Dampen hair with water and apply the mask to your hair and scalp. Coat each strand with the mask.
- Step 3: Allow the mask to sit for about 20-25 minutes.
- Step 4: Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
- The mask should not dry in your hair. You can cover with a shower cap to keep it from drying.
- The process of preparing hair mask, applying it, and washing is a time consuming process. Make sure you spare ample time for the same.