One of the well known herbal wonder drug with which we all are extracting the benefits and medicinal uses is garlic. Garlic is always found in our kitchen and the reason being the healthier and a high antioxidant effect. It is not required to take a surplus amount of garlic in our daily diet. The medicinal effect could also be regain by intaking the same in vegetables and through other recipes. Studies have proved that garlic is high in antioxidant values and is widely used in herbal medicines. It is in demand as it protects the body against the damaging effects of free radicals. The effectiveness comes when garlic is eaten in raw state, as it imparts more advantages to the body. However, the consumption of 1 1/2 to 2 cloves per day is sufficient to combat infections and illness.
High in merits
- Blood thinning: The anti- clotting properties of a compound found in garlic is responsible to prevent generation of blood clots in the body. Hence, it may also increases the risk of bleeding after surgery.
- A high source of sulphur: Naturally grown garlic possess a good amount of sulphur and indicates more health benefits. A stronger tasting Clove of garlic refers to more sulphur content and therefore it has high medicinal usages. The pungent odour of garlic is also due to the presence of sulphur in it.
- To treat skin infections: The chemical ajoene found in garlic is great to treat skin infections like ringworm and athlete’s foot. The fungal infections can even spread throughout the body if not taken under prime concern.
- Protects heart: Garlic is one of the main agent which protects our heart against cardiovascular problem like heart attack and atherosclerosis. It is advisable for heart patients to consume a required amount of garlic on the regular basis. With age, the arteries tend to lose their ability to stretch. Garlic may help to reduce this and helps to protect the heart from the damaging effects of free radicals.
- Reduces cholesterol: This magical herb is also responsible for lowering down the overall cholesterol and lower our blood triglycerides and reduce arterial plaque formation.
- Resist allergies: The anti-inflammatory action of garlic helps in combating allergies . Regular consumption of garlic improves allergic airway inflammation. The juice of raw garlic relieves from itching due to rashes and bug bites.
- Diabetes: It helps in increasing insulin in the body and regulates blood sugar levels in the diabetic patients.
- Antibiotic effect: Garlic is well known for its antibiotic effect. It is effective in controlling bacterial, fungal, viral, and worm infections in the body. Cloves of fresh garlic are great in preventing food poisoning.
- Reduces blood pressure: Our blood pressure increases when blood vessels contract due to a protein called Angiotensin II. The compound in garlic, allicin blocks the activity of Angiotensin II and reduces the increased blood pressure.
- Boost iron metabolism: A protein, ferroportin helps in absorbing the excess iron in the body. Diallyl sulfides in garlic increases the production of ferroportin and improves our body’s iron metabolism
Therefore, it is a must ingredient of mostly all the recipes. It’s effects are phenomenal and a great supplement to contribute with all the essential antioxidant power. It is strong and bitter but adds an unbelievable flavour in the dishes. It has been a medicinal remedy since time immemorial to treat severe diseases and conditions. According to a recent study, garlic may help to regulate the formation of fat cells in the body. A good option for diet conscious as it prevents weight gain too.