[ Hindi version ]
Custard apple is a round heartshaped fruit which has a sweet taste. The fruit is soft and chewy with a hard exterior. The flesh is white in color and has a creamy texture.The pulp coats black shiny seeds that are not consumed, as they are slightly poisonous. Custard apples are used as dessert and nutritious snack. They can alsobe used in making shakes, smoothies and ice creams. It is one of the right kinds of fruit to stay healthy.
Custard Apple or Seethaphal is high in calorie content but contains minerals like iron, phosphorous, calcium and riboflavin. Custard apples are a well-balanced food containing protein, fiber, minerals, vitamins, energy and little fat. A single custard apple contains approximately 237 calories but has a low glycemic index and load.
Custard apples, with its high calories, natural sugars and delicious flavor, are good as a dessert and as a nutritious snack. Custard apple can be made into shakes or smoothies, or even into natural ice creams. It is good for those who have hyper thyroidism or desire to gain weight – a mixture of honey and custard apple fruit is presumed to help people add on those much-needed calories. Let’s looks at some other custard apple nutritional details.
Health benefits of eating Custard Apples
- Custard apples are rich source of vitamin C, an antioxidant that can combat the free radicals in the body.
- The fruit furthermore has vitamin A, which is good for healthy skin, better vision and for healthy hair.
- The magnesium in custard apple can defend the heart from cardiac diseases and can rest the muscles.
- Custard apples are furthermore rich in vitamin B6 and potassium.
- Custard apple fruit are rich in copper and have loads of dietary fiber, which is good for holding the digestive tract healthy and aids digestion and stops constipation.
- Custard apple fruit have reduced grades of fat, which is good for health.
- It is believed that a paste made with the creamy flesh of the fruit can be utilized as a balm to treat boils, abscesses and ulcers.
- Custard apples can be sun-dried and then ground into a dust, which can heal dysentery and diarrhea.
- Custard apples also act as coolants, stimulants and expectorants. These fruits are good for treating anemia.
- You can also use it in the form of beverage that can act as a alternate to milk.
- Even the bark of the custard apple tree, which comprises of astringents and tannins, is used in making herbal medicines. The leaves of the tree are supposed to be good for healing cancerous disease and tumors; while the bark can ease toothaches and gum pain.
- Healthy Skin and Hair—Custard apple is a beneficial fruit for healthy skin, healthy hair and better eyesight as it has high levels of Vitamin A
- Hyper-Thyroidism–Custard apples are good for those who need to gain weight
- During Pregnancy-Custard apple is helpful in the developmentof the brain, nervous system and immune system of a fetus. Regular consumption of custard apple during pregnancy reduces the chances of miscarriage and minimizes the extent of labor pain during delivery. It is termed by some as the pregnancy wonder fruit that helps in coping with morning sickness, nausea and mood swings. Custard apple is also helpful in increasing the production of breast milk after the childbirth.
- Prevents Asthma—the nutrient Vitamin B6 in custard apple helps to reduce the bronchial inflammation and help prevent asthmatic attacks.
- Prevents Heart Attacks—Custard apple has a rich content of magnesium helpsto defend the heart from cardiac attack and can help relax the muscles. Along with this The Vitamin B6 content helps to minimize the risk of heart diseases by preventing the collection of homocytein.
- Aids Digestion—thedietary fiber and copper in the fruit helps in digestioneases bowel movement and relieves constipation. Custard apple can be sun dried and made into powder. This powder taken with water is helpful in preventing diarrhea.
- Controls Blood Pressure-— Custard apple is helpful in controlling blood pressure.
- Reduces Cholesterol—the niacin and dietary fiber in custardapple helps in lowering cholesterol levels.
- Treating Anemia-– Custard apple serve as a stimulant, coolant, expectorant and hematinic. Moreover, the rich iron source is also useful in treating anemia. Custard apple is an excellent source of copperwhich helps the body to form hemoglobin.
- Rheumatism and Arthritis—the symptoms of rheumatism and arthritis can be reduced with help of magnesium in custard apple thatequalizes the water balance in the body and removes acids from the joints. It is also helpful in reducing the weakness of the muscles.
- Boils and ulcers–It is believed that a paste made with the creamy flesh of the fruit can be used as a balm to treat boils, abscesses and ulcer.
- Stress and depression—Custard apple is said to be a good source of vitamin B complex which helps in controlling the GABA neuron chemicals in the brain. This relaxes the mind and helps to calm down stress, tension, irritability and depression.
- Excellent for Diabetics—the high content of dietary fiber in custard apple helps to slow down the absorption of sugar and reduces the risk of type-2 diabetes. Vitamin C is the basic factor that controls the sugar level in the body. Custard apple has a very high content of Vitamin C helps in diabetes in a very effective manner. The rich magnesium content in custard apple help in keeping the production of insulin and in regulating the regulation of glucose. Custard apple is also high in potassium content which also helps to regulate the insulin levels in diabetics. The high content of iron helps to fight against anemia and control diabetes.
Conclusion—Custard apples contain anti-oxidants which help to fight free radicals in the body. It is also high in potassium and magnesium that protects the heart from cardiac disease. Custard apples are a well-balanced food containing protein, fiber, minerals, vitamins, energy and little fat. As mentioned above it has the power to combat several diseases.
[ Hindi version ]