In the past years chocolate has been on the negative note because of its fat content. Its consumption has been linked with acne, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes and obesity. Recent discoveries have changed the views on its effect on aging, stress, control of blood pressure.
Chocolates have been recently found to be packed with healthy chemicals like flavonoids and theobromine. Cacao on its own is a bitter, chalky stuff but when mixed with milk sugar and butter it becomes a tasty snack. But its intake should be limited as it is high in fat and sugar.
Women have a tendency of consuming chocolates as for them it is very tasty. Ladies belonging to all age group has the fascination of having bites of choco. People say that having chocolates can make an individual become bulky. Even it has some harmful effects to teeth. The fact is true especially if you consume the chocolates that involve milk more. But, you can easily avail benefits from those chocolates that have cocoa content more than that of milk. That which has more cocoa content specifically the dark ones has healthy ingredients such as theobromine and flavonoids.
Makes you slim
Chocolate may not be an obvious food alternative for dieters, but studies suggest that consuming chocolate in moderation could really keep you slim. The study conducted by the University of California checked the theory that, as chocolate is accepted to boost your metabolism, these benefits may annul out the kilojoules consumed. The results proposed that chocolate may not only be kilojoule neutral; it can also help you to lose weight. The researchers found out that adults who consumed chocolate often had a smaller BMI than those who didn’t, regardless of them often consuming more kilojoules and not exercising more.
While skin creams are great for keeping your skin looking more youthful. To really keep the wrinkles at bay you need to look into your diet. Antioxidants, found in fruits and vegetables, help to battle the free-radicals that can lead to wrinkles, and luckily there is an even tastier way to get your load up. Studies have proposed that, when it comes to battling free-radicals, chocolate could be even healthier than fruit! When tested and contrasted to juices from ‘superfruits’ such as blueberries and pomegranate, dark chocolate was discovered to be higher in antioxidants.
Makes you smarter
Got a written test approaching up? Boost your IQ and indulge your flavor buds at the same time by snacking on a few squares of sweets. Dark chocolate is wealthy in brain-boosting chemicals, called flavonoids, which can enhance your cognitive skills by inducing the creation of new neurons in the mind and improving their proficiency to form new recollections, as well as advancing body-fluid flow to the brain. One study on women discovered that when given flavonoid-rich chocolate beverages, the body-fluid flow to participants’ minds increased in two hours and they presented better on a complex mental task.
Gives you power
Chocolate not only boasts many amazing well-being advantages, it is also a great pick-me-up snack that can help you stay energized for your workouts. Chocolate is high in energy-boosting chemicals encompassing theobromine (a stimulant found in numerous well liked energy drinks) and caffeine. Furthermore, chocolate is a large source of magnesium and chromium, which plays a vital role in power production. Have a couple of bars of chocolate in the afternoon or before a workout to help stay energized for longer.
Slows down muscle age
This may sound too good to be factual, but shockingly researchers have found out that little allowances of dark chocolate can advance your wellbeing in a similar way to exercise! Investigators from Wayne State University discovered that a plant aggregate (epicatechin) discovered in chocolate stimulated the identical muscle answer as vigorous exercise, which could help to slow down muscle ageing. Now, we’re not proposing you should swap your workouts for sweets, but surely this is a good remedy to heal yourself post-workout with a few bars of your favorite chocolate!
Assists you live longer
Now researchers have discovered that there may be some truth in the assertions that chocolate can help you to live longer. Cocoa beans are packed with antioxidants which can help battle infection and cut your risk of heart disease. Indeed, US researchers proved that chocolate can reduce your risk of heart infection by over a third.
Makes you joyous
If you ever find yourself craving for chocolate to alleviate a bad mood, it appears you could be up on something. Chocolate is renowned to be high in mood-boosting chemicals, and an outcome published in the scientific periodical Nutritional Neuroscience have proposed that the nourishment can even help decrease the symptoms of depression. The popular heal is not only high in magnesium, which can help relaxation, but it comprises anandamide, a neurotransmitter which can help to regulate mood, and phenylethylamine, which raises endorphin levels.
- Recent researches claim that chocolate has cardiovascular benefits. Daily consumption of a square of chocolate helps to lower blood pressure and reduced risk of heart attack and stroke. The credit for this goes to the flavonoids and antioxidant compounds in chocolate that help to increase the flexibility of veins and arteries. It is recommended that because of the generous amount of milk sugar and butter chocolate works surprisingly well with exercise.
- Weight Loss is another surprising benefit of chocolates. Dark chocolate is more filling than the lighter chocolate, though both offer a feeling of satisfaction and lessen the craving for salty sewer and fatty foods.
- Women who ate chocolate daily during their pregnancy reported that they could handle stress in a better way than the mothers who did not take chocolates. They also admitted that their babies were happier.
- Studies in Italy have revealed that dark chocolate eaten once a day helps to drop the level of insulin. It is found that flavonoids increase nitric oxide production which helps to control insulin sensitivity.
- Chocolates help to significantly reduce the stress hormone level s and destroy the metabolic effects of stress.
- Recently researchers in London have tested the sun protecting power of chocolate. The tanning process of the sun on the skin is found to have been delayed in people consuming chocolates regularly.
- Chocolates help to boost the brain power. It has been found that drinking cocoa rich in flavonoids boosts blood flow to key parts of the brain for 2 to 3 hours. This could improve performance and alertness of the person in the short term.
- Chocolate contains the chemical – theobromine which may give relief from cough by suppressing activity in the part of the brain called vagus nerve.
- The cocoa flavonoids of chocolate bind to a protein that regulates fluid secretion in the small intestine. This in turn helps to give relief from diarrheal.
- Chocolate helps in giving relief to women from premenstrual syndrome. Chocolate releases calming endorphins which help to reduce anxiety. And the high content of magnesium in it lifts moods and reduces water retention
- Daily consumption of cocoa flavonoids-containing dark chocolate has lowered cholesterol and improved blood pressure.
- It has been proven that cocoa extract – called lava do can reduce or block damage to nerve pathways found in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. This helps to reduce the symptoms of the disease.
- Lately published studies claim that dark chocolate consumed in moderation is good for health. It can help to increase the distance of walking in people suffering from peripheral artery disease.
Nutritional benefits of dark chocolate
Dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants and disease fighting flavonoids that positively affect the health of a person. It is made from the seed of the cocoa tree, and is one of the best sources of antioxidants. Dark chocolate is loaded with organic compounds polyphenols, flavones, catechins which function as antioxidants. Cocoa and dark chocolate have a wide variety of powerful antioxidants, much more than most other foods.It is also rich in Iron, Copper, Magnesium, Fiber, Manganese and some other minerals.
Risks and precautions
- Chocolate has a high calorie count because it contains large amounts of sugar. Chocolate consumption must be limited by people who wish to control weight or are trying to lose weight.
- The large amount of sugar in most chocolates can also cause tooth decay especially in young children.
- Chocolate may cause poor bone structure and make the bones brittle especially in elderly persons. It tends to lower the bone density and strength of the bones in old age.
Top health benefits of eating chocolates
You can now get a wonderful heart with the consumption of chocolates. These days most of the individuals are suffering from heart disorder. The Cholesterol and changes in lifestyle is another reason for the same. You can now get healthy heart with the consumption of chocolates. But remember, the chocolates need to be of darker variety.
Stress reduction technique
People are too much stressed out with day to day life. It is the time for you to get a stress free environment. Chocolates help in rejuvenating your cells as we become really happy after consumption of it. Researchers have also found out that people having tension can get it reduced with the chocolate intake. This helps you get a boost in your body metabolism with stress reduction technique.
Improving your mood
If you are suffering from mood off due to some reason at home or work place, it is the time for you to take chocolate as it improves your mood. You will be happy with the drop in of chocolate inside your body. This will help you get motivated. You get a boost up in your mood with an advantage of working well in every field.
You will be amazed to know that chocolate consumption helps in getting cold relief. If due to season change you get affected with cough and cold, chocolate consumption will help you out. As the chocolate is hot, it will make your body warm from inside. This will give you great relief from cold.