Dry scalp makes the hair look dull, unmanageable, and itchy and creates many problems of the scalp. The main causes of dry scalp can be use of shampoos and hair products containing harmful chemicals. Long period of exposure to extreme hot or cold conditions, in air-conditioned rooms or working out in the sun can also damage the texture of the hair and make the scalp dry. Over hair styling using several tools, gels and lotions can also lead to dryness of the hair. Improper diet and lack of hair hygiene can also be a culprit for dryness of the scalp. There must be a remedy to treat this
Home remedies for dry scalp
Tea tree oil is an amazing home remedy for dry scalp. The natural oils of tea tree oil nourish, and moisturize the hair which helps to cure itchiness, flakiness and dryness which are the prevalent symptoms of dryness of the scalp. Tea tree oil must always be diluted with water or any other vegetable oil before massaging it on the scalp.
Lemon juice and honey together make a perfect combination to treat a dry scalp with their cleansing and anti-bacterial properties. Applying this mixture to a dry scalp will help to get rid of the dryness of the scalp.
Coconut oil is one of the most widely used home remedies to treat dry scalp. It prevents dryness and flakiness and also restores the natural moisture of the scalp. Just massage warm coconut oil gently on the scalp. Rinse the hair after an hour.
Olive oil helps to treat the dryness of the scalp with the help of Vitamin E and mono-saturated fatty acids in it. Massage extra virgin olive oil into the scalp and wash after half an hour.
Hair loss is another common problem which many people suffer from. It can be due to extreme climatic conditions, too much of smoking, poor diet, hormonal imbalance, infections of the scalp, genetic conditions , certain medicines, some illnesses like thyroid, anemia and cancer, and use of hair care products containing harmful chemicals.
Home remedies for hair loss
- Hair oil massage is the first step to reduce hair loss. Massage increases the blood flow to the hair follicles, nourishes the scalp and strengthens the hair roots. It also reduces the feelings of stress by relaxing the body and mind. Massage can be done with any oil like coconut oil, almond oil. Olive oil, castor oil or Alma oil.
- Indian gooseberry or Alma is rich in Vitamin C which promoted thick and fast hair growth. Vitamin C deficiency in the body can lead to hair loss. Mix the pulp of Alma and some lemon juice and apply it on the scalp. Cover it with a shower cap and leave it overnight. Wash and shampoo the hair in the morning.
- Fenugreek is found to be highly effective in treating hair loss. It is also known as methi. Fenugreek seeds enhance hair growth and help tore build hair follicles. The proteins and nicotinic acid in these seeds stimulate hair growth. Soak fenugreek seed in water at night. Grind them to a paste in the morning and apply them on the scalp and hair. Cover with a shower cap. Rinse the hair with water after 40 minutes.
- Onion juice helps to treat hair loss because of its high sulfur content, which improves the blood circulation to the hair follicles and nourishes the hair roots. Onion juice also helps to kill germs and parasites and cure bacterial infections of the scalp which can cause hair loss. Extract the onion juice by grating it and apply it directly on the scalp. Wash and shampoo the hair after 30 minutes.
- Chinese hibiscus flower contains many natural properties that help in treating hair loss. This flower can also be used to treat dandruff, thicken hair,and prevent split ends and premature graying. Heat few flowers in coconut oil till it is well cooked. Strain and apply the oil on the scalp at night. Wash in the morning.
- Beetroot contains all the nutrients that are conducive to healthy hair growth. Boil and grind beetroot leaves and mix with henna powder to make a fine paste. Apply the paste on the scalp and wash after 20 minutes.