All the women aspire to get those soft rosy lips as it adds a natural beauty to the overall appearance. Many of us, who are born with soft pink lips, end up with dark lips with age.
While you have the hormones to blame to some extent for darkening of the lips, your daily habits might actually be the primary cause behind it.
The good thing is, by making small changes in your habits, you can stop the gradual darkening of the lips and with a bit extra effort you can even lighten the shade of your lips and get those rosy, pink lips that you adore.
This article will first highlight on the habits that you need to change to get rose soft lips naturally and then will move to the home treatments that can lighten your lips over time with regular use.
Pick your toothpaste carefully to get pink lips
If you have sensitive skin, be sure that the skin of your lips is even more sensitive. No matter which technique of brushing you follow, the toothpaste is sure to come in contact with your lips and in many case, it is the toothpaste responsible for darkening of the lips.
So, while picking your toothpaste make sure that you are picking a herbal one that will not burn your lips. Moreover, if you find that your lips look darker and drier after using some particular toothpaste, change it immediately.
To get rosy lips opt more for natural lip stains
All the women love lipsticks but the chemicals in lipstick often work as the major reason for darkening of the lips. If you use lipstick regularly, it can certainly be the reason for darker lips.
In such cases, it is best if you shift to natural stains. You can also opt for lip glosses and lip stains that are made from natural ingredients and will not cause darkening of the lips even on regular use.
Do not miss to clean your lips well to keep them soft and pink
After you are back home, it is really important that you remove your lip makeup very carefully. Often lipstick and other lip makeup products get into the skin folds within the lips and they are not removed completely unless you pay special attention to them.
Going to the bed with even a little trace of lip makeup can be most harmful for your lips. So, once you are back home, take full care to ensure that you remove the lip makeup completely.
Use oil or micellar water for cleansing your lips to make them soft
Using harsh chemical based cleansers on your lips regularly is certainly not a good option. The harsh cleansers will dry out the lips and will also propel the darkening of the lips.
It is best to use micellar water or an oil (Olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil etc.) for cleansing your lips properly. If needed, use more than one swipe of the oil soaked cotton ball to make sure that there is no trace of lip makeup left.
Moisturizing is vital for pink lips
Just like your skin, your lips also need regular moisturizing. Leaving them dry will not only make your lips rough but can also make them darker.
You can easily use the face moisturizer on your lips too. In fact, that is what most of us do. There are also a number of moisturizer and lip butters available in the market that is solely formulated for taking care of your lips.
So, a lip butter or your regular face moisturizer, whatever it is, just make sure that your lips are always well moisturized with a skin friendly moisturizer.
Protect your lips from the sun too
The importance of a sunscreen is not less for your lips either. The skin of the lips is sensitive and they can easily take the burn of the harmful sun rays. So, if you are using a lip gloss or lipstick while going out, make sure that it has Sun Protection Factor.
Otherwise, apply the normal sunscreen that you use on your face, on your lips too, before opting for the makeup. Protecting your lips from the harmful UV rays is important for keeping your lips soft and rosy.
For soft pink lips scrubbing is vital
Scrubbing your face is important to discard the dead old cells and in the same way scrubbing your lips is vital too. Using the same scrubber for your lips that you use for your face is not the best option at hand because even the scrubbers come loaded with chemicals.
So, it is best to prepare a lip scrub at home following any of the formulas mentioned below and use it after every 4-7 days for scrubbing your lips and getting rid of the dead cells. Now, we will get to the home treatments that can give you pink, rosy lips with regular use.
However, keep in mind it is important that you follow the above suggestions minutely while using these home treatments in order to get effective results. First we will sum up some homemade scrub treatments for soft, pink lips.
Homemade lip scrub for pink lips
- Sugar and milk cream scrub
- Coffee and honey
- Almond and olive oil lip scrub
- Lemon and milk
- Butter and honey
- Yogurt and aloe vera
- Beet juice and glycerin
You can easily prepare a lip scrub at home by adding sugar granules with milk cream. The sugar you will use for this purpose should have smaller granules. Sugar granules will remove the dead skin cells while the milk cream will prevent drying of the lips.
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon milk cream
- Add 1/2 spoon sugar with 1/2 spoon milk cream.
- Mix the two well and use this mixture for scrubbing your lips lightly for 2-3 minutes.
- Once done, wash off with water.
You can easily prepare a luxurious lip treatment at home by mixing grounded coffee with honey. Coffee granules will exfoliate the skin while the honey will take care of the moisturizing needs and will also make your lips soft.
- 1/2 tablespoon coffee
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- Add 1/2 spoon of lightly grounded coffee with 1/2 spoon honey.
- Mix the two well and scrub the lips with the resulting mixture.
- Make sure that you scrub the lips in a soft but steady circular motion.
- After scrubbing for 2-3 minutes leave on for 30 seconds and then wash off with water.
To get those soft lips you can easily prepare almond-olive oil lip scrub cum moisturizer at home. Almond granules will help in exfoliating the lips, while the olive oil will provide nourishment making your lips soft and rosy.
- 2 almonds
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Take 2 almonds and grate them to make a powder with chunks.
- Now add 1/2 spoon olive oil in this almond dust and use the resulting mixture for scrubbing your lips.
- Continue scrubbing for 2-4 minutes and then wash off with water.
Lemon and milk can work miraculously for lightening the dark lips. If you are looking for soft rosy lips, you should not miss out this treatment.
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Lemon juice
- Take 2 spoons milk and add 5-6 drops of fresh lemon juice in it.
- Massage your lips lightly for 4-5 minutes with the resulting mixture and then wash off with water.
- Repeat everyday and you can see the improvements in a few weeks.
Butter has extreme moisturizing ability and it can make your lips really soft. Honey on the other hand, hydrates the lips and helps in fighting any infection. To get soft lips using a mixture of butter and honey every night before going to bed can be an effective way.
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- Heat the butter lightly on a flame and mix 1/2 spoon of butter with 1/2 spoon of honey.
- Massage this mixture on your well cleaned and exfoliated lips every night before going to the bed.
- You will get soft and rosy lips in a few weeks.
To get rid of the black stains and spots on the lips and to make your lips pink, nourishment is important. You can prepare a nourishing pack with yogurt and Aloe Vera for pink lips.
Both yogurt and Aloe Vera are ideal for skin nourishment and their regular use is sure to bring out the original pink and soft lips you had as a teenager.
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Aloe Vera juice
- Collect the Aloe Vera pulp from a fresh Aloe Vera leaf.
- Add 1 spoon of yogurt with 1 spoon of the smashed and strained Aloe Vera juice.
- Mix the two well and massage your lips with this mixture for 5-6 minutes.
- Leave on for another 10 minutes and then wash off with water.
To make your lips rosy pink, instead of using the chemical based lip makeups you can easily opt for a homemade lip stain that will give your lips a natural color and will also make them soft.
- 1 tablespoon beet juice
- 1/3rd tablespoon glycerin
- Take a beetroot and grate it.
- Squeeze out the juice, take the juice in a steel container and then leave it in the fridge for 1 day, without covering the container.
- The next day you will see that the beet juice has thickened.
- You can also heat the beet juice over flame to make it thicker.
- Finally add 1 spoon of this thickened beet juice with 1/3rd spoon of glycerin.
- Mix the two well and use this mixture for staining your lips.
- At one hand it will make a natural substitute for chemical based lip colors and on the other it will also make your lips soft, rosy and beautiful.