Many women around the world use several personal care products like shampoo, moisturizers, creams, lotions, make-up, hair spray sprays and gels everyday. There some other purely personal hygiene care products like pads, tampons, wipes and vaginadouche. Most of this products use certain chemicals which are harmful. The toxic ingredients in these products, when applied on the skin are directly absorbed in the bloodstream and reach the delicate organs in the body.
Market is flooded with various types of feminine products starting from crème cosmetics till the hygiene varieties. Not all products are safe for skin and health. The research has shown the remains of toxic ingredients in such feminine products. The toxins present in creams and beauty products might be tolerated as it causes damage to skin. But, toxic content in hygienic products such as sanitary napkins, Vaginal wash etc can cause serious harm to ladies. The skin around the vaginal wall is really sensitive. The toxin rich products getting touched to that particular place can be inclined to the blood stream and your whole body will be disturbed.
Dangers of toxic ingredients in feminine personal care products
- Feminine hygiene products like tampons and sanitary pads are a source of number of potential toxic ingredients, organisms and pesticides. It is found that one sanitary pad is equal to four plastic bags. These plasticized chemicals can develop endocrine disruption and diseases related to heart problems and cancer. Tampons and pads also contain synthetic fibers, dioxins and petrochemical addictive. There is a possibility of tamponsreacting with the bacteria in the body and providing a good environment for the bacteria to multiply fast. This can lead to a toxic shock syndrome leading to death.
- The skin is the largest organ in the body. The skin is very thin and is permeable—more in the vaginal area. Applying chemicals on the delicate skin is said to be worse than eating them. When eaten the saliva and stomach helps in breaking the toxins and flushing them out of the body, but the toxins on the skin are taken directly into the blood stream and to the delicate organs.
- Dioxin is created from chlorine that is commonly used to bleach and whiten the sanitary pads. This dangerous toxin from the sanitary pads and tampons collect in the fatty tissues of the body and can result to abnormal tissue growth in the reproductive organs, and stomach. There can be abnormal cell growth throughout the body and there is disruption of the hormonal and endocrine balance.
- Most of the feminine hygiene products are made from cellulose, viscose, rayon and wood pulp. The rayon and viscose fibers from the pads stick to the walls of the vagina and are left behind in the body and lead to the risk of developing the toxic shock syndrome.
Safe alternatives to toxic feminine hygienic products
- Luckily there are some safer alternatives available in the market to prevent the risks arising from chemicals found in personal care products.
- Tampons and sanitary pads made from exclusive cotton lining,organic cotton tampons, and tampons free of chlorine and organic pads are safe to use.
- Fragranced personal care products are dangerous as a lot of chemical is used to make them. It is advisable to use unscented and fragrance free products that are not bleached with chlorine and are made of pure organic cotton.
- The ideal alternative to toxic tampons and sanitary pads are the latest reusable natural gum rubber menstrual caps. It is a costly product but one has to bear the cost just once and the cost of buying monthly pads will be saved. The menstrual caps are convenient, effective and easy to use.
A few common hazardous ingredients infeminine cosmetics
- Aluminium compounds are the main ingredients in antiperspirants and deodorants. They block the sweat ducts and prevents the sweat from coming out. The aluminium based products can lead to development of breast cancer
- Benzyl Alcohol and Isopropyl Alcohol irritate the skin. They are used as preservatives, solvents and anti-foaming agents for hand sanitizers, sunscreens, lotions and baby wipes.
- Boric Acid and Sodium Borate – Boric acid and sodium borate are preservatives in personal care products and baby products and are easily absorbed into the skin.
- Coal tar dyes prevalent in hair colours is a petroleum product which can cause allergies and cancer.
- Formaldehyde is a known sensitizer and a known carcinogen. It is found in soaps, shampoos, hair preparations, shaving cream and nail cleaning products Exposure to formaldehyde can cause joint pain, headaches, chest pains, ear infections, dizziness, and loss of sleep.
- Lead and mercury is a known carcinogen and neurotoxin found in nail colours, whitening toothpaste and lipsticks.
Worst toxic ingredients in feminine products
It is not only the chemicals that you are consuming everyday, rather the products that you are using also have the effect of toxins. If the chemical is consumed the enzymes present in our saliva will help break down and flush away through the excretory track. But when you are using the skin touched products that are rich in chemicals and toxins, it gets touched by your blood stream and cause damage to all the organs which are very sensitive.
Toxin present in sanitary pads and napkins
It has been found out that the amount of toxin in the hygiene products of female such as sanitary napkin will be really dangerous. Even though these products should be highly secured and must be away from all types of harmful chemicals. Even the manufacturing companies claims the most hygienic materials used in sanitary pads but in reality it is not true. While burning the pads, the black smoke is found out with a very thick residue. Thus, it is sure that the napkins contain petrochemical additives, dioxins and synthetic fibers.
Facts on conventional sanitary pads
The conventional sanitary pads that have the chemicals which are equal to the harmful chemical extracted from 4 plastic bags. The environmentalists have been repeatedly speaking about the harm to the environment with the use of plastic bags. This plastic bag is used in the conventional sanitary pads which in turn creates health Hazards.