Laundry detergents are essential to clean the clothes, bedding, towels and other fabrics that one comes in contact with every day. Sometimes the residue of this detergent in washed clothes can cause allergy problems. Also lots of detergents contain scents and perfumes that remain in the clothes after the wash. These can cause allergic conditions. Mostly the reaction is minor irritation but sometimes it becomes severe.
Symptoms of laundry detergent allergy
Symptoms of detergent allergy include rashes or hives. Other symptoms include coughing, sneezing or watering of eyes. There can also be tightening of the skin and itching. Nasal discharge is a common allergy symptom. Some people complain of wheezing, gasping for breath and symptoms of asthma. Serious symptoms that require immediate medical attention is an aphylactic shock.
How to avoid an allergic reaction to laundry detergent?
- Detergent allergies can be avoided by using special detergents that are designed to not be a reason for allergy.
- Less detergent can be used to minimize allergy and to get rid of it.
- The clothes need to be rinsed several times to get rid of the residue that cause allergy.
- Vinegar or washing soda can be used in the final rinse to get rid of the excess detergent remains.
- Use a detergent that does not contain scents. This is found not only in detergent but is also there infabric softeners, dryer sheets, bleaches etc. Natural fragrances and essential oils also cause allergies.
- There are products that cause allergy to one person, may not cause the reaction on another person.
- There are some detergents that cause allergy while others do not.
- If just one person in the house is allergic to the laundry detergent, all other members must use detergents that have no perfumes,no dyes, no fabric softener etc.
Treatment for detergent allergy
- Source of allergy should be identified. A doctor may ask for some blood test to determine the cause of allergy. Sometimes when source of allergy is not easily identified the doctor recommends a skin patch allergy test.
- Inflammation on rashes caused by detergent reaction can be reduced by using corticosteroid ointments. Itchiness and irritation can be relieved with anti -itch lessons.
- Best is to change to perfume free and dye free detergents and fabric softeners. The chemicals that are used to color and scent these detergents are harmful and can cause allergies. Use of natural products will minimize the allergy due to chemical reactions. It is better to use natural products which do not cause allergy.
- Rashes and irritation by allergy can be reduced naturally by cold soaks and ice compresses. It is found that sometimes irritation can become worse with antibiotic creams.
- Allergic symptoms can be relieved by applying topical anti-histamine creams.
- Sometimes nasal drops or sprays are helpful in allergic conditions.
- If allergy does not subside within 2-3 weeks after trying all natural methods , it is better to consult a doctor
Tips & warnings
Detergent allergies are not difficult to control. They can be easily controlled by changing the detergent to one that is free from perfume, dye and other chemicals.
A rash or some other type of skin irritation caused by detergents will disappear in 2-3 weeks if proper precautions are taken
Cortisones should be avoided to stop discoloration of the skin and to increase irritation.
It is quite common among many people to view the detergent allergies. Since detergent also poses some harmful chemicals that helps in removing the tough stains, it is quite natural to develop rashes and skin allergy to people who cannot withstand the chemical. If you are having the same problem, use gloves while washing clothes. Various components of detergent are really harmful that is backed with the release of anti bodies such as histamines. Your body will easily respond to the inflammatory symptoms which help the allergies to get eliminated.
You can now variety of treatment procedure with the detergent allergy. You can try out some home remedies at an initial stage. Even if it does not work, visit a dermatologist. He will examine the cause and provide right medicine and ointment to cure allergy completely. Skin patch allergy testing is also done by the doctor to know the type of allergy.