We often see people with puffy eyes which seems to be the most unattractive features one could ever have! There are several reasons for puffy eyes such as over consumption of salt/caffeine/alcohol, skin allergies, sinus, hormonal changes, lack of sleep, smoking etc.
It can also be a heredity problem. The below mentioned DIY eye masks will help you heal and reduce eye puffiness naturally.
Best homemade eye masks for puffy eyes
- Tea bag eye mask
- Rose water eye mask
- Chamomile tea eye mask
- Coffee grounds and egg white eye mask
- Green tea and Aloe Vera gel eye mask
- Cucumber and coconut oil eye mask
- Parsley and yogurt eye mask
- Buttermilk and turmeric eye mask
- Strawberry eye mask
Tea contains caffeine, which aids in contracting the puffy skin below your eyes. Moreover, the tannins in caffeine stimulate blood circulation and tightens your skin.
- 2 Green tea/Black tea bags
- 1 cup hot water
- Dip the tea bags in a cup of warm water.
- Remove it after 1-2 minutes and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Place the teabags on your eyes for 20-30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Do it at least twice a week for quick results.
Rose water has anti-inflammatory properties and is very rich in vitamin C and vitamin A. However, the main reason to use rosewater for puffy eyes is because it an astringent which naturally contracts your skin cells.
- Handful of fresh rose petals
- Half cup distilled water
- Dip the rose petals into the cup of warm distilled water and wait until the petals lose their colour.
- Now strain the mixture and let it cool.
- Take a cotton ball, soak it in rose water and dab it on affected areas.
- Repeat it 2-3 times a week.
Chamomile tea does not contain caffeine like other tea but it has anti-inflammatory properties and is loaded with antioxidants. It contains natural properties, which help to reduce puffiness under eyes.
- 3 bags of Chamomile tea
- Half hot cup water
- Dip 3 bags of Chamomile tea in hot water and leave it for 30-40 minutes
- Squeeze the tea bags thoroughly and keep it aside.
- Once the mixture completely cools down take two cotton pads, soak it in the mixture and place it over your eyes.
- Change the cotton pads every 10-15 minutes and repeat the process thrice.
- Do it three times a week for best results.
The caffeine in coffee is very beneficial in reducing swelling of puffy eyes. Coffee also contains anti-ageing antioxidants. Egg whites help in vanishing baggy eyes.
- 2 tablespoons coffee grounds
- 1 egg white
- Mix coffee grounds and egg white thoroughly in a bowl.
- Apply it on puffy area under the eyes.
- Let the mask set for 10 minutes.
- Wipe off the mask with warm damp towel.
- Apply eye cream or moisturizer.
Green tea consist natural tannins which works wonders for puffy eyes. Due to anti-inflammatory properties of Aloe Vera gel it also benefits in healing puffy eyes.
- 1 small cup green tea
- Two cotton rounds
- 1 tablespoon Aloe Vera gel
- Mix 1 tablespoon Aloe Vera gel in small cup of green tea and stir well.
- Soak the cotton rounds in the green tea mixture.
- Apply soaked cotton rounds on the eyes and leave for 10 minutes.
- Take away cotton rounds, massage and apply eye cream.
Cucumber relaxes your eyes, reduces puffiness, and is one of the best remedy for getting rid of baggy eyes. Besides, coconut oil nourishes and smoothens the skin.
- 1-2 cucumber
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Blend 1 or 2 cucumber and coconut oil in a blender.
- Refrigerate the mixture.
- Soak cotton pads in the mixture and place it on your eyes for 10-15 minutes.
- Take off the cotton pads and wipe eyes with warm damp towel.
Due to presence of vitamin K, vitamin C and chlorophyll in parsley it helps in reducing puffiness and wrinkles too. Yogurt is beneficial in relaxing your eyes.
- Handful of parsley
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 2 cotton balls
- Mix parsley and yogurt in a bowl and stir well.
- Soak cotton balls in it and place it on your eyes for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water, pat dry.
Turmeric has magical healing properties and is beneficial in reducing eye puffiness. Buttermilk contains various skin nourishing elements.
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon buttermilk
- Mix turmeric powder and buttermilk well till you get a lump free paste.
- Apply the mixture on puffy area of your eyes.
- Let it dry for 10-15 minutes.
- Wipe it off with damp towel followed by a splash of cold water, pat dry.
Strawberries are very effective in reducing eye puffs as they contain alpha hydroxy acid.
- 2 Chilled thick strawberry slices
- Cut one strawberry in thick slices and refrigerate it for 15 minutes.
- Put the chilled strawberry slices on your eyes and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Pat dry after a splash of cold water.