Eating a lot of ghee or literally drinking ghee is good after pregnancy, this is another very common pregnancy myth that you can hear at more or less every Indian home. There are people, who can actually swear by the name of ghee and they are sure to tell you all those over-glorified stories of how drinking ghee can help you to recover quickly during the post-pregnancy stage.
First, let me put one thing very clear, ghee is a tasty item with a bunch of nutrients, but it is very high in calorie and saturated fat and till now there are no scientific evidences that suggest drinking lots and lots of ghee after pregnancy can do any good to you. Now let us first take a look at the myth itself and then how ghee can actually fit into that expected bracket.
The myth about drinking ghee after delivery
It is believed that due to pregnancy the joints of the mother weaken and ghee can actually work like a machine oil to lubricate your joints, making them strong, smooth and back to the stage before. So, if you need your joints to be smooth after pregnancy drink ghee. Apart from that it is also believed that ghee can help in quick healing of the wounds that your body might have borne during delivery. So, if you had difficult delivery drink ghee to be healed quickly. The point, ghee is given all the energy a lactating mother needs, also stand there; so if you are feeding your child you should drink ghee. Now, having said all about the myth, let us look if we can find some scientific explanations for it.
During pregnancy and lactation your body needs high amount of calcium and ghee being made from cows’ milk it might work as a source of calcium for the body. As we know that calcium strengthens our bones, hence, the calcium present in ghee might actually do something in strengthening the bones but not obviously for lubricating the joints. Ghee also being filled with fats can supply the required energy that a new mother needs to recover after pregnancy and hence there might be some logic behind the suggestion in some sense.
However, the point here is that, it is true that your body needs extra energy and more of the vital nutrients like calcium and iron after delivery, but ghee is not certainly the best food you can include in your diet to get those nutrients and the energy, because consuming high amounts of ghee can have serious negative effects on your health.
The scientific explanation to eat ghee or not?
After delivery, the joints of the mother do not actually become weak or less lubricated. During delivery the body of the mother releases a hormone named relaxing, which relaxes all the muscles of the body and helps in delivering. This hormone relaxes the joints as well as the joint muscles, making one feel that her joints have gone weak. However, after delivery, the percentage of relaxing in the blood starts to reduce and within a few weeks the effect of this hormone is gone totally. Hence, naturally, after the relaxing level in your blood has reduced, you will feel that your joints have gotten their old strength back. In case, you feel joint numbness or weakness or pain at the joint even long after delivery, it is not due to pregnancy, but some other diseases that need to be treated immediately.
So, no matter if you drink ghee or not, naturally after a few weeks of delivery, your joints will get back their own strength and to fill the need of extra calcium in your body at this stage a balanced diet can be sufficiently effective. In case your doctor feels, she might also prescribe you a calcium supplement to ensure that your bones are strong, but drinking ghee for strengthening your bones is not really a wise option as that comes with a load of side effects. Consuming high amount of ghee can cause any or all of the following,
- Obesity, which works as the primary reason for many serious health problems.
- Heart diseases
- Increased blood cholesterol level and others
So, after giving birth, when you must be aiming to get back to shape quickly, resorting to eating ghee is not surely a good option. A well-balanced diet can supply all the nutrients and energy your body needs post-delivery and can also ensure that your baby gets all the nutrients it needs through you. In case, there is any need of any added nutrients, your doctor is the best person to understand that and suggest you supplements for filling that nutritional gap effectively without any side effects.
Ghee is a clarified butter, which is a good source of fat. Ghee is the most important food that can be added into your diet for pregnant woman.
Nutrients present in ghee
Ghee is high in calories that contain 717 calories per 100 grams. A serving of 81 grams of fat, and minimal amounts of protein approximately 1 gram. It has no sugar, dietary fiber or carbohydrates. Ghee is high in saturated fat to 7.6 grams per serving. Ghee is rich in Vitamin A, D, E, K2, and CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid). It has 50% of Vitamin A and 2% Calcium.
Medicinal benefits of ghee
- Ghee relieves from constipation. Take a glass of milk with 1 teaspoon of ghee mixed in it. Drink it before going to bed during the night. It helps to clear your bowels in the morning. It also relieves you from constipation.
- Eat a little amount of clarified butter that helps to reduce the intoxicating effects when you are influenced by alcohol.
- Ghee helps with indigestion and also increases the metabolism. Take ginger powder, ghee, and jaggery. Mix them well and take it when you feel food cures any indigestion. You can also make small balls from this mixture and consume it after food.
- Ghee lamps helps to remove viruses and bacteria that is present in the house.
- Ghee helps for ear related problems. Take some ghee and warm it on low flame. Pour 2 -3 drops of this warm ghee in your ears regularly. Ghee helps in treating ear problems. So, use some sesame oil instead of ghee.
- Ghee reduces inflammation, skin redness, itchy skin and slows down the aging. Just massage a little amount of warm ghee on the affected joint. It helps to reduce the pain and swelling. This is because it gets easily absorbed by the skin and reaches the lower layers of skin. Ghee results in nourishing and has a painful cartilage by applying it 3 times in a day for better results.
- Ghee helps to get relieve from headache and migraines by taking a mild quantity of it every day.