Melasma happens to be a chronic skin problem which leads us to having symmetrical and blotchy pigmentation which look brown in color. It can lead you embarrassment and is quite a mental distress. This is at times referred to chloasma.
The skin condition is more common in women than in men. The ratio is about 1:5 between the sexes and this has been studied according the population we have.
Melasma can appear any time from 20-40 years of age, but the process can start off at an earlier age. Melasma is more common to people who have tanned or brown skin naturally.
Causes of melasma
Causes of this condition are pretty complex. The basic concept of pigmentation is when you have an excess of melanin content in your body. The pigment cells, known as melanocytes, are taken up by keratinocytes (epidermal melanosis) and it is deposited in the dermis.
There is a genetic predisposition which is why melasma is common if it’s in your family. For most people melasma is a chronic disorder.
Some common conditions to trigger melasma is
- Sun exposure/damage – this is the most common way to have melasma and can be avoided with precautions.
- Pregnancy – reason why this is more common is women are because the hormonal changes in pregnancy trigger melasma. The pigment might fade away after a few months from pregnancy.
- Hormonal treatments – contraceptive pills which have oestrogen or progesterone reacts to hormonal imbalance to 25% of the women who consume it. This too can lead to melasma.
- Medications – some medicines, soaps, deodorants, toiletries and cosmetics which have phototoxic reactions trigger melasma. These can even last longer!
- Hypothyroidism – this is known is the low level of circulating thyroid hormone, which can also react as melasma.
Melasma can also happen to healthy people. Lifelong sun exposure results in deposition of pigment within your dermis and that lasts long. With the increase in harm of the ultraviolet radiations, your pigmentation starts deepening.
This also activates melanocytes which in turn produce more melanin. Studies are trying to find out the roles of stem cells, vascular, neural and local hormonal factors which trigger melanocyte activation.
Till all this don’t get you some concrete to depend on, you can try out some continuous home remedies. These can be obtained from your kitchen right now and can start curing you too. Though they’ll be slightly more time consuming and repetitive, but they’ll give you lasting results.
Home remedies for melasma
Lemon juice is known to naturally lighten your skin. It comes with the goodness of astringent properties and the acidic nature removes the outer layer of one’s skin. This way you can eliminate the exterior layer of pigmentation and make your skin look clearer.
- Take a fresh lemon and extract the juice.
- Apply instantly and directly on the affected zone.
- Have it gently rubbed around for 1-2 minutes.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat twice daily and see results in a month.
Turmeric is a miraculous remedy for skin and it can reduce pigmentation for this case. It has active curcumin content which is the spicy and the antioxidant aspect for lightening and taste!
- Take 5 tablespoons of the powder and add 10 tablespoons of milk. If you opt for whole milk it will be more in calcium and lactic acid. This better the exfoliation process and subtle the skin down.
- Make smooth paste and then add 1 tablespoon of gram flour for thickening.
- Apply on the affected area and let it dry.
- Wash off with warm water and use clean towel to pat dry.
- Repeat once daily.
Onion juice and apple cider vinegar
This is another remedy for restoring natural skin tone. It has a great range of sulfur and that contains compounds which can fade dark circles and reduce discoloration.
Onion juice is also known to add nourishment to skin cells. Apple cider vinegar is another ingredient which quickly heals you from all types of skin marks!
- Chop 2-3 onion finely.
- Put them in cheesecloth to squeeze the juice out.
- Measure the juice and add equal amounts of apple cider vinegar.
- Take cotton balls and apply on the melasma patches.
- Let it soak in well, after which you can wash off.
- Follow twice daily for a couple of weeks.
Oatmeal works as a natural exfoliating agent which can swiftly have those brown spots removed from your face and kill the dead cells! It makes you look brighter and also lets your skin glow.
- Take 2 tablespoons of oatmeal powder and add 2 tablespoons of milk to it.
- Accompany 1 tablespoon of honey to make it more effective.
- Apply the paste on your face and wait for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off and rub with water.
- Pat face dry with neat towel.
- Repeat thrice a week for a month.
If you are looking for another skin-lightening ingredient which can enhance the complexion with ease, you should try sandalwood. Make sure you get premium quality to not worsen the condition. It reduces melasma according with acnes.
- Take equal parts of sandalwood powder and turmeric and add whole milk.
- Blend in lemon juice for making a thick paste.
- Apply paste on the skin and then allow it to dry.
- Splash water on your face for moistening and then apply the mask.
- Scrub it off in circular motions and then rinse with more water.
- Repeat remedy thrice a week, till you get desired results.