Peppermint oil includes menthone, menthol, and menthyl esters, which is why it has numerous benefits. It is anyway used in making numerous items like soap, shampoo, toothpastes, tea, ice cream, chewing gum, etc. But on the other hand, it has numerous health benefits too. Historically, the herb has been known for its medical properties and it has gained immense popularity since then. It has also been tagged as the ‘world’s oldest medicine’, which lets you believe the goodness it is sure to provide you.
[ Hindi version ]
Health benefits of peppermint oil
- Indigestion: it is a very helpful aid to indigestion. After a heavy meal, add few drops of the oil in a glass of water and drink it up. It is known to eliminate gas. On the contrary, it is known to act like a good tonic for low appetite. It treats loose motions, nausea, stomach upsets, etc. A minute research has blended peppermint and caraway oil and proved that it can cure heartburn!
- Dental care: there are antiseptic properties in peppermint oil and that eliminates bad breath. Help your teeth gums get healed and fight the germs. Peppermint oil has been added in numerous toothpastes. It is useful for toothaches and sometimes inhalation too.
- Nail care: there are anti-fungal properties in peppermint oil which can prevent out nails from fungal infections. They are also known to keep the nails healthier and prevent breakage.
- Headache: to get rid of headache all you need is some peppermint oil. Take the oil and get it diluted. Add to your forehead and massage well. This will not only eliminate the pain but also soothe the area.
- Stress: most essential oils, along with peppermint can relieve you from depression, stress and exhaustion. The oil refreshes you and helps you get rid of restless feelings. The oil is known to improve mental activities, as it clears your mind and makes you more focused.
- Respiratory problems: menthol help you clear out your respiratory problems. It is a useful expectorant which is why it provides instant relief. Some of the common issues you can get relieved from would include nasal congestion, sinusitis, bronchitis, asthma, cold and cough. So, if you get a cold, try and rub some peppermint oil on your chest. It will soothe the condition and relax your body.
- Pain relief: this oil can be used to get relieved from pain. Studies have proved that peppermint oil removes pain in affected areas. It also has cooling properties which can reduce fever. A lot of people refer it as refrigerant. It soothes affected area in cases of injuries and wound. Apply the oil for reducing swelling, pain and inflammation too.
- Immune system: you can improve your immunity and reduces possibilities of numerous diseases with peppermint oil. People with weak immunity suffer from illnesses. The powerful antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties are used any numerous treatments for sovling infections related to our immune system.
- Blood circulation: improve blood circulation with the presence of peppermint oil. Numerous studies have shown that the essential vapor touches our olfactory nerve end and that results in faster pulse rate. With this aid, it also prevents diabetic patients from complications.
- Hair care: peppermint oil is very useful for our hair care. If applied to the scalp, it gives us a cooling sensation and relieves us from dandruff. There are antiseptic and regenerative properties in this oil, which boosts hair growth and keeps the scalp irritant-free.
This is one of the most important essential oils that you will ever come across. Along with these benefits they also come with benefits for skin, benefit for curing urinary infection, etc. Purchase the rawest and purest form you can get and keep it handy for all these uses. If you come across bigger complications which cannot be solved at home, even you doctor’s medications would include peppermint oil and its benefits.
[ Hindi version ]
More health benefits
- Relief from muscle pain: peppermint oil works as a natural painkiller and relaxes our muscles. It is good for soothing aches in muscles and back. It has to be used like any other oil used for massaging.
- Migraine relief: Peppermint works like an amazing healer and gives instant relief for migraine problems.
- Sinus relief: if you inhale diffused peppermint oil you it will heal your nasal discomfort. Peppermint is an expectorant which can provide relief from cold, cough, asthma, sinusitis and bronchitis.
- Reduces hunger pangs: inhaling peppermint oil is known to reduce hunger pangs and make you feel full. If you don’t have a diffuser with you, you can apply two drops on your chest and temples after dinner.
- Shampoo ingredient: after having read about hair care, if you are looking for one of the best ways to make use of it for your hair, add 2-3 drops of it in your regular shampoo and conditioner. This will not just stimulate your scalp but also energize your mind.
- Relief from allergy: since peppermint oil is good in relaxing the muscles in your nose, it can clear out dirt and pollen during allergy seasons. You can mix it with clove oil and eucalyptus oil for improved outcome.
- Better concentration: peppermint oi happens to improve concentration level. Just spray some of it in your t-shirt or have a drop on it for better alertness.
- Reduces itchiness: if you have a tendency to form rashes you can simply add some peppermint oil and heal it. You could add lavender oil for better results.
- Reduces fever: people love the cooling effect of peppermint oil which is why they use the natural treatment to reduce fever. Add some peppermint oil to coconut oil and rub on your neck and the bottom of your feet. It stabilizes fever and is better than popping some antibiotics.
- Insect repellent: it also works like a natural repellent to keep away insects. You can easily fight spiders, cockroaches, mosquito, lice and mice with the oil.