Cranberries are the names given to small, red colour berries with round shape that grows in the Canadian nation or cooler portions of Europe. The plant is a dwarf, creeping shrub, or vine, which grows up to 20 cm. These berries are acidic in taste and can be refrigerated, dried or canned. Regular consumption of cranberries has several health and beauty benefits. They can be eaten and served in several ways.
Serving tips for cranberries
- Raw dried or fresh can be taken as a snack.
- Frozen cranberries can be added to fruit smoothies, fruit cocktails and sorbets.
- Dried cranberries add nourishment to the cereal or oats taken for breakfast.
- Fresh cranberry can be tossed in the cake, muffins, ice cream, pastry or bread.
- The berries are having a good application to prepare sauce, jams and jellies.
Cranberry, fruit is small and red berry, which grows more in the cooler parts of the Northern Hemisphere and are only harvested from October through December. They are loaded with antioxidants and many essential nutrients, the Latin name of cranberry is “Vaccinium Macrocarpon”, it helps a lot in both beauty and health related problems, let’s go through the benefits below,
Health benefits of cranberries
- It helps a lot in a hair growth and to get a dark hair, Mix a cup of pure cranberry juice with 1/4th cup of water. Use this as a final rinse after washing the hair.
- Vitamin C in cranberry juice is an essential nutrient to treat damaged hair and prevent a variety of hair disorders.
- In order to get rid of dandruff, psoriasis other scalp related problems, using it may yield good results, antiseptic and anti fungal properties of this juice helps a lot in preventing this.
- Its helps in strengthening teeth and bones and helps to keep away from kindly stones.
- It removes bacteria and fungus in the body and tries to keep away from infections.
- It helps to reduce urinary tract infections.
- Helps a lot in the Cardiovascular disease and keep you away from death.
- It fights with cancer cells and try to keep you away from cancer related problems.
- It helps to lower your blood pressure and keeps you away from heart related problems.
- Intake of three cups (750 ml) of cranberry juice cocktail a day increased the HDL cholesterol in their blood.
- Cranberries contain citric acid and other nutrients that can prevent kidney stones, and other kidney and bladder problems.
Some more health benefits of cranberry
Prevents urinary infections
Berries provide comfort to patients who suffer from continuous urinary tract infections (UTI). Cranberries contain superior level of proanthocyanidins which helps to minimize the attack of particular bacteria to the walls of urinary tracts. Cranberry has been used to treat UTI since ages.
It has been found that cranberry slows down the growth of tumors. It is also helpful to people suffering from cancers of the liver, prostate, colon and ovary.
Helps improve the health of the heart
The polyphenols present in cranberries can reduce the chances of developing heart diseases by preventing the accumulation of platelets
The proanthocyanidins can also promote the oral health of a person by stopping the growth of bacteria that leads to tooth decay. It also helps in preventing gum diseases.
Speeds weight loss
The powerful antioxidants present in cranberry helps to cleanse and system and boost metabolism. It helps in the process of digestion. This leads to faster loss of weight.
Cranberries contain an amino acid which increases the body’s production of serotonin that is related with the mental state of the mind.Cranberries are a good agent to lift the mood, and provide relief from anxiety. It helps in relieving stress as well. Some studies have revealed that this berry helps in improving the memory.
Strengthens immune system
The harmful toxins in the body are flushed out by the antioxidants in cranberry. This in turn strengthens the immune system. Anti-Aging antioxidants help the body to get rid of free radicals that are the main factors of the aging process.
Controlling sugar level
You can get a control over your sugar level if you can consume cranberries. People have the habit of consuming excessive sugar in their food whether they make tea or health drink. But, it is also important to control the sugar level adequately. Even the sugar is very harmful for your health. It is better to have less or no sugar. But, sweetness is also something that will matter all of us. This is the reason why you can replace sugar with cranberries.
Good flush out
The cranberries can prove to be a wonderful flush out especially when you are suffering the diseases like jaundice. This is the stage when you need to urinate much and flush out the yellow portion from your body. It is the time for you to have cranberries in good quantity so that getting the unnecessary fluids removed can become really easy.
Skin benefits of cranberries
- Antioxidants in this can help your skin to free from radicals and make your skin free from aging problem.
- Skin problems like acne, dermatitis, psoriasis and eczema can be healed with the use of cranberries.
- Results in a fresh and smooth skin by keeping psoriasis or have oily skin away.
- Cranberry oil will be used in products which in turn help to keep skin away from wrinkles.
- The anti-bacterial properties found in cranberries also makes them a good ingredient to use in facial cleansers, in pore cleansers and toners for acne-prone skin, and for use in body washes, scrubs and masks.
- Its helps to keep skin free from damage due to environmental factors.
Beauty benefits of cranberries
Cranberry firms the skin
Cranberry is a rich source of Vitamin C which helps in the production of an amino acid which is necessary for the production of collagen in the body. Lack of collagen leads to reduces the blood supply to the blood vessels under the skin which lead to the formation of wrinkles and fine lines.
Cranberry is a wonderful toner
Cranberries are particularly helpful for people with oily skin as they are oily by nature. The enzymes in these berries help to exfoliate dead skin cells and prevent sebum formation on skin. They can easily be used as toner by mixing cranberry juice and honey and applying it on the face. Leave it for 20 minutes before washing it with lukewarm water.
Keeps skin hydrated
Cranberry juice is a perfect agent to protect the skin from the harsh winter. Consumption of cranberries and application of it’s externally both help in making the skin soft and supple in the coldest season.
Cranberry has some antiseptic properties which help in treating boils and acne on the skin. The antioxidants in it are very effective in reducing the development of pimples and acne.
Lightens skin tone
A skin lightener mask can be made by mixing cranberry juice honey and orange peel powder. Apply the mask on the face and leave it to dry for 20 minutes before washing it off.
Stimulates hair growth
These berries are rich in vitamins A and C, which encourages the re-growth of healthy hair and prevent hair loss. It also helps in recovering the lost shine of the hair. Besides hair growth cranberry has the antifungal and anti-bacterial properties to prevent dandruff and other problems of the scalp. Cranberry juice can be consumed daily or applied locally on the scalp to cure this problem.
The signs of aging can be one of the reasons for not getting beautiful skin. The wrinkles and fine lines are not taking place over the faces of individuals now and then. There are many creams and moisturizers available in the market that is used to remove the wrinkles. But not all will be appropriate in this regard. Also there can be many side effects. But, if you get some natural way like fruits and vegetables can work well. The cranberries really do work well in removing the problem of wrinkles over the face and make you look fresh all the time.
Removes dry skin
The dry skin cans one of the problems that you have been facing for a long time. This is very well realized during winter. If you don’t drink enough water, this dry skin can take place due to lack of hydration. But, the benefit of water can really be replaced with the cranberries that have the juicy properties. You must try having it in all seasons even if you don’t have the habit of consuming water. This will really work well and remove dry skin.