Dandruff is a harmless condition that occurs when the scalp becomes dry or greasy.It produces white flakes of dead skin that appear in the hair and fall on the shoulders.
It is harmless but definitely embarrassing. Dandruff is one of the most terrific hair problems of individuals irrespective of their gender. If this becomes severe, people visit dermatologists for its cure and remedy.
There are different reasons for which dandruff can occur. Some of them include pollution, effect of bacteria over the scalp, inflammation, and improper food habits. But, if you can go ahead with some precautionary measures, getting dandruff free hair will be possible.
During winter season dandruff is seen maximum as the skin becomes dry and gives rise to flakes. Some people do not rely on natural remedies as those does not provide instant remedy, but if you can give it some time getting eradication of dandruff from the root will be possible.
You must have some patience to avail the natural remedy for dandruff.
Dandruff is not usually a threat to health but it can be embarrassing and unpleasant. White flakes of the skin continuously shed from the scalp or hair, this may be bit itching.
It is due to the rapid growth of dead skin on scalp. Skin cells grow and die fast for some people this leads to the cause of dandruff. Those who are having dry skin will commonly effect with dandruff.
Staying in overheated rooms and winter cold air are the common causes of itchy and flaking skin. The dandruff flakes formed on dry skin are not oily.
It’s not about how often you wash the hair instead it’s all about the type of skin that is present on scalp. Severity of dandruff varies from season, its condition will often worse in winter. If you are suffering from dandruff it’s better not to expose to extreme temperatures this can slightly reduce the risk of dandruff.
Seborrhoeic dermatitis is the name for itchy, scaly, red reaction in the scalp. It is said to be more severe form of dandruff. It can be itchier and even have chance of spreading to other parts of body like chest area, eyebrows and face.
There are lots of shampoos in the market to get relief from dandruff but treating with nice home remedies may protect your hair from loss and you can even stay out from side effects.
There are lots of shampoos in the market to get relief from dandruff but treating with nice home remedies may protect your hair from loss and you can even stay out from side effects. Follow the home remedies to get rid from dandruff naturally.
Home remedies for dandruff
There are lots of products in the market to treat dandruff but those are not effective. So follow the simple tips which are given below and get rid of dandruff soon. Here are some tips to help yo with the same
- Soak methi seeds over night. Grind them in the morning. Apply this particular paste on the scalp and leave it for around 30 minutes. Wash hair thoroughly being sure that you don’t leave any traces of methi on hair.
- Curd is effective and works like magic in removing dandruff. Use it on the scalp and leave it for 30 minutes and then wash your hair.
- Steam a beet-root with mineral water. Massage this boiled mineral water on the scalp and leave it overnight. Wash it off in the morning with warm water. Do it every night for best results.
- Take 2 Tbsp of gram flour and 1 Tbsp of curd, mix, then well and apply it on the scalp. Leave it in hair for 10 minutes and use the same mixture to rinse your hair. This will help get rid of dandruff quickly and effectively.
- Mixing apple cider vinegar with mineral water in equal proportion. Apply it on your scalp and leave it for about 1 hour and then rinse with warm water.
- Clean turmeric aids in reducing dandruff issues. Take a Tbsp of turmeric powder and mix it in 2 Tbsp of warm water. Use that water after shampoo.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel and rinse off after thirty minutes.
- Neem leaves: Though this tip is old but results are quick. Neem contains antiseptic, antibacterial, antibiotic and antifungal properties
Boil neem leaves and wash your hair with this water. Rub coconut oil and lemon juice mixture on your scalp and wash after 2 hours.
To remove out those white flakes – dandruff which is giving you some awkward moments in your life try these homemade remedies that works fast in treating the dandruff problem.
Dandruff home remedy #1 – Treat dandruff with lemon
To treat the stubborn dandruff one can easily take the help of lemon fruit. It vanishes the dandruff and its related problems like acne and itchy scalp.
But make sure you are not using concentrated lemon juice directly on your scalp, the citric acid present in the lemon may hurt your scalp. Use it with the addition of some other ingredients. Let us see how to do!
Squeeze a half lemon and dilute in the water, massage this solution on the scalp and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. After that wash off with normal water.
This simple remedy helps to wash the stickiness that is responsible for dandruff, and subsequently it holds off the formation of dandruff further.
Alternatively, remove the peels from four or five lemons and boil them along with one glass of water.
Let it come to room temperature and then apply on your scalp.
Leave it for about 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse off, this lemon concoction treatment works great on your dandruff scalp and helps to remove it out as soon as possible when it is practiced for two times in a week.
However you use the lemon, the open benefits are shiny, manageable and smooth hair.
Dandruff home remedy #2 – Apple cider vinegar treatment for dandruff
The taste enhancing culinary ingredient apple cider vinegar isn’t just adding taste your mouth, but also helps to cure the dandruff problem.
Take small amount of apple cider vinegar with your fingertips and massage on the scalp, leave for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse off with a mild shampoo. Apple cider vinegar swipes the dead and flaky cells, which are causing the dandruff and clogging the hair follicles.
Alternatively, mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to two tablespoons of water. Mix both of them and apply on your scalp. Leave it for an entire night and rinse off in the next day morning with a baby shampoo or anti-dandruff shampoo.
Dandruff home remedy #3 – Fight dandruff with egg
One bullet method you can try using to get rid of dandruff is applying whole egg. Take an egg in a bowl and beat it for a minute or two. Apply egg on the scalp and hair, leave it for an hour and then rinse off.
After trying this remedy for four to five times you will find your hair relieving from dandruff because egg helps to remove out the flaky parts on the scalp. Along with cleaning the scalp egg is known famous for its magic of shine on the hair.
Dandruff home remedy #4 with baking soda
Baking soda which is available in kitchen can also help you to get rid of dandruff. This reduces the overactive fungi that cause dandruff.
Just wet your hair and rub some baking soda onto scalp and rinse your hair after some time with water. Though the hair becomes dry but after that you will get observe nice results.
Dandruff home remedy #5 with olive oil
Apply lukewarm olive oil on your scalp before night and wash it with mild shampoo in the morning. This cures the dryness of scalp and acts as a natural moisturizer.
Dandruff home remedy #6 with herbs
Make a paste out of the tulsi and amla powder. Dab it on your scalp and leave it for half an hour. After that rinse off with lukewarm water and pat. The medical values of tulsi kicks off the dandruff in a mild way, try applying this pack for two times in a day to get the best benefits.
Cause of dandruff
Malassezia fungus is the cause of dandruff. It usually grows on the scalp and shed of the scalp skin. There are two types of dandruff, one cause due to the dryness of the scalp and the other occurs due to the production of excessive oil on the scalp. What is the cause of these two factors?
- Improper diet
- Stress and illness
- Infrequent or improper shampooing
- Irregular brushing of the hair
More home remedies to remove dandruff naturally
Home remedy #7 with White vinegar
You must have white vinegar at home which is usually transparent in color. This is a wonderful remedy for dandruff as it includes acetic acid which is wonderful to stop the growth of fungi and bacteria over the scalp of individuals. But there is a proper procedure of mixing it and applying it over your hair.
You need to mix a single part of white vinegar with three spoon of water. Now, with this particular solution, you need to rinse your hair.
Alternatively, you can also apply vinegar into your hair and then wrap it with the help of a cloth or a towel. You need to keep it overnight and wash your hair in the morning. This will help preventing dandruff from your scalp naturally.
Dandruff home remedy #8 with Indian Lilac
Many people are still unaware of the health benefits of Indian Lilac. Since it has both antiseptic as well as antibacterial properties, eradication of dandruff naturally is possible. You might also have other variety of hair problem such as hair fall, scalp acne, itchy scalp etc. This Indian Lilac also works efficiently in this regard.
First of all take four cups of water in a container and bring it to boil. Now, add a hand full of neem leave to the water. Wait till it boils and makes the water greenish in appearance. Now, cool and strain the solution. Store this solution well and use it twice in a week.
Dandruff home remedy #9 with Pepper and yogurt
Yogurt has variety of health benefits as it has friendly bacteria which help human being to get rid of variety of problems. Since the pepper is anti fungal, scaling on scalp can be eradicated due to this.
First of all take two spoons of black pepper seeds and grind it. Once it has become powder, add a cup of yogurt in it. Now, mix both the ingredients really well and apply it over your scalp.
You need to be really careful and apply it over your scalp avoiding the hairs. You need to keep this pack over your head for an hour and rinse it. Use a mild shampoo to remove it completely.
Dandruff home remedy #10 with Aloe vera
Since Aloe Vera has the natural fungicidal as well as bacterial properties, it has the properties of breaking down protein as well as the dead cell layer of your skin.
Since it helps in exfoliating your scalp, all the scaly and dead skin layers will be easily eradicated. If you don’t clean it at an initial stage, this scaly layer will give rise to severe dandruff condition of your skin.
You need to collect the aloe Vera gel from the leaves and apply it over your scalp. Now, keep it as it is for fifteen minutes time and then wash away with a mild shampoo. If you can do this on a regular basis, good result will be obtained.
Since ginger has anti inflammatory properties and potential to stimulate hair growth naturally, it is also very effective to maintain a proper blood circulation. The ingredients present in ginger helps in prevent dandruff completely.
First of all you need to peel ginger and grate them finely. Now use a thin cloth and take the grated ginger in it. Squeeze the cloth and get ginger juice. Now add sesame oil in it and make a mixture out of it. Apply the mixture over your scalp, leave it for some time and wash it with mild shampoo.
Causes of dandruff
- Shedding of dead skin cells is a normal process. As skin cells are continuously formed on the scalp. In case of dandruff the cells shed at a faster rate. Oil from the scalp causes the skin cells to clump together and appear as white flakes.
- Other causes of dandruff include dry skin , sensitivity to some hair oils or lotions and skin problems like psoriasis and eczema, growth of bacteria and fungus on the scalp, inflammatory skin conditions
- Overgrowth of yeast caused by stress, hormones, too much oil on the scalp, or problems with the immune system can also cause dandruff.
Few more ayurvedic home remedies for dandruff
- Neem or Indian lilac for dandruff The antifungal and antibacterial properties of neem, helps to cure dandruff and other hair problems like acne of the scalp. Itchy scalp and hair fall.A decoction needs to be prepared by boiling a handful of neem leaves in four cups of water. Cool and strain it store it in a bottle. This decoction can be used to rinse the hair twice or thrice a week.
- Coconut Oil for dandruff Coconut oil helps eliminate dandruff because of its antifungal properties. It also moisturizes dry scalp and gives relief from itching. Mix some lemon juice and coconut oil and rub it on the scalp for a few minutes. Wash the hair after 20 minutes.
- Dandruff home remedy with White Vinegar White vinegar is one of the best cures for dandruff. Vinegar has acetic acid that prevents growth of fungi on your scalp and relieves itching. Simply rinse the hair with ½ cup of vinegar mixed with 2 cups of water after shampooing the hair. Another option is massage the scalp with a mixture of two parts white vinegar, one part olive oil and three parts water. Rinse it off after 10 minutes, and shampoo the hair with a mild shampoo.
- Extra virgin Olive Oil Dryness of scalp can be cured with regular use of extra-virgin olive oil. Massage the head with warm extra virgin olive oil. Wrap the head with a warm towel. Leave it for 45 minutes and then condition the hair.
- Tea Tree Oil in controlling dandruff Tea tree oil has strong antifungal properties which help it to treat dandruff. Simply add a few drops of tea tree oil to your regular shampoo when you wash your hair. Tea tree oil can also be used by diluting it with olive oil or coconut oil.Apply it on the hair; leave it on for at least 30 minutes or overnight before washing.
- Dandruff control with aspirin the salicylic acid content in aspirin helps to control dandruff by exfoliating the scalp. Mix two crushed aspirins in a blob of shampoo and wash the hair with the mixture. Alternatively, crush three aspirins and dissolve the powder in one tablespoon of vinegar. Massage the mixture into the scalp. Leave it in for half an hour and then wash the hair thoroughly.Like aspirin, Listerine can also be used to treat dandruff due to its antifungal properties and alcohol content.
- Ginger The active components of ginger like volatile oils help prevent dandruff. Ginger stimulates hair growth and improves the circulation on the scalp. Squeeze grated ginger to extract ginger oil. Mix it with sesame oil and massage it on the scalp. Leave it for some time before shampooing. Ginger oil, when combined with natural oil like sesame, can be an excellent ingredient to cure dandruff and promote hair health.
- Henna The dried leaves of henna are extensively used in treating dandruff and many other hair conditions. It also reduces oiliness of the scalp and acts as a conditioner. This property of henna helps reduce dandruff. Mix henna powder, amla, tea powder, and lemon juice and apply it on the scalp. Leave it on for an hour before washing it off.
- Basil Leaves Basil leaves are one of the many natural ingredients that can cure dandruff. The extensive antibacterial and antifungal properties of basil leaves help treat dandruff and improve the strength of the scalp. Mix basil leaves with amla to make a smooth paste. Apply it to hair and leave it for half an hour and then rinse with fresh water.