The glamorous side of pregnancy is about looking beautiful and glowing. There are some less glamorous sides of pregnancy, which are completely normal yet embarrassing symptoms for the pregnant women to experience.
[ Hindi version ]
Embarrassing pregnancy symptoms
- The morning sickness – majority of pregnant women experience nausea in the first trimester caused by the increased hormone levels. Certain smells, foods, or fragrances bring about bouts of nausea. This condition can be minimized by sucking a hard candy, ice chips or lemon. Lemonade also works wonders during morning sickness in pregnancy.
- Unruly gas—it is quite embarrassing when a pregnant woman suddenly belches in between a serious discussion or meeting or passes gas in a crowded elevator. Gas is caused by high levels of progesterone in the body. Progesterone relaxes the muscles in the gastrointestinal tract and slows down digestion, and building up gas. This embarrassing situation can be avoided by eating small meals at frequent intervals and avoiding gas producing foods like beans, broccoli, cabbage and carbonated drinks.
- Unruly hormones—certain hormones during pregnancy can make the one feel annoyed, angry and aggravated. A pregnant woman must be prepared for the mood swings in the first trimester and then at the end of pregnancy. Though some women experience these mood swings all through the pregnancy period.
- Leaky bladder is another embarrassing situation that a pregnant woman experiences. Pregnancy and incontinence go together. Wetting happens because the uterus presses against the bladder making it difficult to control the urine. The best line of defense is to strengthen the bladder by doing pelvic muscle toning exercises and wearing a sanitary napkin.
- Hair in the wrong places, like tummy and face is caused by hormones during pregnancy. These are normal and temporary and need not be alarmed by it. But if one feels embarrassed they can be plucked, removed by waxing or depilatory creams. This should be done with care as the skin of the pregnant woman becomes very sensitive.
- Some women become sensitive to certain odors and create an aversion to certain food odor like that of sea food.
- There is a normal condition of discharge which is the natural way to protect the infections to travel to the uterus. These should not be washed with perfumed gel or soaps as this would spoil the balance of chemicals developing in the vagina. A panty liner can be used to avoid the embarrassing situation.
- Piles are pretty common during pregnancy and are caused by constipation. It begins with itching or discomfort and sometimes pain during bowel movement. The safest way to get rid of them is to drink more water and eat fiber rich foods which will help in softening the stools.
- Spots and pimples on the face are also common during the first trimester of pregnancy as a result of excess production of hormones. They should be overlooked as they are only temporary.
- Excess weight and awkward body make it embarrassing to be around the spouse leading to communication and intimacy issues. They can be taken as normal temporary issues and not considered serious.
- Top of Form Haemorrhoids commonly occur during the third trimester or during labor due to pushing act of the baby. These are swollen rectal veins which become itchy and painful. These are caused when the growing uterus puts pressure on the pelvic veins. There is no need to be alarmed for this as these swellings improve after the birth of the baby. A warm bath or a nice pack will help in reducing the swelling and discomfort.
- Swelling or edema during pregnancy is caused by extra blood and fluid. Swelling is normally noticed on hands, face, ankles, legs and feet during the third trimester of pregnancy. The best method to get relief from this swelling is to rest with legs elevated. One should not keep standing for a very long time or wear heels at any time during pregnancy. Swelling requires a regular check-up as it is a warning sign for pre-eclampsia. Walking is a good exercise for swollen feet.
- Forgetfulness is very common during pregnancy, which is caused by hormonal changes. Again, there is nothing to be alarmed about it as it is a temporary phase. The best way to avoid this embarrassing situation is to write down things on a daily calendar.
- Constipation – Constipation during pregnancy is the most commonly seen. This is because of pregnancy hormones slow your digestive tract to a crawl. As there are more chances which can throw off your digestion as early as eight weeks. Your growing baby also starts crowding your bowels, making it harder to process even tiny meals.
- Nausea and vomiting – Most of the women experience some degree of nausea, some expectant moms feel queasy around the clock. It is still out on what exactly causes morning sickness, but experts believe that it’s linked to soaring levels of pregnancy hormone. It is most specifically estrogen and progesterone that hit you hard in the first trimester.
- Itchy nipples – Your breasts and nipples are enlarged in preparation for breastfeeding. As your breasts grow, the sensitive skin in this area stretches, which can trigger a persistent itch. Use a cocoa butter or Vitamin E body lotion after showering keeps your skin supple and prevent itching. It is better to avoid wearing potentially irritating fabrics such as wool or cashmere blends. Be comforted in soft cotton bras or camisoles with built in support.
- Sharp Groin pain – The sharp groin pain tends to start up mid pregnancy, when the round ligaments in your pelvis stretch to accommodate your growing baby. During pregnancy, you may feel that you stand up suddenly or they may hit after a long day of being on your feet. The weight of your baby’s head pressing down on your pubic bone can also cause groin aches.
- Decrease in sex drive – During pregnancy sex has dropped a few notches on your to do list. The fatigue and nausea common in early pregnancy can derail anyone’s sex drive with an aching back and large baby bump that can put a damper on getting in the mood. Sex could hurt you or the baby may give you pause before jumping into bed too.
- Leaking breasts – Leaky breasts are another important sign that you are pregnant. This is due to high levels of prolactin, which the hormone that preps your breasts for nursing. At the end of pregnancy sometimes cause fluid to leak from your nipples when they’re stimulated. So, there should be changing in your clothes, having sex are enough to trigger sudden nipple secretions.
[ Hindi version ]
Subscribe to Blog via Email