Lips are the most sensitive part of the body. The lips are covered with a thin layer of skin with no oil glands. They become dry and chapped very soon and become unhealthy, especially during the winter season.
They are prone to bacterial infections. It is necessary to follow a regular beauty regime to keep the lips healthy and prevent them from getting dry and chapped.
People having dry and cracked lips forms a common part of society. Due to the dry weather, the skin of your lips will tend to reduce its moisture.
This is the time to provide an extra care to your lips which will help in bringing back the moisture in a natural way.
You can find a different type of lip balm available in the market that deems to reduce dry and cracked lips. Also the medicated brands are available to suite the necessity of different people.
Some people disliked the terrific scent of many of the products that assures to repair the cracked lips. It is important to check the ingredients used in making the product. It is better to avail organic ingredient in treating cracked lips.
Causes of dry and chapped lips
The main causes that lead to dry and chapped lips are dehydration, improper lip care, allergy to certain foods or medicine and exposure to extreme hot and cold temperature.
Symptoms of dry and chapped include cracks, swelling, dryness, bleeding and flaky texture of the skin.
Naturally obtained oils used for the dry and cracked lips
It is now possible to find variety of natural oils available at home which can easily treat your dry and cracked lips. Olive oil is one among such oil which is used by many women to make the diet healthy and cholesterol free.
Now, this oil can also be used in creating your dry and cracked lips. It is one of the excellent moisturizers available at your home for removing roughness and leaves your lips lovable.
Benefits of olive oil in protecting lips
Just the olive oil will be an appropriate way of conditioning your lips. Your lips would hardly dry out due to the weather condition.
Even if you are out for a holiday where the weather condition is not balanced, olive oil will be a wonderful ingredient to protect your lips without causing any type of damage to your lips.
It is good to apply it little at night before going to sleep. In the morning, you will be able to get supple and beautiful lips.
Oil for lip scrub
If you can see excess of dead skin on your lips, the best way is to apply a natural scrub. For this also you would require the olive oil.
You need to combine sugar and olive oil and make a perfect thick mixture. Take a small portion of the scrub and apply this on your lips and slowly rub it to remove the dead skin layer. Your lips will then become very smooth by removal of dead skin layers.
For years, people have been using the coconut oil for nourishing hair and skin. Now, this can also prove to be a natural moisturizer for your lips. If your lips crack and blood comes out, it can be due to extreme dryness.
Instead of licking your lips, you can apply coconut oil on your lips and feel the difference. This is very easy to apply. Just take a drop of coconut oil and apply it directly on your lips.
You can easily get castor oil at home or in market like coconut oil and olive oil. You need to mix a teaspoon of castor oil, few drops of fresh lemon juice and one teaspoon of glycerin. Mix it well and apply on your lips. Remove it with lukewarm water after keeping for 10 minutes.
Oils to treat cracked lips
The most important part of keeping the lips free from being chapped and dry is to keep the lips lubricated and moist throughout the day. Besides coconut oil and castor oil there are several other oils that can be used to cure chapped and dry lips.
- Some essential oils can be used to heal chapped lips that become sore and painful. A mixture of half cup aloe Vera oil with one drop each of chamomile oil, enrol oil and two drops each of rose oil and geranium oil can be used on chapped lips to get relief from the pain and discomfort of dry chapped lips.
- Jojoba oil is one of the best nourishing oils that can give instant relief from chapped lips. It helps in nourishing the skin cells and in reviving the lost moisture from the lips. Simply apply few drops of jojoba oil on the lips and leave it for about 15 minutes.
- Sesame oil is rich in vitamin skin which plays a vital role in protecting the skin from several problems. It is also found to be helpful in curing dry cracked lips.
- Almond oil is loaded with protein, l minerals and healthy fats that help to retain the moisture of the lips and prevent them from getting dry and chapped. It prevents the lips from sun damage and helps to keep them soft and healthy. Simply apply few drops of almond oil on the lips four to five times a day.
- Rosehip seed oil is usually considered an essential oil that helps in producing elastin and collagen which are essential in the process delaying the development of the premature signs of aging.
- Combine two drops of rosehip seed oil with one spoon of coconut oil or olive oil or any other carrier oil and apply it on the lips four times a day. Application of these oil dry lips prevents the lips from getting dry and in producing new skin on the lips. The damage of the sun’s rays on the lips is also prevented by applying rosehip seed oil.
- Mustard oil or ghee on navel– An age old Ayurveda practice in India for chapped lips is to apply mustard oil or clarified ghee on the navel which is the only source of nourishment to the unborn baby.
- Mustard oil is highly rich in Omega Alpha – 3 and 6 fatty acids, antioxidants and vitamin E. These contents of mustard oil make it a perfect moisturizing agent for chapped and dry lips. Just put some mustard oil on the navel before going to bed or during the day after a bath. The properties of mustard oil will enter the body from the navel and soon the lips will become soft.
- Homemade lotion for chapped lips Mix about fifteen drops of Frankincense oil, Lavender oil with one teaspoon of coconut oil and store in a roller bottle. Use this mixture on chapped and dry lips.
Tips to avoid and cure chapped lips
- Dehydration is the main cause of dry lips, hence must drink enough water to keep the body hydrated which will hydrate the lips as well.
- Vitamin A deficiencies also cause dry chapped lips. Foods rich in vitamin A like leafy vegetables, tomatoes, legumes etc. must be added to the daily diet.
- Lipstick should not be left overnight. If possible one must use a moisture based lipstick in order to prevent the lips from getting dry.
- The habit of licking lips must be avoided as wetting the lips with saliva makes the lips dry and chapped.