Both Ketone and paleo are the very popular diet of the 21st century. however, people are unaware of the difference between them. We don’t know which one is more effective and is beneficial for our health.
Basic differences between keto and paleo diet
- The paleo diet does not focus on the Ketone level whereas the ketogenic diet focuses on increasing the Ketone level by making differences in food choices so that you enter nutritional ketosis metabolic state.
- The ketogenic diet does not solely focus on consuming high-quality food whereas the paleo diet does. The paleo diet AIMS at choosing food items which are very nutritive and are free from any toxins.
- Even though the ketogenic diet focuses on including a very less amount of carbohydrate in the diet, the paleo diet includes an even lesser amount of carbohydrate compared to the ketogenic diet.
- Compared to the paleo diet, the ketogenic diet focuses mainly on increasing the amount of fat consumed.
This was a very brief description of the differences between the both, to know more please continue reading!
Which is better? Keto diet or paleo diet?
Well, if you are still here, you are surely confused about which one is the best and which one to choose. Do not worry as we will cover that below.
We have already mentioned about the differences between both the diet plan briefly and now we will discuss the differences in detail.
The main aim of a keto diet is to increase the ketone level in order to reach nutritional ketosis. However, if you are someone who is hearing the word ‘ketosis’ then this might be bit confusing and to help you out of this situation, we are here.
What are ketones?
Ketones are produced by our body when the level of glucose present in our body is lesser than the amount needed to fuel our body. For instance, most of us have the same level of ketone when we wake compared to the amount of ketone the night before after having dinner.
What is the need to produce ketone?
Our body needs Ketones when the amount of carbohydrate or glucose is less in our body. It is very common that when the food is tasty we tend to consume more and as a result, we end up storing more fat in our body. And when on normal days we consume less our body breaks down the fat stored for producing ketone which in turn is used by our body to run our brain and body.
But as we have enough food these days, why should we care about ketosis?
Benefits of ketosis
- Helps in lowering high blood pressure.
- Accelerates weight loss.
- Stabilizes blood sugar level.
- Helps in focusing more
- Improves cholesterol level
- Has high potential to prevent or heal cancer and other neurological diseases.
The main aim of the paleo diet is to consume high-quality food items in order to maximize the number of nutrients present in the body and at the same time focuses on minimising chemical and toxic exposure.
This diet is based on the food habit of ancient people, therefore, it is often known as “the caveman diet”.
Why choose the paleo diet?
- When one consumes hydrogenated vegetable oil, chances of getting diseases like cardiovascular and Alzheimer increases as the oil contains trans-fats.
- Other grains which contains similar kind of proteins may cause similar problems.
- Beans, even when they are cooked properly can result in digestive issues and they also contain anti-nutrients which will decrease the number of nutrients that you get after having your meal.
- Consuming soybean may result in various hormonal shifts.
This is why what you consume matters. Where there are some foods which fill the body with nutrients and vitamins, others cause inflammation.
Though Keto and Paleo, both contain less carbohydrate – ketogenic diet contains fewer carbohydrate compared to the paleo diet and as a result, it helps people to reach the ketosis quickly and easily.
Paleo foods which contain high carbs
There are some paleo food items which are not considered to be keto as the level of carbohydrate in them is more than the standard amount. Having these food items on a regular basis will result in the increase in blood sugar level which in turn will lower the ketone level.
Food items which should be avoided are listed below:
- Starchy vegetables like yams, pumpkins, carrots and squash.
- Sweet potatoes.
- Sugary fruits like bananas, peaches, grapes and pineapples.
- paleo approved sweeteners like honey, coconut sugar, maple syrup and dried fruits.
It is often noticed that people following paleo diet end up having a lot of carbohydrates especially if they are fond of eating sweet but that does not mean that it is compulsory to consume a lot of carbohydrates while following a paleo diet.
However, before keto diet gained popularity, many people followed a paleo diet which was quite similar to the ketogenic diet. It helped them in losing weight and also improved their mental focus.
Carbs are not bad for us
Carbohydrates acts as a very useful fuel to run our body. However, consuming carbohydrate regularly for a long period of time can lead to various problems such as:
- Chronic inflammation
- Weight gain
- Blood sugar problems
Also, it might sound that keto and Atkins are similar, they are not. Atkins focuses on limiting carb intake but not on the quality of food consumed whereas keto diet focuses on the quality of food consumed also.
Though both the diet plan focuses on consuming healthy fat, people following ketogenic diet consume more fat.
Folks following the paleo diet eat healthy fat in form of coconut oil, ghee, duck fat and avocado oil. According to many paleo experts, people must not be afraid of consuming fat on a regular basis. However, if you are following a ketogenic diet you should avoid eating ghee and coconut oil. People following a ketogenic diet are encouraged to eat fattier cuts of meat.
Paleo vs Keto – Which is better?
Now that you know the key differences between the two diet plans, it’s time for you to understand which is better.
- If you are back from a holiday and you wish to lose some weight then go on the ketogenic diet.
- If you are struggling with your sweet tooth and want to get rid of your random cravings the ketogenic diet is the best for you.
- If you are someone who wants to switch to a Healthy lifestyle in general and is looking for easy guidelines to follow then go on the paleo diet.
- If you cannot stick to a particular meal plan or looking for a flexible weight loss diet plan then you should follow the paleo diet.
- If you are someone who wants to increase your energy level by balancing your blood sugar level go for the keto diet.
- If you are someone who looking for weight loss plans to get rid of existing health problem then the paleo diet is the one.
So now that you know when to follow which diet choose the one which you think will suit your needs. Also, remember that you should follow a diet if you can stick to for a longer period of time.