So, after spending lot of time standing in front of the mirror for deciding if you should pop that big pimple on your face or not you have finally reached the decision that you love, to pop it up.
You might have plenty of past experiences of popping up pimples but has it really helped you? Or has just exaggerated the problem? You might have a mixed experience in this regard.
However, before you pop a pimple there are plenty of things you should be aware of. Here are some of the most important things, including how to get rid of a pimple instantly without popping it, that you should know before popping a pimple.
The risks involved in popping a pimple
Before you pop a pimple, the first things you need to know are the risks involved in popping pimples. So read on,
- When you are popping a pimple, there is maximum chance of pushing the gunk along with the bacteria contained in the pimple even deeper into the skin. By all your pushing and pricking, the infected pus can easily get deeper into the follicle and if the follicle is ruptured the gunk will be released into the dermis, the inner layer of the skin. This can give rise to more severe acne cysts or nodules.
- When you pop a pimple, the infected pus along with the bacteria is drained from it. There is maximum chance of this infected gunk to come in contact with the surrounding skin. It can instantly infect the other healthy pores in the area causing more pimple breakouts.
- By touching the pimple with your uncleaned hands you increase the chance of further bacterial infection on the pimple as well as on the surrounding area of the skin, thus increasing the severity of the pimple.
- Popping a pimple can damage the skin of the area seriously, which can leave a bad scar and even the permanent ones.
So, now as you know the exact risks involved in popping a pimple, you should take your decision wisely. We will now move to the other things that you need to know before popping a pimple.
Your pimple will be healed on its own
This is the biggest fact. If you just let the pimple run its course, it will heal automatically within 3-7 days. So, according to the skin specialists, if you have a pimple, just leave it alone.
You can treat a pimple topically without popping it
Yes. You can easily treat a pimple on your skin through some easy topical treatments and it will reduce in a day. There are also harmless overnight treatments that can be of best help to heal your pimple quickly. Here are some of the quick treatments to treat a pimple without popping it,
Use tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is an active antibacterial agent. You can use tea tree oil topically on a pimple overnight to reduce it considerably. You should dilute the oil with water before application. Opt for spot treatment only and let it work overnight, before washing off in the morning.
5% benzoyl peroxide is effective
To dry out a pimple, without popping it, 5% benzoyl peroxide can be highly effective. You can get these creams from the local medicine shop without a prescription. Apply the cream topically on the pimple before going to bed at night and by the morning your pimple will be reduced considerably.
Onion for quick pimple cure
If your skin is not very sensitive, you can also opt for treating the pimple overnight with onion juice. Onion has high Sulphur content which kills the infection causing bacteria in the pimple. Prepare some fresh onion juice and apply it topically on the pimple. Leave it on and wash off after hours.
Neem leaf for treating pimples
Another effective and completely herbal way of treating pimple overnight is to use a paste made from neem leaves. Soak some fresh and young neem leaves in water and then smash them to make a paste. Apply this paste onto the pimple and the surrounding skin. Leave on overnight. The pimple will reduce considerably by the morning.
Taking the help of professionals is always best
If you have to absolutely pop a pimple, the best option is to get help from a professional. Professionals will not only use the right technique for removing the gunk from a pimple but they will also make sure that the infection is not spread to the nearby area in anyway. Professional help in this regard might not come for free, but it is surely worth the money.
There are other safer methods of removing the pus from a pimple
If you think that there are no other way than popping the pimple, to drain the pus from it, you are not well informed. You can use any of the below mentioned methods to remove the pus from a pimple safely, without popping it.
Compress the pimple
Compressing the pimple with hot saline water can be highly effective to remove the pus from a pimple, safely. Compressing with hot saline water helps in opening up the pore, which pushes the gunk within it more towards the surface of the skin. Here is how you can do it.
- First of all make sure that the pimple is matured enough to be drained. You can also compress a pimple repeatedly with hot saline water to mature it quickly. However, in that case just compress the pimple from the sides but do not push or prick it in anyway.
- Boil some water and add excess table salt to it. Soak a fresh cotton ball in this hot saline water and compress the pimple gently from all the sides, but do not touch the tip. Continue the compressing for 10-15 minutes. If the pimple is matured enough, the pus in it will start to ooze out. If the pimple is not yet matured sufficiently, compress it repeatedly and wait until it is matured.
- Once the pus starts oozing out from the pimple, press the pimple gently from the sides in an outward motion, so that the gunk is not pushed in. Use hot water soaked cotton balls to press the pimple gently from sides. Remove the pus coming out from the pimple with fresh cotton.
- After the pus has been drained completely, apply an antibiotic ointment on the pimple. This will help in drying out the pimple quickly and will also stop the spread of infection.
Pierce the pimple
To drain the pus from a pimple, apart from compressing it with hot water you can also opt to pierce it safely. Piercing a pimple in the proper way is much safer than popping it with force. Read on to know how to pierce a pimple safely to remove the pus.
- Wait for the pimple to get matured fully. You should not try piercing a pimple that is not fully matured. A matured pimple will have a clear, whitehead. To make a pimple mature quickly you can compress it with hot saline water repeatedly, but do not use any pressure on it.
- Clean the pimple as well as the nearby area with an anti-pimple cleanser, disinfectant or antibacterial sanitizer.
- Wash your hands and apply disinfectant to your hands and fingers. Take special care to clean your fingernails.
- Take a new needle and heat it up under a steady flame. Let the needle cool down and wipe it with alcohol.
- Hold the needle close to the pimple, parallel to your skin. Pierce the very tip of the pimple with the needle from one side to another. Do not poke the needle deep and pierce only the very tip of it. After piercing remove the needle.
- Now press the pimple gently from the sides with your fingers. Do not press the pimple from the top and do not apply a lot of force. The pus will start coming out easily.
- Remove the puss with warm saline water soaked cotton balls, without smearing the pus in the nearby area.
- After the pus has been removed, apply a benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin ointment on the spot. It will help in healing the pimple quickly and will also stop the spread of infection in the nearby area.
This is one of the safest ways to treat a pus filled pimple instantly without popping it up.
You can cover a pimple easily with makeup
If you are planning to pop a pimple only because you are going out on a special occasion and you want to get rid of that pimple quickly then think again. You can easily and efficiently cover a pimple on your face with the right makeup. According to the professional makeup artists to hide a pimple you need not to lather product on the pimple, all you need to do is to hide the redness of the pimple and it will not show any more on your skin like a blemish. Your objective should be to smooth out the complexion of the skin around the pimple, instead of covering it by putting makeup at the top, which will only make it more prominent.
You can easily control future breakouts of pimples
Controlling pimple breakouts is not a mammoth task. Proper care of your skin, the right hygiene and food habit can be most effective to keep future breakouts in check. Use regular cleansing, toning and moisturizing routine for your skin. Also do not miss to scrub your skin at least twice a week with a proper scrubber. If your skin is prone to acne, opt for anti-acne products that contain chemicals like salicylic acid or herbal ingredients like neem or tea tree oil.
Use good quality makeup that does not clog the skin pores and are suitable for your particular skin type. Keep your head free from dandruff and do not share your towel, pillow or makeup with others. A healthy diet, less in oil and full with fresh leafy vegetables and fruits can also be of great help.