Pimples or acne are always annoying but when they appear around the lips they become actually challenging to deal with. The area around the lips and mouth is very sensitive and pimples on this area can be very painful stopping you not only from attending parties but also from having your favorite foods properly. They also leave nasty marks that take ages to go.
Pimples or acne around the lips are usually caused due to either of the two reasons. In 90% of cases it is caused due to a skin care or makeup product or toothpaste that irritates the skin and in other cases it is hormonal or stress related. While treating the pimples around lips caused due to the use of a product is easy; when it is caused due to hormonal reasons, seeking for medical assistance might be the most effective way to get rid of the condition quickly.
So, if you have certainly started to get pimples around the lips, the first step you need to take is to stop using the skincare/makeup products you are using on your face and particularly around your lips. Lip balms and lip glosses are often the main culprit behind pimple/acne breakouts near the lips. Changing your skin care regimen and switching to a herbal toothpaste are the other points that can make a quick difference. Pimples/acne around the mouth is preventable in 90% cases, and here are some quick tips on how you can prevent them from occurring,
- Keep your skin clean and the pores unclogged. You can follow a regular Cleansing-Toning-Moisturizing routine twice a day along with skin exfoliation twice a week to ensure that there is no skin debris or dirt that can clog the pores.
- One of the most effective ways of controlling pimples around the lips is to settle for a simple skin care regimen that includes no cosmetic products. You can use herbal, homemade products lavishly on your skin instead.However always keep in mind that making your skin care routine complicated is never the right way to go.
- Using cheap makeup products, like lip glosses, lipsticks, lip balms or even foundation or compact can trigger the pimple/acne breakouts around the lips. Often the condition is triggered due to use of makeups that have expired. So, before you use a product near your lips, be sure about its expiry date.
- Another reason that often causes pimple/acne breakouts around the mouth is not removing the makeup properly from your face even after getting back home. If you are someone who goes to sleep with your makeup on, remember that you are doing a crime against your skin and your skin might actually not be efficient to take up that torture. So, always make it a point to remove all your makeup with maximum care as soon as you get back home. This can prevent acne/pimple breakouts around the lips to a great extent.
- Do not use toothpaste that can cause allergy on your skin. It is best to opt for hypoallergenic toothpaste and also take care that while brushing, the toothpaste should come only in minimum contact of your lips.
- Always make it a point to wash your lips and around the mouth area properly with water after you have consumed any food. This will ensure the maximum cleanliness of the area.
So, now as the ways to prevent pimple/acne breakouts around the lips is clear to all of us, let us get into how to treat and get rid of these painful pimples quickly after they have appeared. You can follow any of the below mentioned home treatments along with the preventive measures noted above to get the best results.
Sandalwood and rose water for getting rid of pimples/acne around lips
Sandalwood is actually good for your skin and sandalwood paste made with rose water can provide much relief from the pimples/acne around the lips. Make sufficient sandalwood paste by rubbing the sandalwood stick on the sandstone and instead of using plain water use rose water to make the paste. You can use this paste for spot treating the pimples around the lips. Remove with water only when the paste gets completely dry.
Aloe vera gel for quick relief from around the lips pimples/acne
Aloe Vera has extreme skin nourishing properties and it can actually soothe the skin while controlling the inflammation and the redness of the pimples. Do not use the Aloe Vera Gel available in the market. For spot-treating the pimples around your lips you will need only a minimum amount of Aloe Vera gel that you can easily collect from fresh Aloe Vera leaves. Cover the pimples with the Aloe Vera gel and leave on. You can wash it off after your skin starts to feel stretchy.
Egg yolk for treating pimples around the lips
The yolk of an egg can be an effective and safe remedy for treating the pimples/acne around the lips quickly. Egg yolk has high vitamin A content which can boost the natural repairing mechanism of the skin and can also be effective to unclog the pores. Take the yolk of an egg and use it for spot treatment on the pimples/acne around the lips. Let it set for 30 minutes or more and then wash off with water.
Unripe kiwi and yogurt treatment pack for pimples/acne around the lips
Unripe kiwi has high salicylic acid content which can be effective to treat pimples around the lips. Yogurt has lactic acid which can also trigger the natural skin exfoliation process helping in getting rid of the pimples quickly. Take half of an unripe kiwi and make a paste with it. Mix it with yogurt in 2:1 proportion and apply to the affected skin. Let it set for 20-30 minutes and then remove with water.
Tomato treatment for pimples/acne around the lips
Tomato can be a completely safe and highly effective treatment for getting rid of the pimples around the lips. Tomatoes have antioxidant qualities and they are mildly acidic in nature which can help in tightening the skin pores. Tomatoes are also rich in Vitamin A and C both of which often make an important ingredient in the acne-treating medications. To use tomato on your pimples around the lips, take a tomato, smash it into a smooth paste and cover the affected area of the skin with the paste. Leave on for 30 minutes or more and then wash off with water.
Control the discomfort of pimples around the lips with ice
If the discomfort caused due to the pimples/acne around your lips has become really irritating, all it needs to calm down is a touch of ice. Take an ice cube in a soft cotton cloth and compress the area around the pimples lightly with the ice for 5-10 minutes. You will see quick reduction in the pain, as well as in the swelling and redness of the pimples.
Diluted tea tree oil can be effective to get rid of the acne around the lips
Tea tree oil has excellent anti-bacterial properties and it is a well-known natural remedy for treating pimples and acne. When you are using tea tree oil in the area surrounding your lips, you actually need to be cautious about the dilution, because the skin of the area around the lips is actually very sensitive. Mix only 1 drop of tea tree oil with 1 spoon of pure water, soak a cotton ball in it and spot-apply on the pimples. Wash off after 20 minutes. In case there is any irritation, you should wash it off with plenty of water immediately.
Soothe the pimples around the lips with cucumber and honey
Another effective treatment for pimples around the lips is to use a pack made of cucumber and honey. While honey can moisturize the skin and kill the infection causing bacteria, cucumber will soothe the skin and reduce the inflammation and redness of the pimples. Grate some cucumber, squeeze out the juice and mix it with 1 spoon of honey in 1:1 proportion. Apply this mixture on the affected area of the skin, let it set for 15-20 minutes and then wash off.
Some important tips for getting rid of pimples/acne around the lips fast
- When you are experiencing a breakout of pimples/acne around your lips, it is essential to cover the affected part of your skin properly from sun-exposure. Using a physical cover, like a hat or umbrella along with a non-oily sunscreen can be most effective.
- Do not touch or pop the pimples. Popping them will only worsen the condition and can leave permanent scar. Always wash your hands thoroughly before you touch your face.
- Get a separate towel for your face and wash it regularly. Dipping the towel in antiseptic liquids and drying it out under the sun before using can be the best way to keep any further infection away. Also take the same measures with your pillow towel.