Asthma is painful respiratory condition which causes difficulty in breathing. It is mostly linked to allergic reactions and other types of sensitivities. Though there are no foods which can cure asthma, there are foods which can control the condition and let you feel healthier. Though everybody has separate reactions due to edible items, there is a simple guideline which can help you control the condition of asthma.
[ Hindi version ]
Best foods to control asthma
- Apples: apples should be on top of your list. It should be a fruit which you consume every day. In an international study, it was researched that people who eat around 2-5 apples every weak have around 32% lesser chances to get asthma attacks, than the ones who eat less. Having lesser than that will not leave an important impact on you. It is supposed to work due to the flavonoid content.
- Muskmelon: this fruit has rich amounts of vitamin C which are potent antioxidants. They ward away lung damages due to fighting the free radicals. A study was done on preschool kids in Japan, and they found that the kids who consumed more amount of vitamin C have lower possibilities to suffer from asthma. Vitamin C is quite a common antioxidant present in almost all fruits and green veggies. Some more to name here would include grapes, broccoli, tomatoes, oranges, etc.
- Carrots: carrots include beta-carotene which is yet another powerful antioxidant. Primary studies had discovered that beta-carotene converts into vitamin A when it reaches our body, and that reduces asthma attacks. Later, it was known to be essential to keep your eyes and immune system in better shape. You are also prevented from heart hazards, Alzheimer and cancer. Try and consume foods which include beta-carotene through fruits and veggies like apricots, sweet potatoes, green peppers and of course carrots.
- Coffee: caffeine causes are almost all the times in the news, but surprisingly, it is something which can control asthma attacks! In a particular research caffeinated coffee was found to improve airway function for around 4 hours after consumption. This is equally beneficially if you have black tea, so you can choose either of them.
- Flax seeds: these are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and magnesium. Omega 3 is also known to be present in oily fishes and salmons. These are good to control asthma and reduce possibility of frequent attacks. On the other hand, magnesium relaxes muscles around our bronchi. This also reduces asthma attacks since obstructing the bronchi can lead to it.
- Garlic: garlic is one of the most used seasoning in Indian culinary recipes. Did you know that it has anti-inflammatory properties which make it a healthy ingredient? Through the folklores, we have come to know that the importance of garlic is on top of our list. It has remedies for conditions like hemorrhoids to viral infections.Garlic also includes allicin which is an antioxidant. It not only fights the free radicals but also helps you prevent asthma attacks.
- Olive oil: drip some extra-virgin olive oil on your regular salad and help yourself control the condition of asthma. Olive oil is related to lowering risks of asthma due it its anti-inflammatory properties. Using it for frying or baking are going to reduce the nutritional benefits, so switch over to some other edible item if you cannot have it on salad dressing or as dips.
- Avocado: this includes an important antioxidant known as Experts hail their healing properties from all over the world. They have an amazing power to protect the cells from damaging. On the other hand, this is known to have high monounsaturated fat which keeps your cholesterol level low!
Asthma happens to be a really tough condition to deal with. It is a recurring process with no definite cure. It is also important to keep in mind, that there are few food items which are not recommended to be consumed if you go through this condition. Peanuts, excess salt, shellfish, etc. are some items on the elimination list. Make the necessary changes in your diet to breathe and live healthier!
[ Hindi version ]
Tips to prevent and control asthma
- Use pillows and mattresses which are allergy proof
- Wash your bedding material every week in hot water.
- The temperature of the water should be over 130 degrees F.
- This reduces possibilities of dust mites.
- Use dehumidified for reducing moisture.
- Don’t let pets get into bedroom
- If you have pets are home, then you’d know about pet dander. Those tiny, microscopic, flecks of skin shed can trigger asthma.
- Make sure that it keeps away from bedrooms.
- You should also make sure to have each and every corner cleaned regularly.
- Remove old cloth or toys from bedrooms
- If you have cloth material which cannot be changed every now-and-then, for instance carpeted floor, you should have it cleaned once a week.
- Get rid of old toys and materials which are unused. They tend to create more dust and make the area polluted.
- Leaky faucets
- Mold is common cause to enhance asthma attacks! To reduce molds at home you have to keep your bathroom clean.
- Remove household plants and put them in the terrace or garden.
- Use bathroom fans and keep every corner dry.
- Don’t use harsh chemical products
- Fumes created with household cleaners arouse asthma problem.
- You need to avoid those and have it done by someone else.
- Inhaling fumes could lead to severe trouble. Try to not get any of that at home at all.
- Keep calm
- Asthma attacks can be triggered due to taking excess stress.
- You need to make out ways to relax.
- Try yoga and meditation to keep your mind cool.
- Try to make sure that the air quality you dwell in is healthy all the time.
- Try to stay away from dust and dirt.
- Try and exercise indoors and know which exercises are allowed for you.
- Make sure that you take preventive measures towards seasonal allergies.