Headache is a very complaint from most people. Work stress, long working hours, family problems, and lack of sleep give rise to headaches every now and then. They are often brushed aside as nothing, but the pain of headache can make one miserable and inefficient in work. The symptom can be immediately removed by taking a pill which can have some after effects and will not cure the cause of the headache. Homemade remedies will be easier and not cause any danger on the body.
The different types of headaches are
- migraine headaches,
- cluster headaches,
- organic headaches and
- Rebound headaches.
In this complicated world with such tight schedules, quick deadlines, high tempers, and of course never ending tensions, headache is but inevitable. What happens when one suffers from terrible headache? Take a prescribed pill immediately or resort to some tried and tested solutions. In-spite of all this most of times we still suffer from this horrible pain for hours together or worst days together.
There are times we even feel enough of it, we just want to get rid of it once and for all. But is it that easy to stay away from these constant pains and unwanted mental stress permanently. Well not really, however there are few tips and tricks that could be handy at such an hour of need. Read further to find out what could be done to get rid of the terrible head ache instantly:
Apart from taking pills one could even resort to head massage. While I understand that in such painful condition massaging your own head can be quite nerve wracking however understand the fact that a mild head massage at the affected spot could relieve almost 60% of the pain instantly. If possible you could even visit a spa and get the massage done from a professional, which will help you feel relaxed and calm.
Drink plenty of water. Yes you heard it right, drink as much water as you possibly can at regular intervals. Headache is common when the body is dehydrated, drinking water helps in hydrating the body and also flushes out all the unwanted toxins. Keep sipping water whole day long. Apart from this you could also have fresh fruit juice just in case drinking water becomes too monotonous.
Drink a hot cup of coffee or tea. This is a very age old trick of getting rid the headache. As soon as you start feeling the pain, make a really hot cup of coffee and have it immediately. Remember do not take pills with coffee or tea. Have caffeine before or after taking the pill.
This might sound really crazy, but soaking yoru feet in a basin of warm water could help relieve headache to an extent. wondering how does it work? Well its quite simple, when the feet is soaked in warm water it tries to ease off the pressure from the blood vessels that are in your head. If the pain is really bad you could also add a tbsp of hot mustard powder to this water.
When tension is the main cause for your headache try to hold a hot compress against your forehead or at the back of the neck. The heat relaxes the knotted muscles in the affected spot and helps you feel rejuvenated.
You can try using a cold compress soon after you apply the hot compress on your head and neck. The cold compress tries to constrict the blood vessels by shrinking them and thus it stops applying pressure on the most sensitive nerves.
Use essential oils that has a sweet aromatic smell. Use this oil to massage your forehead and the affected area. Once done lie down and try to get involved in its aroma. This will help in easing out your tension and relaxing further on.
Apart from these tips you could also try the following tricks
Try to stay in a calm and quiet place when you are suffering from a terrible headache
Get into a dark place and relax for few hours
Have a hot cup of milk or some hot beverage
Refrain from having oil or junk food
Have plenty of water/juice
Listen to soft soothing music if possible
Take a hot water shower
If the problem still persists then visit a doctor before the pain gets worse.
Home remedies for treatment of headache
- Lavender Oil is a useful home remedy for headaches and migraines. It can be inhaled or applied locally.
- Peppermint Oil is a soothing remedy for tension headaches. The potent properties of this oil help control blood flow in the body. Normally headaches and migraines are caused by poor blood flow. Peppermint oil helps to open and close the vessels that promote flow. It also opens the sinuses so that more oxygen can get into the bloodstream.
- Basil Oil is a strong scented herb used in cooking. The oil derived from the basil plants is a useful home remedy for the cure of headaches. Basil works as a muscle relaxant and so it is helpful for headaches caused by tension and tight muscles.
- Changes in diet are one of the most useful remedy for reducing headaches. Certain foods are found to affect the frequency and seriousness of headaches. These include dairy products like peanut butter; chocolates; fruits like avocado, banana and citrus fruits; meats like bacon and hot dogs; red wine; and foods that are pickled or fermented.
- Cayenne is a natural remedy to treat pain and inflammation in general and not only headaches. Dilute ½ teaspoon cayenne powder in 4 ounces of warm water. Soak a cotton swab and tap on the forehead and inside each nostril until a burning sensation is felt.
- Almonds are a good remedy for everyday tension headaches.It acts as a pain reliever because it contains salicin. Eat a handful or two of these wholesome nuts when the feeling of ache starts to set in.
- Headaches, particularly migraines, can be relieved through the use of the fever few plant. Studies have shown that this plant helps to relax the tension and reduces inflammation and pain.
- Overworked minds and bodies create headaches which can be eased by stretching, relaxing and taking deep breaths. Few moves of yoga when the pain starts are helpful to reduce tension headaches. A regular practice of yoga for a few minutes daily is very useful. Take deep, full, breaths that start in the diaphragm and fill up the lungs. This will allow plenty of fresh oxygen to circulate through the blood and help relax the mind and body.
- Moving out in fresh air can help to loosen up tight muscles causing a headache. It also takes the mind away from the pain. Fresh air and change of scenery makes the mind and body feel refreshed.
- Change of posture can make a lot of difference when it comes to tension headaches. Sitting in the wrong posture for long hours will enhance headaches. If sitting work is for long hours make a conscious effort to sit up tall but relaxed, with shoulders back, chest open, and neck not sticking forward.
- Mental imagery has been shown to reduce mild or severe headaches. They help people to relax and loosen tension that would be causing headaches. This can be achieved by sitting quietly in a place with closed eyes and thinking of things other than the pain. The picture in the mind can be of rolling hills, Snow cap Mountains, waves in the sea or a colorful landscape.
- Reduce the intake of chocolates as the caffeine it contains can trigger headache.
- Holding a pencil between your teeth (can help a tension headache. This physical action activates the smile muscles while relaxing the jaws.
- Lack of water leads to dehydration which can alone be the cause of headache.Drink a big glass of water as soon as headache starts and then continue taking small sips for a long time. The pain is sure to ease down slowly.