Beta-carotene is a common carotene found in plants and fruits in red & orange pigments. It is one of the key sources of retinol or vitamin A. It is invaluable for hair growth and its multiple benefits.
Vitamin A is essential for healthy hair growth and Beta Carotene is a good source of it. Although, vitamin A is a vital nutrient that maintains overall health of the body, however it plays a key role for excellent hair growth.
Besides, vitamin A is very crucial to maintain the immune system and promote healthy skin, bones, and nails too.
How Beta Carotene works for healthy hair growth?
Beta Carotene is especially good for those having thinning hair. Generally the constantly thinning hair is a sign of a vitamin deficiency. Beta Carotene with vitamin A abundance helps in promoting hair growth and repairs fragile and damaged hair.
A healthy hair growth can be achieved by defying hair loss and strengthen hair roots with nutrients or by medications.
Although vitamin A is the core nutrient for hair growth, but excessive vitamins can also instigate hair loss. To avoid this issue, one should avoid taking supplements on their own and without the doctor’s advice.
What exactly is the Beta-Carotene?
The origin of Beta Carotene is from a Latin name of carrot, as this organic compound was sourced from the carrot roots. Beta carotene with chemical formula C40H56 is not an essential nutrient as such, but vitamin A extracted from it is very essential for human body.
Beta-carotene in food form is just perfect, as the body only takes vitamin A as much as it actually needs, not more. Often, people take supplements at will to refurbish vitamin A for their bodies, but often it becomes excessive and harmful for the hair growth.
A red and orange pigment found mostly in reddish veggies and fruits. Carrots for that matter are excellent source of beta carotene. The human body converts beta carotene and retinol or vitamin A that is a key nutrient for good overall health including hair growth.
We need vitamin A for our healthy skin, mucus membranes, immune system, good eye health, and vision besides the hair growth.
Facts of beta-carotene
- Beta carotene and other carotenoids are called ‘pro-vitamin A’ for being instrumental in the production of vitamin A in the body. Whereas, there are some carotenoids like lycopene, lutein, and zeaxanthin that the body cannot convert into vitamin A.
- Besides fruit and vegetables, Beta-carotene is also formed from several chemicals or from palm oil, algae and fungi.
- About 50% supply of vitamin A is sourced through Beta carotene and other carotenoids from different ways and from different sources.
Usages and benefits of beta-carotene
- Beta carotene like all carotenoids is an antioxidant and that protects the body from free radicals.
- Antioxidants consumed through food helps in hair growth and controlling other diseases and body functions.
- Beta-carotene helps in controlling development of dandruff and flakes on the scalp. You can use beta-carotene rich carrot oil for light massage on your scalp, as it offers strength to split and brittle hair strands and keep them shiny.
- It also checks hair breakage and rejuvenates dull and dry hair.
- One can enjoy good hair growth if four portions of beta carotene rich fruits or vegetables are taken each day.
- It controls cognitive decline because of its oxidative property.
How to get more Beta Carotene?
Healthier diet is the best source of beta-carotene and vitamin A. Here is what you should eat specifically to enjoy hair growth benefits.
This list comprises of some selected foods, although there are so many other sources of beta-carotene that you can find for yourself. It is subjective to where you live or what naturally is available in your surroundings.
- Chinese cabbage
- Dandelion leaves
- Herbs and spices including chili powder, oregano, paprika, parsley etc.
- Many margarines
- Sweet potatoes
The experts suggest focusing on food rich in beta-carotene. As described, supplements when in excess which can reverse the process and spoil your hair growth.