Every woman, whether they have long hair or short, thick or thin, everyone has experienced split ends and with time and again it has been necessary to get rid of them. Haircut is the most practiced and dependable way of getting rid of split ends, but some people tend to practice certain home remedies which not only help in preventing further damage to the hair but also helps in getting rid of split ends.
Split ends tend to occur again and again to one’s hair because of the damage to the ends of the hair due to constant contact with foreign materials, skin, pollution, heating products etc. It is unavoidable but can be prevented from happening frequently. Few practices which can be done at home to avoid this is by piling hair properly, from the roots till the scalp.
- Oiling hair helps in preventing the hair to get dry and split in the end, keeping it moisturized and nourished.
- The difference made to our hair by the use of chemical products like hair sprays, gels, etc cause severe damage to the hair. Avoiding these chemicals reduces the chances of split ends massively.
- Avoid applying heat to the hair as much as possible. Heat is commonly applied while straightening hair, curling, blow drying or any frequent treatments done in the salon. This reduces the nourishment and natural oil content of the hair and scalp, making it more prone to split in the ends and causes irreparable damage. While traveling around or while having exposure to dust or sun for a very long time, make sure to tie your hair and cover it, preferably with a scarf. This helps in preventing the hair to get damaged by UV radiation and pollution.
- Another way by which split ends could be reduced is by using non-chlorinated water. Chlorinated water tends to make the hair, scalp and the ends dry and prone to breakage quite often.
Home remedies to treat hair split ends
Aloe vera is amazing for your hair and can help fix a number of skin and hair concerns. With its ability to moisturize and condition the hair, it can help reduce split ends and reduce roughness in your hair. It is amazing at preventing hair loss and promotes the regeneration of new hair follicles. To avail the benefits of aloe vera, it is advised to go for pure aloe vera gel and apply it directly to the hair, leave on for 30 minutes and wash off before shampooing your hair. You can also mix the gel with other ingredients from the list like olive oil, jojoba oil or castor oil and lemon juice.
Cocoa butter is one of the best moisturizers for your skin and hair. If you are looking for something that can heal damaged hair, cocoa butter is amazing. With the high concentration of essential fatty acids that cocoa butter contains, it enables you to get smooth, shiny and flexible hair. Since it is readily available, it can be easily incorporated into your routine. Apply cocoa butter onto damp hair and massage in gently. Leave on for 30 minutes and wash off with natural shampoo. Optionally, you can use it with sesame/almond/jojoba oil to make a mixture and apply it to your hair as mentioned above.
Shea butter is amazing for your hair as well and forms a great protective coating for your hair. It is inexpensive and quite affordable. It has a lot of healthy fats to help nourish the hair and can prevent UV ray damage. It also contains anti-inflammatory properties to boost recovery of split hair ends and aids hair growth. To prepare the mixture, melt around 100g shea butter, let it cool in and add 20g apricot oil, stir and mix in 40g cornstarch, 10 drops rosemary essential oil and 20 drops lemongrass essential oils. Blend the mixture well, apply on damp hair and comb through. Let it sit and dry. Rinse off and shampoo your hair. Apply on alternate days for a month.
Beer is amazing for your hair and can help condition and moisturize your hair to cure split ends, stimulate regrowth and boost hair strength. With proteins and vitamin B, it helps you get shiny and silky-smooth hair. Use full bodied beers for a deep conditioning effect. Using beer on your hair is pretty simple and you don’t really need to wait. Wash your hair normally and use the beer as a conditioner. Let dry naturally. The smell will disappear once your hair dries completely.
Milk and cream
Milk is amazing for your hair and can help to remedy a number of common hair concerns like dull hair, cracked hair shafts, dehydrated and dry hair strands and split ends. Milk is full of proteins, vitamins, minerals and fats and can strengthen the hair cells and make the hair shaft stronger and smoother. Use un-boiled cow/goat’s milk and mix in with water. Apply on the split ends and massage your scalp with the mixture. Cover the hair with a warm towel, leave on for 15-20 minutes and wash off with a herbal shampoo.
Gelatine is one of the best and most effective treatments for split ends. Gelatine is rich in proteins and helps fix hair damage and other issues like split ends. Since gelatin has a number of beneficial nutrients it can help to fix hair damage. It can act as a coating to cover your hair strands and condition the hair by acting as a mask. Mix 1 tbsp unflavored gelatin in a cup of water with 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar to boost the effectiveness. Apply on the damaged areas only, leave on for 5 minutes and rinse off. Use this remedy on already shampooed hair.
According to multiple studies, coconut oil is amazing for hair problems. Coconut oil has been used for generations to strengthen the hair follicles and condition hair. Due to its molecular structure, it penetrates the cuticle which can help to nourish the hair and prevent hair damage. With lauric acid, capric acid and vitamin E, it prevents protein loss and combats hair dryness and damage. Massage a few drops of coconut oil into your scalp and leave it on overnight to combat split ends and other hair issues. Shampoo your hair the next day to get rid of the oiliness.
Treat the split ends wise
Even though the best remedy is chopping off split ends, which can easily be done using a pair of scissors at home, if not willing to visit a parlor. But there are various other natural remedies which are till date practiced to get rid of split ends.
- Using a papaya pack or mashed papaya on the ends of the hair keeps it moisturized. This is done only for a short period of time for about 30 minutes and it works wonders for the hair. Hard brittle ends are transformed into soft healthy ends.
- A combination of mustard and castor oil can be used in the ends of hair to bring back its moisture and luster. A combination of other oils like almond oil, olive oil etc. can also be used to rejuvenate dead ends. Dead hair ends need the nourishment which is given by these oils. They are applied generously, kept on for an hour or so and then washed with lukewarm water and shampoo.
- Deep conditioning the hair also helps and so does a mixture of eggs or honey.
- A combination of lentils along with fenugreek seed when combined with curd, largely helps the hair ends to get back the moisture back to the hair. Vitamin E capsules which are of course prescribed can also be taken to treat split ends.
A few more home remedies include using an avocado mask or even mayonnaise which is available at home. These oil containing foodstuff help to nourish the hair. Mashed bananas with a combination of other ingredients help in treating split ends and so does chamomile tea. All these are followed by lukewarm water shampoo.
Dietary changes are also important and it affects the hair and skin largely
So before practicing any of the above-mentioned remedies, make sure to check on your diet plans and regime. Make the changes you need and see the difference in the quality of your hair. Hair is something precious and time consuming to grow. Getting a haircut to remove sit ends is easy, but for people who want to avoid all that, the above-mentioned remedies work wonders and changes the texture of hair for good.