At an average, our hair grows around half an inch long every month. There are some factors like general health, genetic factors, lifestyle, well-being, etc. which affect the rate of our hair growth.
But there is simply no short cut to it. You can promote your hair growth by following some healthy tips and good hair care. Let us now see the top 10 ways to promote hair growth faster!
Hair tips for better hair growth
Having a healthy diet
Having a diet which is full of protein, vitamins and minerals is an important aid towards having healthier hair growth. Consume food which is high in vitamin A, B, C and E.
Vitamin B-complex is another very effective vitamin for promoting hair growth. For the minerals, try and consume iron, copper, zinc, selenium and magnesium.
Now include dairy products like milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. Add chicken, salmon, eggs, whole grain, broccoli, spinach, cabbage, parsley, bell peppers, avocado, grapefruit, oats and brown bread in your diet routine.
These foods help you nourish your scalp and add life to it. You could also have some juices of fruits and veggies, like orange, grapefruit or carrot, lettuce and beet.
Fishes, walnuts, beans, flax seeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids which are great for hair growth. Our hair shafts are made with omega 3 fatty acids for around 3%. Try and cook your meals in olive oil which serve for a similar purpose.
Usage of castor oil
Castor oil has a high content of vitamin E and essential fatty acids, like omega 9. This is why it is an essential ingredient which helps to promote hair growth.
- Castor oil is too thick to be applied directly, which is why you must dilute it with oil like coconut, almond or olive.
- Massage your hair with the oil mix and leave it on for 30-45 minutes. You could also slightly get it heated.
- Shampoo your hair and condition as regular.
- You could also add some essential oils like rosemary, eucalyptus, peppermint, thyme or lavender with the castor oil.
Regular scalp massage
When you massage your scalp, it promotes blood circulation which in turn stimulates our hair follicles. Along with that, deep condition the hair once a week with warm oil treatment or a deep conditioning hair mask.
- Apply warm oil or deep conditioner on your hair
- Run your fingers through the scalp in circular motions for 5 minutes
- Rinse your hair thoroughly
Flip hair upside down
This trick is quite popular for promoting hair growth. Flip your hair upside down by simply flipping the head over and stay put for 5 minutes everyday! It is believed to improve circulation and let you have lengthier locks.
Stress is one of the worst factors which contribute to hair loss. Stress disrupts the regular hair cycle and boosts strands of hair to fall out of place. You need to calm your senses and promote lesser stress!
For handling stress, try and mediate, do breathing exercises or practice other relaxation techniques. You must also try and get your beauty sleep, since your stress hormones get released during sleep.
Egg is an important ingredient from promoting better hair growth. They are full of protein and are added on with minerals like iron, sulfur, selenium, zinc, etc. Use an egg mask once or twice a month for promoting healthy hair and improved growth.
- Take an egg and beat well.
- Add 4 tablespoons of grape-seed oil
- Add few drops of lavender oil
- Blend well.
- Apply the mix on your scalp and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Shampoo thoroughly and condition like regular.
You can also,
- Take two egg yolks
- Add two tablespoons of extra-virgin oil
- Blend well and apply on your scalp
- Rinse with cool water and shampoo
- Beat an egg and add 1 cup of milk
- Add two tablespoons of extra-virgin oil
- Add lemon extract from half a lemon
- Apply the mix on scalp and let it absorb for 30 minutes
- Wash out and shampoo
Add herbs to your hair
Some herbs which promote hair growth include rosemary, nettle, catnip, horsetail, sage and burdock.
Rosemary is amazing for stimulating the hair follicles. It adds shine and luster to the strands and makes it look fuller.
You could also find alternatives to use green tea as it has polyphenols and anti-inflammatory properties which are related to hair growth. Most herbs promote blood circulation which adds on to the growth process.
- Steep any of the herbs in hot water for 20 minutes and then put it by
- Shampoo and condition hair like you normally do
- And then apply the herb water as a final rinse
It will promote hair growth and make it more manageable. You could also add infused herbs or essential oils to the shampoo you use. You can drink herbal teas for this as well.
Vitamin and herbal supplements
You can also have some supplements in addition to a healthy diet. Supplements of folic acid, kelp, biotin, flaxseed oil, saw palmetto ginseng, ginkgo biloba, etc. are some common elements for hair growth.
Supplements of folic acid and biotin will have Vitamin B complex which aids to better hair growth. Though, you have to consult a doctor before starting off this tip.
Nourish hair with aloe vera
Aloe vera improves hair growth and protects from hair loss. You also reduce dandruff and restore the natural shine.
- Take fresh aloe vera gel and add some lemon juice to it
- Apply and let it soak for 20 minutes
- Shampoo the hair and repeat once a week
- Combine the aloe vera gel with half an amount of coconut milk and wheat germ oil.
- Apply on hair let it absorb
- Rinse well
You can also drink aloe vera juice regularly.
Treat medical issues
Sometimes hair fall or low hair growth isn’t normal. Try and identify underlying problems which are creating hair problems so that you can address them soon.
- Trying to boost your hair growth will not be fruitful, if you have health problems like hormonal imbalance, thyroid disorder, severe infection, chronic illness, etc.
- Some medication like birth control pills, anabolic steroids, beta-blockers, anticonvulsants, antidepressants might result in problems like thinning of hair or excess hair loss.
- Scalp infections, dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, etc. are conditions where your scalp starts itching and you have mild hair loss.
Along with these home remedies, you could also check out the usage of gooseberry/amla, fenugreek, mayonnaise for hair, etc.
These are good ways to promote healthier locks and add brightness to life! Remember that good hair routine is needed for all types of hair. Maintain the tresses with proper care and reduce excess styling and sun exposure.
More tips for good hair care
Use conditioner with shampoo
It goes without saying that shampoo and conditioner needs to go hand in hand. The simply tip is that your hair should be conditioned every time it is wet.
With excess styling and coloring, the strands of our hair thin down towards the tips. This is also one reason why regular conditioning is important.
With regular conditioning your hair tends to become thick as the strands are added with proteins in the shaft. They are also sealed at the cuticles from prevention of further damage.
Don’t use shampoo every time you wet your hair
At first, it is healthier to skip some days from adding water on your hair. You don’t need to wash your hair everyday. You should also not use shampoo daily.
All shampoos come with chemicals, which should not be added with such close frequency. Shampoo is used for cleansing hair and removing dirt and buildup.
But with regular usage of shampoo it can steal the natural oils of your strands. Be gentle with your hair when it is about shampooing. Let the strands lather up gently after which you can rinse it away.
Apply an oil mask weekly
One of the best ways to take care of your hair is by giving it regular nourishment. One of the easiest ways to do so is adding oil weekly. It is even better if you prepare a proper oil mask as that doubles up the nourishment.
Be it castor oil or coconut oil, you should just known what suits well and what you can add to your hair. You can also take 1 cup of unrefined coconut oil, add 1 tablespoon of almond, macadamia and jojoba oil each.
Apply the mix and let it sit for about half hour. Wash with shampoo and conditioner and repeat once a week.