The summer season before the monsoons is the time of scorching unbearable heat always wishing for a shower to cool down the weather? Along with bringing down the temperature, bringing relief from heat monsoons come with a set of problems and diseases of different types.
The rainy season comes with a host of viral, fungal and bacterial diseases that can range from simple cold and cough and stomach upsets, to major diseases like, dengue, typhoid, malariagastroenteritis, cholera, food poisoningjaundice, andpneumonia. Many types of skin infections are caused by the fungus and bacteria that develops with the moisture content in the air. Other diseases are spread by mosquitoes, infected water and food
Infections increase during the monsoon season because of the high content of water in the air; many germs thrive and grow in high water content areas. Mosquitoes, flies and other disease borne insects lay their eggs on stagnant waters and multiply at a great speed. The temperature which is neither too low nor too high during this season is favorable for the growth of germs. The leaking walls and roofs, overflowing gutters, waterlogging and impure drinking water adds to a number of other infections.
Ways to get rid of infections during monsoons
- The only prevention from these infections can be vaccinations against some diseases and a high quality of personal and environmental hygiene.
- Many illnesses during the monsoon season can be prevented by frequently washing hands with soap during the day.
- Water is the commonest source of infection during the monsoons. During heavy rains the water coming in the taps gets filled mud and germs. This water can be purified by filtering or boiling. Most disease common in this season like food poisoning, cholera, typhoid is water borne diseases.
- Food like water is another common source that causes infectious diseases during the monsoons. The ideal food practice is to eat freshly cooked food during monsoons and eat the food stored food in the refrigerator with caution. Food can get decomposed by changing its color, taste and smell. Food from roadside vendors must be completely avoided during monsoons. If one is forced to eat outside food the choice must be for hot, steaming or fried foods. There are fewer chances of them being contaminated. Uncooked foods and salads must be limited in this season.
- One must stay away from dirty water.Leptospirosis is a common disease of the liver during monsoons which is caused by a germ which thrives in gutters and overflow waters. They enter the human body through open wounds and cuts. The person gets high fever and jaundice and if not treated in time may become life threatening.
- Stagnant water must not be allowed to remain near the houses. These places are ideal breeding grounds for malaria, chikagunia and dengue causing mosquitoes. All water tanks wells, overhead tanks and reservoirs must be kept covered. Mosquito nets can be used to reduce mosquito bites.
- Care of the skin from moisture is essential during the monsoons. Wet clothes, socks and shoes should be removed at once as they can cause infective skin diseases. Washing hands regularly and having daily bath will help in keeping the excess oil away.
‘Cleanliness is next to Godliness’. Is a true saying for the monsoon season? A clean body and a neat, clean environment are very important for a healthy body and mind. The dark clouds and the incessant rain during monsoons sometimes make the atmosphere dull and dreary. The heavy mood has impact on the workplace as well as in the homes. If this is joined with dampness dirt and dust and a host of mosquitoes one starts feeling more depressed. The best way to enjoy the romantic monsoon season is to keep the body and surroundings clean, immediately changing to dry clean clothes, eating fresh and hot food and drinking pure water and hot beverages.
Natural remedies for common cold and sore throat during monsoons
Common Cold usually catches up during this weather. Regular intake of black pepper powder and honey in the morning is best to manage the common cold. If it is accompanied with fever a decoction of ginger, pepper, long pepper and tulsi can be taken.
Sore throat normally accompanies cold and cough. The best home remedy for sore throat is to gargle with hot spinach water.
Ways to stay away from infections in monsoons
It is not always possible to have water and soap every time. Especially when you are in office and you need to attend an important client meeting just the next day. Also when you are with your family in a trip and you are just in the middle of the way where there are no such facilities around. The best way to stay away of such infection will be using sanitizer. The alcohol present in it is good to damage all microorganisms.
No street food
The street food is one of the major reasons behind infection. Since those food are prepared in open air and that too in polluted environment, the microbes can easily attack the food particles. As you consume such microbe’s rich food, number of illness and diseases will get connected to your body. Thus, it is better to avoid such street food during the monsoon. It is better to have food prepared at home.
Along with food, water is also a medium through which the microbes get transmitted. Un filtered and un-boiled water will be a curse. The diseases such as diarrhea, cholera will become an epidemic if you are repeatedly consuming water from any source. The best way to stay away from such infection will be consuming the water that is absolutely boiled. Also make sure the boiling temperature is 100 degrees as this is the temperature where all the microbes and bacteria are killed.
Stay in good hygiene
Proper hygiene is an important issue if you are willing to help your family and yourself stay away from the microbe’s infection. If there is a poor sanitation right at your home, you have a good chance to get infected with bacteria. Both common and uncommon bacteria and micro organisms can attack you if you have improper hygiene. You must be very cautious about your hygienic condition in order to stay healthy during monsoon. When the monsoon wind blows, you must make your mind capable enough to stay away from such infection. Be hygienic and enjoy monsoon.