The eyebrows might take a very small part on the face, but they actually play a very big role in how the face looks overall. Eyebrows serve the important purpose of framing the face, giving it definition and hence the shape of your eyebrows needs to be just perfect. Now the point we would like to highlight here is that, there is no one-size-fits-all theory when it comes to the eyebrows. The shape of your eyebrows should be determined depending on the shape of your face, and there is every chance that a unique eyebrow shape will suit you much better.
So, in reality, shaping the brows might not be actually that simple as removing other facial hairs. To get those perfectly groomed brows you need to be cautious of a many things. The first point that you need to consider is the shape of the brow according to your face shape. The next point should be placing the arch rightly on the brow. Taming the head of the brow and dealing with the tail of the brow is the other points to keep in mind. First we will start with picking the right shape for your brows, which is certainly one of the most important things to consider before you start.
Know the perfect brow shape for your face shape
Here is a guide to help you select the perfect brow shape according to your face shape and the first tip is to check out this list to find out the right brow shape for your face shape.
- Oval: Oval face comes with a broad forehead and prominent cheekbones. It is a perfect face shape and if you have an oval face, your aim should be to keep it that way. A soft angled eyebrow can suit this face shape best.
- Long: Long face comes with features elongated vertically. While shaping the eyebrows of a long face the goal should be to make the long face look shorter. For girls with long face a mostly horizontal eyebrow shape with a little curve at the end can work best, because the more or less horizontal eyebrows can make a long face appear shorter.
- Round: Round faces are widest at the cheeks and an eyebrow shape that makes the round face appear longer will suit best on this face shape. High arch eyebrows are considered most suitable for rounder faces as it adds more angular dimension to the face helping the face appear longer.
- Square: The problem with the square face shape is that here everything is too angular. The jawline is extremely prominent and to give this face shape the right looks the goal should be to soften or balance the prominent jawline. Softly rounded brows are best suited for this face shape.
- Heart: The heart shaped faces usually have a pointed chin and a prominent forehead. So, here the objective is to make the chin and the forehead appears more balanced. You need an arched eyebrow for balancing this face shape. Your brows should be tight and not very bushy, but do not over pluck to make a rainbow eyebrow.
- Diamond: Diamond face shapes are highly angular and are widest at the temples. The objective for this face shape should be to soften the features and to make the widest part appear less wide. A curved eyebrow shape suits best for diamond shaped face as it helps in balancing the high angularity, making the features softer.
Place that arch at the right place
Softer, angular or curvier no matter the type of brow that suits you best, you always have to take the best care to place the arch of the brow at the right point. Improper placement of the arch is sure to take a toll on the overall look. Centered arch is not something that is preferred by the professional artists and in fact, a centered arch will tend to create a rainbow eyebrow which is certainly not the best way to go. According to the best professionals in the field, the arch of your brow should be pointed at the 2/3rd way out of the brow. So, before you start shaping your eyebrows, take note of where you should place the arch.
Take care of the head and the tail of the brow
To get that perfect brow, you actually need to focus on the head and the tail of the brows as well. The head of the brow should start right from the sides of your nose bridge. Keeping the heads of the brows too close is certainly not a good idea, but at the same time, check out that your brows do not start much away from the nose bridge. In case your brows point inwards at the head, you might need to tame it a bit. As far as the tail of the brow is concerned, your all time objective should be to keep it long. As a general rule, try to keep the brow tails, in a straight line joining the side of your nose and the corner of your eyes. However, do never have brows longer than the point from where the hairline starts, that will give your eyes a droopy appearance.
The brow density is also important
The current trend does not actually vow for thin eyebrows, rather the much talked about power brows are now in trend. However, the thick and dense eyebrows might not be the right pick for every face shape. Girls with long or heart shaped face should try to keep their eyebrows more neat and tight. However, going too thin is certainly not what we are suggesting here. If you have a face shape of either of the two types, just make sure that you keep your brows less dense. The other face shapes can generally pull off the thick and dense brow look, but it might also depend on other facial features as well.
You cannot make the two brows match exactly
One common complaint of many women is that their eyebrows do not match exactly. While shaping your brows you have to keep in mind that for your eyebrows to be completely symmetrical, your face needs to be a perfect symmetry as well. So, as hardly any face has that perfect symmetry, so it is usual for your brows to not to match each other perfectly. Do not over pluck your brows in order to attain that perfect symmetry, which is not possible most of the times. While both of your brows should have the same shape and your objective should be to give them the arch at the same point, the differences between the two is only normal.
Cleaning up the top of the brow is not a crime
The normal trend of brow shaping has been to remove the hairs from the lower section of the brows, while the trend is perfectly okay, cleaning up the top of the brow is not a crime either. In fact, at times you need to opt for top cleaning in order to give your brows the right shape. However, when you are cleaning the top, it is really important that you ensure that you are removing only the extra hairs, because plucking out even a single wrong hair from the top of your brow might make a gap in the eyebrow line. So, while cleaning up the top, be careful about your work.
You do not need a magnifier while shaping your brows
When you are shaping your brows it is best to have a look at them in the mirror from a distance. A too close look will always make the flaws more prominent, which is sure to not to be noticed by anyone except you. So, when you are shaping your brows, do not hold the mirror too close to your face, hold it at a reasonable distance and then shape your brows accordingly.
Getting perfectly shaped brows with makeup
If you have sparse brows or in case you have over tweezed your brows, you can always fill them up with the right makeup. However, while filling up your brows with makeup, it is really important to pick the right products and the right technique; otherwise, you will end up with an artificial painted appearance. For getting those perfect brows with makeup, you will need a brow powder, brow pencil and a tinted brow gel (optional). You need to pick the products in the right shade to match your skin tone perfectly.
- First draw an outer line of the eyebrow with a sharp eyebrow pencil tracing your original brows. Keep your face shape in mind to determine the exact shape of the brow.
- Now fill in the brows with hair like strokes of the brow pencil.
- Do not forget to buff your filled in brows lightly in order to get a more natural look.
- You should end up with applying a highlighter beneath your brow for making the arch more prominent.
- Using a brow gel will ensure that the hairs and the makeup stay right in place for long.