Magnesium is required in the body for different functions. Major functions of magnesium include blood sugar control, energy metabolism, nerve function, and protein synthesis. Magnesium deficiency is not diagnosed by a blood test. Most magnesium in the body is stored in the bones and not in the blood. Magnesium deficiency can lead to problems like type 2 diabetes, heart attack, osteoporosis, migraine headaches and constant tiredness.
Why magnesium does to your body?
Magnesium is in our bones, muscles and in other cell types and body fluids hence almost all the systems in our body cardiovascular system, digestive system, nervous system, muscles, kidneys, liver, hormone-secreting glands, and brain all rely on magnesium for their metabolic function.
- Helps absorb calcium for bones and teeth health
- Prevents abnormal blood clotting in the heart, attacks and strokes
- Healthy blood pressure levels
- Proper muscle function
Magnesium is involved in at least 300 biochemical reactions in the body, thus a deficiency of this mineral can lead to cardiovascular related diseases, diabetes, high blood pressure, anxiety disorders, migraines, osteoporosis, and cerebral infarction.
However, make sure the amount of magnesium you consume or intake should not be excess of 400mg can lead to diarrhea.
Health benefits of magnesium
- Magnesium plays an important role in bone metabolism. Bone integrity is created and maintained with the help of Magnesium deficiency leads to less absorption of calcium in the intestines and more loss of calcium and magnesium in the urine. All this can further lead to a great amount of bone loss.
- Magnesium also plays an important role in producing energy by the cells most chemical reactions required for energy production cannot take place without sufficient magnesium. Magnesium deficiency can lead to fatigue.
- Magnesium helps in keeping the balance of the nervous system. Deficiency can lead to depression
- Magnesium is also linked in the process of controlling inflammation to support the immune system. Magnesium deficiency can lead to chances of heart diseases, diabetes and overweight problems.
- High or low blood sugar level can be controlled with magnesium intake.
Since magnesium is an essential for the health of the body, the intake of foods that are rich in magnesium must be increased. Organic foods are rich in magnesium. The foods that contain the highest amount of magnesium are green leafy vegetables. There are several other foods that are rich in magnesium.
Spinach is packed with the highest levels of Magnesium while others include Kale, Swiss chard, etc
Broccoli, mustard greens, beans, lentils, summer squash, turnip greens, cucumber, green beans, kale, celery, fennel, asparagus, tomato, Brussels sprouts, peppermint, Black-eyed Peas, Kidney Beans, Chickpeas.
Fish especially Halibut, Mackerel, Pollock, Turbot, and Tuna are an immense sea food sources of magnesium.
Nuts & seeds
- flax seeds
- Squash seeds
- Brazil Nuts
- Pine nuts
- Mixed Nuts
- Grape Fruit
Brown rice, Millet, Bulgur, Buckwheat, wild rice, whole wheat, low fat diary, dark chocolates are some of the magnesium rich food sources.
Foods rich in magnesium
- A soybean contains a high amount of fiber and is richin minerals, amino acids and vitamins. Besides soybean other legumes like chick peas, black eyed beans, and kidney beans are rich sources of magnesium.
- Avocadois a storehouse of multi-vitamins, healthy nutrients like magnesium and chemical compounds that combat diseases.
- Bananas are famous as a bone strengthening agent that is rich in fiber and Vitamin C. Other fruits like figs, blackberries, grapefruit and strawberries are also a good source of magnesium.
- Dark Chocolate is an efficient agent that helps in increasing the magnesium level in the body. It gives instant energy and helps to lower blood pressure and improve the flow of blood.
- Low-Fat Yogurt most milk products are rich in calcium and magnesium. Low fat yogurt is a wonderful choice for good health of the bones.
- Whole Grains are a good source of magnesium which helps to keep the body active and energized. These grains also contain proteins and complex carbohydrates.
- Coffeeis a beverage that contains high amount of magnesium and Vitamin B. It is highly energizing drink that can be taken in the morning.
- Cacaois found to be the richest source of magnesium in the world. It is also rich in proteins, iron, fiber and several other nutrients required by the body.
- Wild Salmon is a good food containing most nutrients and minerals that are required to maintain the health of the body. This fish is rich in omega 3 fatty acids, magnesium, vitamin D and vitamin B12.
- Wild Riceis a good source of potassium which is found to be healthy and tasty. Besides magnesium wild rice is rich in zinc, iron, and fiber and foliate.
Ways to add magnesium in the daily diet
- Kelp is one of the richest se vegetable containing high amounts of magnesium. A small strip can be added to soups or kelp powder that is available in the market can be added to add magnesium to other foods.
- Wheat germ is a rich source of magnesium. It is available in cereal form which can be added to soups, smoothies and salads
- Buckwheat is a fruit seed that contains high amount of magnesium. It can be cooked and eaten on its own or mixed with soups, porridges and used in making pancakes.
- Water is rich in magnesium. It should form an important part of the daily diet.
- Blackstrap molasses can be conveniently added to cereals and other foods to make them nutritious and rich in magnesium.
- Dried Coriander seeds or powder gives a special taste and adds magnesium and several other nutrients to the meals. It has citrus flavor which helps to enhance the taste of the dishes.