The common complaint that comes from many people while addressing to nails is splits and breakages. Our fingernails are made of a protein called keratin, and there are more in addition it. The factors for the nails breaks varies but brittle nails are mostly due to the reason that they are too dry and are soft. According to health care professionals, there are two better suggestions: Applying moisturizer daily to the nails and to discard the harsh chemicals.
When we apply the moisturizer to the nails, they stay hydrated and the water content present in the nails won’t jump out, which is required for a strong and health nail.
Sum up to the moisturizing treatment, keeping away the nails from harsh chemicals is must and should. You need to stay away from acidic food items like citrus fruits:oranges, lemons and cleaning products etc. When it is must for you to deal with cleaning products wear gloves to shield your skin and nails from those chemicals. While you are doing wet work choose vinyl gloves where as cotton gloves for dry work.
Our finger nails and toe nails protect us from several injuries, In such cases they get injured in the way of duty. These nail injuries result for the infections, bruising and in some cases stunt nail growth.
One can prevent the nail injuries by keeping their nails short and being attentive towards the things that you are making will help to escape from the accidental injuries like shutting the finger in a door or drawer. Don’t use your nails while working tools.
In the nails ruining list of nails, yeast and fungus are active participants. One may more likely to get the toe infections rather than the finger nails. This problem is similar to the athlete’s foot because the fungus which is causing the toe nail infection is the same culprit behind the athlete’s foot. Athlete’s foot is a common infection which can build up in moist and warm areas like inside of the socks.
To protect the nails from fungal infections, make sure that your nails are clean and dry. You can try a baking soda scrub to make them clean and soak the ingrowth in salt water to make them clean infection free. An another precaution is, don’t bite your nails.
It is recommended to consume the tropical antifungal medications that containsmiconazole and clotrimazole if you got any signs of foot injections, but if the infection went under a nail, you have to take prescription strength medication.
Some studies have proved that taking the vitamin biotin helps in the development of the thick nails, it enhances the hardness and minimizes the chances of breaks and splits. Increase your biotin intake with the supplements, because most of the food we eat contains of the b vitamin from bananas to carrots. When you look for other dietary, there are no exact food products which strengthens the nails and increases the nail health.
Home remedies for brittle nails
It is an effective remedy for maintaining strong nail health. Horsetail is an essential herb to cure brittle nails and remove white spots from your nails.
- In a cup of hot water add 2 teaspoon of dried horsetail herb
- Steep the solution for 10 minutes.
- When the solution cools down, soak your nails in it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After soaking your nails in the solution, pat dry them and rub some olive oil.
- Let your nails soak the oil for rest of the night.
- Practice this method before going off to sleep, thrice a week.
- Alternatively, you can prepare horsetail tea and drink it twice a week.
A mineral packed remedy for curing nail issues. Sea salt is very much helpful and effective as it can add shine to your nails, strengthen your nails and soften the cuticles.
- In a small bowl of warm water add 2 teaspoon of sea salt.
- Add two drops each of myrrh and lemon essential oils, wheat germ oil and frankincense in the mixture.
- For 10 to 15 minutes soak your nails in the mixture.
- After 10 to 15 minutes of soaking, wash it and apply hand cream on your nails.
- Apply this remedy once every alternative day for a few weeks.
Lemon juice is a very well known remedy for skin problems but is also an effective remedy for nail issues too. It can improve brittle nail conditions, add shine to your nails and gives a whiter look to them.
- Take a small bowl and put 2 tablespoon of lemon juice with 3 tablespoon of olive oil in it.
- Heat the mixture for few minutes until it feels hot when touched.
- Use a cotton ball to dab it on your nails before going off to bed.
- Let your nails absorb the solution for the rest of the night.
- You can also blend equal amount of fresh lemon juice and argan oil.
- Dip your nails in the solution and let them soak it.
- Apply any of the above procedures once a day for a week.
Blackstrap molasses are considered as a good source of iron and several other nutrients which are beneficial for our health. Lack of iron may cause brittle nails so blackstrap molasses is your cure for this condition.
- In a glass of warm milk or water, add 2 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses.
- Stir well and consume it 2 times a day for faster results.
- Avoid this remedy if you are a patient of diabetes.
Vitamin E oil
Lack of moisture is one of the core reasons for brittle nails. Vitamin E oil is one effective remedy for hydrating and moisturizing your nails. It helps in nourishing the cuticles too.
- Extract the oil from a vitamin E capsule by breaking it.
- Massage the oil gently on your nails for 5 minutes before going off to sleep.
- It will increase the blood circulation and moisturize your nails.
- Practice this method for 2 weeks on a daily basis.
- Else you can consume vitamin E capsules too.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil can cure any sort of nail issues, especially the ones caused due to fungal infections. It is known as a powerful antiseptic to fight germs and infections. Tea tree oil does not only cures brittle nails, but also treats discoloration of nails and softens the cuticles.
- Make a mixture of 3 to 4 drops of tea tree oil with 1½ tablespoon of vitamin E oil.
- Apply it on your nails and massage for few minutes.
- Let your nails absorb the benefits of the mixture for around 30 minutes.
- Pat your nails dry after washing it off with lukewarm water.
- Apply some moisturizing lotion or cream on them.
- Practice this method twice or thrice a week.