Acne scars are formed when the pimples become inflamed due to deposition of excess oil that is secreted by the oil glands during puberty, adolescence or sometimes in adults too. Along with oil, dead skin cells, and growth of bacteria in the roots of hair follicles clogs the pores, thus there is a painful and irritating swelling of the region. Sometimes these appear as a minor blemish and heal on its own, but more often they become bigger causing redness and itchiness and leave behind scars which are hard to heal.
There are many products available in the market along with some home remedies that one can follow to treat acne scars. Nowadays Bio oil is known to be one of the best treatments to get rid of acne scars. But before starting on any medication be sure to consult a dermatologist who can guide you to use whatever is good for you.
To know more about Bio-Oil
Bio Oil is medicated oil that is rich in vitamins and goodness extracted from plants which can work on different types of scars, like acne scars, sunspots or scars due to pigmentation and stretch marks too. Its main ingredient is PurCellin Oil which helps the skin in the absorption of the other ingredients, by moisturizing and hydrating the skin, controlling inflammation and in cell regeneration. It also claims to be not very oily and can be easily used on the face and will not block the pores.
How does it work on acne scars?
- The vitamin A present in Bio Oil exfoliates the skin making it look healthier. This vitamin A-enriched oil forms collagen which improves the elasticity of the skin and does not cause any irritation.
- Bio Oil contains vitamin E which helps to moisturize the skin. Due to its antioxidant nature, it keeps free radicals that damage the skin, away.
- Flower extracts like Calendula oil also act as a moisturizer and work on dry skin, keeps inflammation away.
- The bacteria that grow on clogged pores are destroyed by Lavender oil, which also has a soothing effect on the skin.
- The growth of microorganisms is reduced due to the antiseptic and antimicrobial properties of Rosemary oil present in Bio Oil, thus helping in healing wounds.
- The soothing effect of Chamomile oil works especially on sensitive skin and makes the skin look brighter.
Just take a few drops of Bio Oil and apply it directly on the acne scars or the affected areas that have become discolored. Then gently massage the oil using circular strokes until the oil is well absorbed by the skin. This procedure can be repeated twice daily for about 3 months according to its manufacturers.
Some advantages and disadvantages
- It is readily available at any nearby store and affordable.
- It may not work well on skin that is too oily or on acne that is aggravated due to excess oil secretion.