Betel leaves hold a sacred mention in the Indian and African traditions. They are used in religious ceremonies, eaten as a mouth freshening agent, and used in Chinese medicine for their therapeutic properties.
Betel leaves are often referred to as the ‘green gold’ for their antibacterial, antiprotozoal, antifungal properties and loads of medicinal benefits.
What are the benefits of betel leaves?
As per folk medicine, betel leaves can help in treating a number of ailments. Some of their amazing benefits include:
- Manage diabetes by regulating blood sugar levels.
- Promote dental health.
- Accelerate the healing of wounds, cuts, and abrasions.
- Reduce cough and congestion.
- Curbs hair fall and reduce hair damage.
How can you use betel leaves for hair growth?
Betel leaves have been used in Ayurvedic practice since ages for their healthcare and beauty benefits. A hair mask or hair oil made up of betel leaves not only help in repairing the damaged hair to the root but also restore their natural shine, curb hair loss, and promote hair growth. You can prepare a simple anti-hair-fall hair mask at home using betel leaves using the following ingredients:
- Crushed betel leaves
- Sesame oil or coconut oil
Prepare and apply the anti-hair-fall mask as follows:
- Grind some betel leaves, add a few drops of sesame oil or coconut oil.
- Apply the paste to every section of your hair and scalp.
- Leave the mixture on your scalp for an hour.
- Rinse off using a mild shampoo.
- Towel dry your hair.
How to use betel leaves for regular hair care?
You can avail the long-term benefits of betel leaves by preparing a DIY oil at home. You will require the following ingredients:
- Betel leaves
- Sesame oil or coconut oil
- Hibiscus leaves
- Basil leaves
- Curry leaves
Here is how you can prepare an oil with betel leaves for regular hair care to promote growth and curb hair fall:
- Take an iron vessel, pour in some sesame oil or coconut oil, and put it on the burner for heating. Use a double boiler method.
- Once the oil is fairly warm, add torn betel leaves, hibiscus leaves, basil leaves, and curry leaves. Keep the flame low and let it simmer until the color of the oil changes to dark brown.
- Switch off the flame and allow the mixture to cool. Strain the mixture and store in a glass spray bottle.
- Apply and leave the oil on your hair for at least 2 hours before washing. Use herbal shampoo and conditioner for washing and treating your hair.
In case you cannot find fresh ingredients, you can purchase the infusions. In that case, slightly warm the sesame oil and keep it in a glass mason jar. Add all the dry ingredients accordingly. The oil should cover all dry ingredients.
Leave some excess oil about the level of ingredients to ensure proper infusion over time. Keep the jar in sunlight during the day. Put the sealed container back inside during the night. The color of the oil will change completely in a week or two. Filter the oil and store for later use.