Acne or inflamed pimples is a common problem that most teenagers or those attaining puberty face as there is a hormonal change in the body. Many adults also have acne which may be due to stress or from overexposure to the sun. Even unhealthy diet intake may be another cause of acne. Acne or painful pimples grow when there is excessive oil secretion from the oil glands of the face, neck, and shoulder, back and the chest, that clog the pores of the hair follicles and helps bacteria to grow which causes infection. These form red, itchy pimples which leave behind ugly scars that make the skin dull.
There are many home remedies available to remove acne. Aloe Vera is known to have many properties that can help to remove acne and the scars.
Properties of aloe vera
- It contains growth hormones which when applied to the affected area or taken internally helps in collagen synthesis.
- It prevents microorganisms to grow in the pores of the hair follicles as it is antibacterial and anti inflammatory.
- The excess oil that is secreted by the skin is easily absorbed with regular use of aloe vera, thus there are no more clogged pores which leads to acne.
- Aloe Vera contains such proteins which also prevents irritation and inflammation of pimples.
- It is also antioxidant in nature which keeps free radicals away, and the vitamins E and C and zinc lightens the scars on the skin.
- Aloe Vera acts as an astringent, keeping the pores clean so that there is no oil, dirt or dead skin cell accumulation.
- Aloe Vera has healing properties that help in the growth of cells and can be used on scars left behind by acne.
Some procedures of using aloe vera
- Break open an aloe vera leaf and scrape off the gel. Apply this gel directly on the face, which has been cleaned with soap and water and completely dried. Leave this on the affected areas for some time. Then apply a second coat while massaging the affected areas and wash with water. This process can be done twice daily and can also be left on overnight. This is a very good way of getting rid of acne and the acne scars.
- Prepare a face mask by mixing some lemon juice and honey with aloe vera gel. Apply this mixture on the affected areas and let it on for some time. With the help of fingers gently massage the face pack and, then wash with cool water. This face pack should not be used on open scars as it may lead to a lot of discomforts.
- Pinch of turmeric and aloe vera gel mixture, when applied over the affected areas and left on for a few minutes, and then massaged gently in circular strokes and washed off with cold water, acts as a scrub and as an antiseptic which lightens the scars. This process can be done thrice a day to get desired results.
- Almond powder and aloe vera gel are mixed to form a paste and then spread all over the affected areas with the help of fingers and left on for quite some time until it dries up. With the help of wet fingers remove the pack while scrubbing the areas gently and then clean with water. This scrub helps to get rid of all the dirt and dust and dead cells, thus cleaning the face. And lightening the scars. This process can be done daily to get good results.
- If you are allergic to plants of the same family, like onions and garlic, then avoid using aloe vera too.
- Always consult a doctor before taking aloe vera juice internally.
- Only the gel part is used for acne scar treatment.
- Start by taking a steam before aloe vera application as this enlarges the pores and the aloe vera can work from the inside of the pores.
- Remember to keep the affected areas moisturized with aloe vera moisturizers for better results.
- Consult a skin specialist if there is an uncomfortable sensation of the acne scars.