Hair serum is a cream or a liquid, which penetrates the hair cuticles for deep nourishment and forms a coating around each hair strand leading to healthy and manageable hair.
Readymade serums available in the market are quite expensive, chemical based and often have many side effects. The good news is that you can easily make hair serum with natural ingredients in the following ways!
For oily hair
The substance called sebum produced by sebaceous gland causes excess oil in hair and makes it look greasy. Essential oils like geranium oil, peppermint oil and lemon oil control the gland and maintain proper level of oil.
- Mix a few drops of above mentioned essential oil with 100ml coconut oil.
- Pour the mixture in an airtight bottle and shake well.
- Store it in a dark and cool place.
- To prevent oiliness apply this liquid serum on dry or damp hair daily.
- Massage your hair with serum oil every night before sleep.
For hair growth
The mixture of avocado oil, almond oil and vitamin E helps to reduce hair fall, boosts hair growth, improves blood circulation in the scalp, and improves hair texture thus accelerating hair growth.
- In a container put 4 tablespoon of almond oil.
- Break 3 capsules of Vitamin E and mix it with almond oil
- Add 2 tablespoon of avocado oil to the mix and shake well.
- Apply it all over your scalp with your fingertips.
- To spread the serum equally on each hair strand, comb your hair in downward motion.
- Do it twice a day. Wash off with mild shampoo.
For dry and frizzy hair
Castor oil keeps hair moisturised for a long time while essential oils like lavender and rosewood make your hair lustrous and manageable.
- Mix 3-4 drops of rosewood and lavender oil with castor oil in an airtight bottle.
- Shake the mixture well and store in a cool and dry place.
- Massage your scalp with this liquid serum daily for 10-15 minutes.
- Leaving the serum oil overnight gives quick and effective results.
For slip ends
Aloe Vera gel repairs damaged hair strands while the fatty acids in coconut oil reduce split ends by closing hair fossils. Tea tree oil maintains scalp health and facilitates uninterrupted hair growth.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of Aloe Vera gel, castor oil, coconut oil and few drops of tea tree oil in a bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to a bottle, shake well and store for future use.
- Apply the serum on entire hair including the split ends.
- Massage it for 5 minutes and leave it untouched for the next 20 minutes or overnight.
- Wash off with your regular shampoo.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a week.
For straight hair
Jojoba oil and soy oil makes your hair shiny, smooth and tangle free while coconut oil and olive oil provide deep hair nourishment making it more manageable and less wavy.
- Take 2 tablespoons of all the essential oils mentioned above and mix well.
- Store it in an airtight bottle.
- Slightly heat the serum and apply on every hair strand until it turns straight.
- Leave it undisturbed for 20 minutes and wash off with any hair straightening shampoo.